What made Michael Jackson a musical genius? serious question, no drama plz lol!

bzebabe

This doesn't make him a musical genius. I'm sure we're all aware of his influences and fame but again that doesn't equate to being a musical genius.

We have names like 'Britney Spears' ingrained in the pop psyche but I wouldn't consider her a musical genius. Would you?

The questions are - Could Michael Jackson create a whole album without the assistance of today's hottest producer/songwriter? Could MJ write, produce and compose a hit or memorable classic for other artists? Could MJ solely create his own sound or genre of music? Could MJ do genres of music outside of the typical Pop and R&B/Soul? To me that's what makes a musical genius.

Who could? Hell a dude playing on a streetcorner for quarters that writes his own music and makes a cd to sell out of the trunk of his Ford fiesta™ could be making the best music you ever heard. Except yea you havent heard it. If the criterion for musical genius is you have to do it ALL yourself, and you have to do multiple generes then you can scarcely name people who are. Even the classical greats like Bach and Beethovan didnt do more than one genre did they? Are they not musical geniuses either?

Britney Spears and the like everyone knows their musical deficiencies. Everyone knows she can't sing, is completely manufactured and produced and propped up as a star. Does she sell records, yeah, does she have fans sure, is she respected as a performer and musician by her peers? You know as well as I do that the most "respect" she gets is her ability to generate money and interest

This doesn't make him a musical genius. I'm sure we're all aware of his influences and fame but again that doesn't equate to being a musical genius.

We have names like 'Britney Spears' ingrained in the pop psyche but I wouldn't consider her a musical genius. Would you?

The questions are - Could Michael Jackson create a whole album without the assistance of today's hottest producer/songwriter? Could MJ write, produce and compose a hit or memorable classic for other artists? Could MJ solely create his own sound or genre of music? Could MJ do genres of music outside of the typical Pop and R&B/Soul? To me that's what makes a musical genius.

it's not even truly sitting down making an album on his own to be honest...but I get what you're saying

Who could? Hell a dude playing on a streetcorner for quarters that writes his own music and makes a cd to sell out of the trunk of his Ford fiesta™ could be making the best music you ever heard. Except yea you havent heard it. If the criterion for musical genius is you have to do it ALL yourself, and you have to do multiple generes then you can scarcely name people who are. Even the classical greats like Bach and Beethovan didnt do more than one genre did they? Are they not musical geniuses either?

Britney Spears and the like everyone knows their musical deficiencies. Everyone knows she can't sing, is completely manufactured and produced and propped up as a star. Does she sell records, yeah, does she have fans sure, is she respected as a performer and musician by her peers? You know as well as I do that the most "respect" she gets is her ability to generate money and interest

as I said, it's not about making an album on your own or genre of music...but what makes him a musical genius?

:mellow:

What do you think 'musical genius' means? Also, Bach and Beethoven changed music so yes, they're geniuses. At that time many different genres of music haven't been discovered as there are many today. Yet MJ hasn't explored them like most artists have.

it's not even truly sitting down making an album on his own to be honest...but I get what you're saying

It kinda of is.... or let me rephrase what I said "Could MJ be locked in a basement with a Fisher Price keyboard and come up with a song everyone will be jamming to?" :lol:

Centipede :whistle:

to say name "another" would somewhat sound like I feel that MJ is a musical genius, I don't...but, yes, I can name a FEW artists who I consider to be genius who don't play instruments...but that's a whole other thread...this thread is strictly about what makes MJ a musical genius

Well I would like to see a couple of people on your list.. <_<

I think the only thing of what you listed Michael didn't do is create produce an album all on his own. Everything else you listed he did.

"Musical genius" is subjective, like anything else. However I feel Michael "the artist" is overlooked because of his extraordinary fame. That enormous celebrity, in my opinion, muddies the waters in terms of people seeing his true genius as an artist...

It'll be years from now when we're all old and gray that his music will truly be dissected examined by the world.

• Upvote 2

Well I guess it depends on one's personal definition of what a musical genius is, but he more than qualifies in my opinion. Just on his music alone, especially songs like "Will You Be There" and "Earth Song," they are filled with genius - the way he wanted to amend each little detail, and would not release an album until he felt it was perfect. I'll just agree to disagree though. B)

:mellow:

What do you think 'musical genius' means? Also, Bach and Beethoven changed music so yes, they're geniuses. At that time many different genres of music haven't been discovered as there are many today. Yet MJ hasn't explored them like most artists have.

Why didn't they make more genres then if they hadnt been discovered? You seem to be requiring MJ to be discovering some new form of music we havent yet heard of to be considered a genius and they arent held to that same standard for some reason? Did we not already discuss how MJ changed music and how it is recieved? You are crediting the classical greats as geniuses based specifically on their influence over music are you not? Isn't that exactly what I am crediting MJ with as well. His influence over music?

Or are we now adding a time limit before someone can be considered a genius? There is 0 evidence that his influence will not be felt for the forseeable future so all we can do on that account is hold him up to people who have still been doing it long after they stopped making new stuff or even died. like the beatles and Elvis etc. And in comparison he is right there with them.

I think the only thing of what you listed Michael didn't do is create produce an album all on his own. Everything else you listed he did.

"Musical genius" is subjective, like anything else. However I feel Michael "the artist" is overlooked because of his extraordinary fame. That enormous celebrity, in my opinion, muddies the waters in terms of people seeing his true genius as an artist...

It'll be years from now when we're all old and gray that his music will truly be dissected examined by the world.

which is why I said this is a no shade/no judgment zone...all opinions are welcomed, and hopefully will be respected...I say hopefully cuz you know how yo people can get lol

What sound/genre of music did he create? Better not say New Jack Swing...we all know that the Goddess, Jimmy and Terry created that :coffee:

MJ has not solely created a sound or genre of music nor has he created a memorable classic or hit for another artist :lol:

MJ "the artist" is never overlooked. MJ "The artist" is just as famous as MJ "The celebrity".