Sass vixen Katy Perry announces 6th single...In an effort to dethrone Michael Jackson as the King of pop!

King Baby

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But that was pre-Nielsen. It was a rarity to for a song to have a long run at no. 1. 4 weeks was considered very long back then.

It was a rarity for 1987-88, sure. But if you look back at the Thriller era he fared much better. Something like seven weeks for 'Billie Jean'. Others around the '84 period also spent longer than a month at number one so it wasn't really uncommon. The one thing I would say gave Katy an advantage was adding artists onto her tracks after the album was released. Kanye West especially.

It was a rarity for 1987-88, sure. But if you look back at the Thriller era he fared much better. Something like seven weeks for 'Billie Jean'. Others around the '84 period also spent longer than a month at number one so it wasn't really uncommon. The one thing I would say gave Katy an advantage was adding artists onto her tracks after the album was released. Kanye West especially.

I think the methodology changed in 1985 cuz from 1986-1989, there were like 30 #1s in a year. You're right, song had longer stays at #1 but it still was nothing like Nielsen when songs were number 1 for 13/14/15 weeks. Why do you think Beyonce has more weeks at number one than Janet?

I think the methodology changed in 1985 cuz from 1986-1989, there were like 30 #1s in a year. You're right, song had longer stays at #1 but it still was nothing like Nielsen when songs were number 1 for 13/14/15 weeks. Why do you think Beyonce has more weeks at number one than Janet?

Maybe it did, but there were years prior to 1985 with around 30 #1s too. It's still remarkable for any artist to achieve that kind of longevity out of so many #1 singles - especially in 2010/11. Look how many artist these days debut sky-high and then tumble out of the Top 5 in a week or two. And I actually didn't know that Beyonce had more weeks at number one than Janet. :lol:

Game :lmao: I know you don't like Michael, and I know you have your own opinion which deserves to be respected...but come on now, this bitch is nothing compared to Mike :lol:

You call his songs "overrated blabble" -- what would you call songs like 'California Gurls' and 'Firework' ???

IMO, the only songs of Katy's that I feel were legitimate #1 singles were "E.T." ( which is incredible :w00t: ) and "Teenage Dream" ( which I'm not even a big fan of, but can't deny it's appeal )

...having said all of that, neither of those songs compare to any of the #1 hits off of the "Thriller" album. Do you honestly feel like her singles are on the same level?

they're today's hit songs... i'm not comparing MJ to Katy Perry because it's time to move on.. MJ did what he was destined to do.. and these MJ wackos sound like Elvis fans... get over it.. stop comparing MJ from 20 years ago to the new people.. and give them a chance to make a name for themselves...

they're today's hit songs... i'm not comparing MJ to Katy Perry because it's time to move on.. MJ did what he was destined to do.. and these MJ wackos sound like Elvis fans... get over it.. stop comparing MJ from 20 years ago to the new people.. and give them a chance to make a name for themselves...

I agree.

Do you visit Mariah's forum like you do here?

No but I stan for her on Twitter :lol:.

Janet's the only artist I go on a forum for now. Aaliyah's closed down. I left Michaels as his fans went more crazy after he died. And Destiny's Child - well I just couldn't stand the Bey Stains.

Archived