At this time we shall discuss the 10 best video artist of the new millennium...

King Baby

13 members have voted

1. 1. pick your favorite, and then list them before I start slapping people in the mouth.

• Eminem
    • Kanye
    • Beyonce
    • Britney
    • P!nk
    • Usher
    • Madonna
    • Missy
    • Gaga
    • Other

YAAAYYY!! ESSAY TIME!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

*pulls up a chair with some popcorn*

When I look at Janet's videos, or any videos, and determine what's the best, I factor in number of things:

1. The theme of the videos
  2. The concept of the video
  3. The aesthetic of the video
  4. Is the video a visual extension of the song?
  5. Does the choreography match the song?
  6. Does the set match the song?
  7. Does the wardrobe match the song?
  8. How do the colors operate?
  9. Symbolism in the video, in respect to the song?
  10. There's also the theme of the choreography
  11. The longevity of the video
  12. Are other artists today emulating the video
  13. The impact and influence the video has

You really have to consider a lot before you try to argue what is or what isn't the best.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I look at Janet's videos, or any videos, and determine what's the best, I factor in number of things:

1. The theme of the videos
  2. The concept of the video
  3. The aesthetic of the video
  4. Is the video a visual extension of the song?
  5. Does the choreography match the song?
  6. Does the set match the song?
  7. Does the wardrobe match the song?
  8. How do the colors operate?
  9. Symbolism in the video, in respect to the song?
  10. There's also the theme of the choreography
  11. The longevity of the video
  12. Are other artists today emulating the video
  13. The impact and influence the video has

You really have to consider a lot before you try to argue what is or what isn't the best.

ESSAY!!!! :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Btw, you make some great points ^_^

Austin, I could give you an indepth commentary on the nothing video, talking about how the harshness of janets wig reflects the sharpness of the film and the restrictive edgy clothing reflect the repressed anger in the first half of the film, and the dark colours reflect the negatives of relationships etc etc - but it doesn't matter, it's about art and entertainment, about visuals and concept, and if had all of that over TTWLG.

In fact TA and AFY and SOAG fit the songs just as well as TTWLG, but they are better and they are iconic and very Janet. TTWLG is good but anyone could have done it.

Well I would do nothing but cosign because "Nothing" is one of the highlights of Janet's videography. It's right up there with RN, and the fact that it didn't win Video of the Year is highly questionable.

TTWLG stands out because it was a different side of Janet that nobody was accustomed to seeing. From big dance numbers and covered from head to toe, to sheding all of that and inviting listeners into the REAL Janet. It's iconic in that it defines what it means to make a change in your visual aesthetic, along with coming in smooth and showing the vulnerability of the artist without the glitter and glam.

i see that you are starting to get into more and more alternative R&B/Hip Hop ^_^ ..that's GREAT. :wub:

Oh yes, it's a very refreshing sound. Stephon indirectly got me into Janelle last year (and Joi the year before), then I got into Gnarls Barkley after listening to Cee-Lo's last album. ^_^

You are about the only person who thinks that. When I hear people including celebs referencing janets work it's PP RN and IF :)

So what accounts for RN being listed on MTV AND VH1's 100 Greatest Videos, Rolling Stone's 10 Great Dancing Videos, winning a VMA for choreography, being listed on BBC's 50 Greatest Dance Crazes, and being imitated by the likes Cheryl Cole, Beyonce, Ciara, Keri Hilson, and a slew of others and "If" and PP not?

165orc.jpg

01. Kanye West

(See: 'Jesus Walks', 'The New Workout Plan', 'Touch The Sky', 'Love Lockdown', 'Runaway').

02. Missy Elliott

(See: 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Work It', 'Gossip Folks', 'Lose Control').

03. Lady Gaga

(See: 'Poker Face', 'Paparazzi', 'Bad Romance', 'Telephone', 'Judas').

04. Erykah Badu

(See: 'Bag Lady', 'Didn't Cha Know', 'Love Of My Life', 'Honey', 'Window Seat').

05. The White Stripes

(See: 'Fell In Love With a Girl', 'I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself', 'Seven Nation Army', 'The Hardest Button To Button', 'Blue Orchid').

06. OutKast

(See: 'Ms. Jackson', 'So Fresh, So Clean', 'Hey Ya!', 'Roses', 'Prototype').

07. Beyoncé

(See: 'Crazy In Love', 'Me, Myself And I', 'Get Me Bodied', 'Single Ladies', 'Run The World (Girls)').

08. Ludacris

(See: 'Southern Hospitality', 'Move Bitch', 'Saturday (Ooh Ooh!)', 'Stand Up', 'Splash Waterfalls').

09. P!nk

(See: 'There You Go', 'You Make Me Sick', 'Stupid Girls', 'U + Ur Hand', 'So What').

10. Eminem

(See: 'The Real Slim Shady', 'Stan', 'Way I Am', 'Without Me', 'Love The Way You Lie').

Honourable mentions to...

Gwen Stefani, Busta Rhymes, Katy Perry, and Rihanna.

Archived