Sass vixen Katy Perry announces 6th single...In an effort to dethrone Michael Jackson as the King of pop!

King Baby

Katy Perry's Sixth 'Teenage Dream' Single Will Be...

by Gary Trust, N.Y. | September 14, 2011 11:32 EDT

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Such is the thinking, as voiced by EMI Music/Capitol Records EVP/marketing and promotion Greg Thompson, behind the label's decision to release a sixth pop radio single from Katy Perry's album, "Teenage Dream."

The set's "The One That Got Away" goes for airplay next month.

And, what could be gained is a first in the Billboard Hot 100's 53-year history.

The first five singles from the album - "California Gurls," featuring Snoop Dogg; the title cut; "Firework"; "E.T.," featuring Kanye West; and, "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" - all reached the Hot 100's summit, making Perry the first woman to notch five No. 1s on the chart from one album.

Michael Jackson is the only other artist to have accomplished the feat, having scored five leaders from "Bad" in 1987-88. (The sixth single from "Bad," "Another Part of Me," peaked at No. 11. Seventh and final single "Smooth Criminal" reached No. 7).

Exclusive: Katy Perry Responds to Making Hot 100 History

Thus, should "One" follow the first five singles from "Dream" to the top, Perry would become the first artist to crack open a six-pack of Hot 100 No. 1s from one album.

Capitol confirmed the single choice to Billboard at last night's (Sept. 13) performance by Perry's labelmate Lady Antebellum at New York City's Irving Plaza. The country trio celebrated the release of its third studio album, "Own the Night," by introducing songs from the set (including its "favorite," according to the band's Hillary Scott, ballad "Cold as Stone") and sampling its previous hits, a set that closed with its 2009 five-week Country Songs No. 1, and pop and adult crossover smash, "Need You Now."

The label stressed that it is not specifically releasing "One" with the hopes of rewriting Hot 100 history. Rather, the decision factors in Perry's fondness for the song, its ear-catching hook and her obvious track record of success at pop radio.

"If it goes to No. 1, that would be great," said Thompson. "If not, we still have a Katy song on the radio in fourth quarter," potentially fueling further sales for "Dream" in the busiest of shopping seasons.

MTV VMAs 2011: Katy Perry, Adele & Pregnant Beyonce Steal the Show

Even if "One" is not a Hot 100 No. 1, Perry still offers her fans the gift of a Yuletide-timed release. If it does reach the apex, Perry herself opens the gift of unprecedented Hot 100 history.

Adding to the song's chart-topping potential: a "touch-up," i.e., a Dr. Luke-produced radio edit of the album version, according to Thompson, and a video. The label is currently "reading treatments" for the proposed clip. (Perry penned the song with Dr. Luke (Lukasz Gottwald) and Max Martin).

Perry's "California Dreams Tour," which kicked off in February, continues with U.S., South American and European dates through Dec. 1. Of the 40 concerts reported to Billboard Boxscore, the tour has grossed $22 million and played to 408,000 fans.

Katy Perry Poll: What's Your Favorite 'Teenage Dream' Single?

On its path to equaling the King of Pop's Hot 100 milestone, "Dream" has sold 1.8 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The set opened at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 the week of Sept. 11, 2010, and has remained in the chart's top 40 for all 55 of its chart weeks.

While "One" is the sixth pop single from "Dream," another track from the album has topped a Billboard tally. "Peacock" joined the set's five Hot 100 leaders as No. 1s on Billboard's Dance/Club Play Songs chart.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I told you :lmao: That is the last thing to be hooked on. I haven't had it in a good 4 years :lol:

I accidently bought the pre-sweetened version and OMG! I thought I put too much sugar in with the normal one but with this one...Jesus!

I know :lol:. I haven't drunk it for a few days. It's just sitting in my fridge collecting bacteria.

Alright good :lol: Well...toss that one and sell the rest :thumbup:

Katy Perry is gonna dig him up, open that golden coffin and snatch that wig. :filenails:

She's going on her 10th minute of fame. She'll drop from the industry before the decade is out. Mark my words. Michael's wig and crown are embedded and no industry-made barbie doll will EVER outrank him. :coffee:

Hasn't she pretty much so the bulk of what she's gonna sell? Why are they still releasing singles?

Is her label that desperate to have her break a record?

Even though her album has sold well, it could always do better. Plus, breaking MJ's record will give her prestige, and probably sell another couple of hundred thousands. A label's gonna make money where they can. Its a trip, because albums use to have long shelf lives all the time in the 80s and 90s. It was very common to promote the same album for 18 to 24 months. Its uncommon now, which is why you got folks releasing back to back flops in a matter of months.

Even though her album has sold well, it could always do better. Plus, breaking MJ's record will give her prestige, and probably sell another couple of hundred thousands. A label's gonna make money where they can. Its a trip, because albums use to have long shelf lives all the time in the 80s and 90s. It was very common to promote the same album for 18 to 24 months. Its uncommon now, which is why you got folks releasing back to back flops in a matter of months.

The sales are FAIR but underwhelming considering she has 5 #1s. Thats why it seems she needs to close up shop and move on. It would be different if the album REALLY was a massive seller but she's pretty much drained the fuck out of this era. I highly dought the release of (whats hopefully) her last single will make much of a difference.Her label seems to wanna break this Michael record just to make her seem BIGGER than she actually is and gain her more "status" like you said. But I guess.

Alright good :lol: Well...toss that one and sell the rest :thumbup:

She's going on her 10th minute of fame. She'll drop from the industry before the decade is out. Mark my words. Michael's wig and crown are embedded and no industry-made barbie doll will EVER outrank him. :coffee:

we know MJ's crown is embedded.. but that was 20 years ago :umm:

MJ wackos are starting to sound like Elvis fans :sigh:

Eh, I feel like big pop stars have the same frequency of album releases and promotional tours as they did in the '90s. Remember how Prince and Whitney and Mariah were always putting out albums for awhile? And in the '80s even Madonna put out four albums in six years. (Several more if you count soundtracks!)

Beyoncé's I Am era was sort of like this, where it was all drawn out, and you could say that Gaga's Fame/Fame Monster was just one big 2008-2010 album era. Even Britney, for all her recent lack of promotion, has been taking decent breaks between albums since 2003. The only notable female shoving out albums at breakneck speed is Rihanna.

Archived