"Lip Synching: A Necessary Evil?"

SonofBaldwin

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2011/08/lip-syncing-evil/

Lip Syncing: A Necessary Evil?

britney-spears-live-concert-dvd-onyx-hotel-tour-miami-ebeb4.jpg

Some swear against it. Some swear by it and there isn’t a Music Award Show that goes by without viewers bringing it up.

Lipsynching.

‘The technical term for matching lip movements with sung or spoken vocals.’

Ever a hot topic on the lips of many a music enthusiast, we here at That Grape Juice HQ want to know….

Is Lip Synching a necessary evil?…

Read more below…

To many performers, lip syncing serves as a crutch which takes one less worry from the stress of a live stage show.

Often used by performers who deliver high powered dance numbers, the art of singing to pre-recorded vocals has been embraced by artists of all genres but none more so than in Pop music.

Regarded by many as being a lazy way out for less vocally gifted performers, many of the world’s greatest acts have built their entire careers around the tool.

Take Janet Jackson, the undeniably talented and gifted power house entertainer who stills wows crowds today with her intense dance numbers and seemingly faultless performance style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7A1ryZ6i7A&feature=player_embedded

To the untrained ear, many of Ms. Jackson’s performances throughout her career feature flawlessly delivered live vocals.

However, many of her own fans would recognise that like many entertainers, these vocals were not sung live at all.

Instead, they were re-recorded versions of her songs specifically designed for her sell out stage shows.

So carefully produced to give the impression that the singing was live, room was even made throughout many of the songs for her to both laugh and even deliver the classic ‘How You Guys Doing?’ line, all to give her fans the impression they were witnessing a completely live showing.

Of course, not all performers have gone to the depths that Janet, Madonna and the like went to to appease their fans need for all round showmanship.

In the past Britney Spears has come under fire for her poorly delivered habitual lip syncing, which saw her simply mime the album version of her songs on stage, making no attempt to pull the wool over her supporters eyes- or ears to be precise.

Facing so much criticism for it, that she has now adopted the ‘pre-recorded live vocal’ style for her some dates on her ‘Femme Fatale’ which like Madonna and Janet before her sees her sing along to reworked versions of her music, which her fans seem to have taken well to.

Ever curious to know what’s on your mind, we want to know.

Do you think Lip syncing is a necessary evil?

For with Michael Jackson himself occasionally substituting his live voice for a recorded variation of it, many critics remain up in the air when it comes to this ever present musical issue.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say for the entertainers who can actually do solid dance numbers, especially for a full-show, should be able to use it. Even more when they switch from a hard dance bit to a slower mid-tempo or ballad, they have that freedom. You don't want to hear them out of breathing and panting in the mic. You know they can sing. I'll use Janet as an example. After her dance breaks, if she switches to a ballad or a mid-tempo, I'd rather her use the lip syncing. Like what would have been good for her recent TTWLG taping. We know she can sing live, she just needed a break after the dance number. Now for others like Rihanna, Gaga, and others who CANNOT dance or really give a solid performance, I won't pardon them at all for lip syncing. They should not perform at all if that's the case. Stick to recording only, and be done with it.

Funny how nobody calls out the performers of the 50s and 60s who lipped. Hell some of them had the nerve to not even have mics on the stage. :wacko:

Remember when mics were optional? Shit. In the 70s and 80s, Aretha, Patti, Natalie, Stevie, all of them used to get right up on stage, without a mic, and lip synch to their songs. No one batted an eyelash.

I think Milli Vinilli and the accusations against Paul Abdul not really singing even on her own album, changed the perception, though.

In any event, people need to stop acting like lip synching was invented in 2005.

Remember when mics were optional? Shit. In the 70s and 80s, Aretha, Patti, Natalie, Stevie, all of them used to get right up on stage, without a mic, and lip synch to their songs. No one batted an eyelash.

I think Milli Vinilli and the accusations against Paul Abdul not really singing even on her own album, changed the perception, though.

In any event, people need to stop acting like lip synching was invented in 2005.

-_- It was because we KNEW they could all sing. Similarly, if someone like Whitney lipped it's okay, for the reasons stated.

People need to stop acting like they're getting a fully like show from ANY artist. No matter how could you are, no singer or vocalist can sing a 2 hour show 100% live.

except Beyonce whistle.gifwhistle.gifwhistle.gifwhistle.gif

Seriously, I find it hard to work out when she lipping, if she lipping @ all

I'm sure Beyonce was lipping during RTW at the start of the 2nd verse at the BBA and it wouldn't bother me because she did that fucking heavy tribal dancing beforehand.

I need receipts

Pissy MTV performance doesnt count (and i didnt even check)

i wanna know in tour

when does she lips!

I THINK Yes was lipped in her first tour. It's been years since I saw it but I remember thinking it was lipped.

:umm: @ the receipt pressers

So I can use it against the Bey stains when they come for you -_-

Archived