Whitney Vrs Janet Who Has Had A Greater Impact..More Successful Or More Respected

Idrag4mj

I haven't been in the Janet nation for as long as most you folks here have..so you have more knowledge on certain issues..

So I Post on Whitney boards and they started a Topic http://classicwhitney.yuku.com/topic/7991/Who-has-made-the-greater-impact-Mariah-or-Janet

And people were going back and forth...so i simply said..'IF You won't even compare the impact of mariah and whitney ..then why would you with Mariah And Janet when Janet has had a greater Impact than whitney '

Oh then all hell broke loose here are some of the posts

MillDollaDivo wrote:

Whitney is the most influential female artist of the last 30 years so its impossible for Janet to have a bigger impact.

Awards: Whitney>>Janet

Number Ones: Whitney>>Janet

Sales: Whitney>>Janet

Box-Office: Whitney>>Janet

Michael had to die for the world to even start paying attention to Janet again. Madonna out-staged Janet doing her brother's tribute and Whitney totally made the world forget Janet's little comeback at the AMA 2009....

Janet has always and will take the back seat to Whitney and thats a fact you will have to deal with....

so i responded

Funny but people will always put Madonna >>>>> whitney

But since you are comparing success ..Hits Janet>>>Whitney

Number One albums Janet>>>whitney

Most Successful TOurs Janet>>>Whitney

And how the hell did madonna upstage Janet at her brothers funeral??that doesn't even make sense....be logically at least

Success is relative ..and debatable....

True singers of today will alway be influenced by whitney..her songs are always covered on these reality shows..

But when you talk about the blue print that most of todays artist starts use...from Videos to live performances...its Janet all they way.

then i get hit with this

No not really. It's actually quite clear. Whitney Houston is 56X Platinum in the United States of America according to the Recording Industry Association of America, and Janet, well she's sold only of half that (with 10 albums to Whitneys . What record executives care about MORE than number one's, are record SALES, and as it stands Janet can barely move 500,000 units (Whitney's poorly produced holiday album has sold that).

...and when did Whitney have an "un-successful" tour??? All of her tours have made millions of dollars. Unlike Janet, Whitney has never had to cancel a tour do to poor ticket sales, which is humiliating. Whitney is so superlative that even through extreme drug use her label never even considered dropping her. Unfortunately, the same can not be said for Miss Jackson if ya nasty! Whitney has only been on ONE record label, and has been with BMG for nearly 30 years!

Whitney has influenced and inspires artist who go on to have long careers. Janet influences artist who are here today and not here tomorrow. Out of all the artist someone named as being heavily influenced by Janet, how many are around? JLo and......yep, just J-Lo pretty much. Ciara couldn't sell a hit to a junkie, and Britney is/was more influence by Whitney and Madonna above Janet. ....I'll stop here.

I get this

Touring you cant say since Whitney's touring numbers have never been released and Whitney have more number ones and platinum singles are better than just having charted singles like Janet has so you failed on that one....

Whitney slays Janet... The world knows .... Janet knows it.... Michael knew it... Tito knows it... Latoya knows it... Joe knows it... Randy knows it... Jermaine knows it... Jackie knows it.... Marlon knows it.. Rebbie knows it.. Kathrine knows it.... Even Blanket knows it...

Everyone from Celine to Lil Wayne to Ciara to Britney to Beyonce to Leona to Jessie J to BOA has said Whitney influenced them. It goes passed just vocalists so try again...

And everybody knows Madonna upstaged Janet on the VMAs so dont act brand-new. Madonna was what people were talking about the next day not Janet.... Well Kanye also upstaged Janet that night too...

and this

Yeah but you forget Whitney sales by far surpass Janet. So what Janer has more Number 1 albums since she released more albums she should but then Whitney has more number 1 singles sold more too hell Whitney's last three cds outsold Janet's so what do you have next. Your beating a dead horse. Touring how has Janet's tours surpassed Whitney's the only badthing tour Whitney did was NBLT which she did make 34 million dollars. Janet's Rock Withu Tour was canceled hell at least Whitney has the excuse of past problems and she went on. Please again NEXT.....

source http://classicwhitney.yuku.com/topic/7991/Who-has-made-the-greater-impact-Mariah-or-Janet?page=12#.Tn-nteuate4

In short i want to know your opinions ..i am clearly alone on that board

Who Has Had A Greater Impact..More Successful Or More Respected..be unbiased

Whitney is the most influential female artist of the last 30 years so its impossible for Janet to have a bigger impact.

Whitney stans must be on that Whitney if they think her impact outweighs Janet's. The fact that Whitney has employed things Janet has done into her career is proof of who has had the bigger impact.

Awards: Whitney>>Janet

Spare me. Talk to me when Whitney has the top honor from every major award show in the US.

Number Ones: Whitney>>Janet

Ch....don't nobody know any of Whitney's #1s outside of "I Will Always Love You".

Sales: Whitney>>Janet

No brainer there.

Box-Office: Whitney>>Janet

90% of Whitney's box office gross comes from one film. Her subsequent films, even if you combine them, and double their gross, they still don't come close to The Bodyguard. Which ultimately means she was only good for one film. And the success of the movie had to do more with Kevin Costner, as he was arguably at the peak of his career. In due time, Janet will have out grossed Whitney at the box office.

Michael had to die for the world to even start paying attention to Janet again.

They were already paying attention to Janet before he died.

Madonna out-staged Janet doing her brother's tribute

Right, and that's why MTV used clips of Janet's performance for the 2010 VMA promo.

and Whitney totally made the world forget Janet's little comeback at the AMA 2009....

The same show where the critics trashed Whitney's voice yet praised Janet's performance?

Janet has always and will take the back seat to Whitney and thats a fact you will have to deal with....

Is that why Janet has been more relevant than Whitney since 1993?

• Upvote 6

No not really. It's actually quite clear. Whitney Houston is 56X Platinum in the United States of America according to the Recording Industry Association of America, and Janet, well she's sold only of half that (with 10 albums to Whitneys . What record executives care about MORE than number one's, are record SALES, and as it stands Janet can barely move 500,000 units (Whitney's poorly produced holiday album has sold that).

Ain't nobody here for Whitney and her over shipped albums. Why is The Bodyguard 17x platinum with only 11 million scanned and 1.3 million at BMG. Is the other 5 million copies collecting dust on the shelves? Don't make me clock Whitney's tea and Clive's need to make Whitney seem bigger than she was sales wise. And her RIAA total is 55 million. Debut - 13x platinum, follow up 9x platinum, TBG - 17x platinum. That means the bulk of her success comes from 3 albums. And the first and latter is more than half her RIAA total. That tells me she was really only popular with 3 albums. She went from 13x platinum in 1986, to 4x platinum in 1999. That's more than half her fans. Whereas Janet went from 5x platinum in 1986 to 3x platinum in 20001. Janet has obviously been more consistent than Whitney. And PLEASE @ Whitney's Christmas album to Janet's last album. 2003 album versus a 2008 album? Discipline, 20YO, and DJ out-scanned THAT album ANYWAY. Just like DJ out-scanned Just Whitney.

...and when did Whitney have an "un-successful" tour??? All of her tours have made millions of dollars.

I thought her stans said her box score numbers weren't release? Making shit up much?

Unlike Janet, Whitney has never had to cancel a tour do to poor ticket sales, which is humiliating.

Janet never canceled a tour. What's more humiliating is people WALKING OUT of your tour and saying you couldn't entertain a dead rat. And the KII Janet LIPS and gets rave reviews. Whitney sings LIVE and the critics play badminton with her 1997 synthetic wig.

Whitney is so superlative that even through extreme drug use her label never even considered dropping her. Unfortunately, the same can not be said for Miss Jackson if ya nasty! Whitney has only been on ONE record label, and has been with BMG for nearly 30 years!

And neither has Janet. She was with A&M, but they lost Janet to Virgin. And even after the sales of DJ and 20, Virgin didn't consider dropping her. In fact, they actually stopped promoting 20YO because she wouldn't resign with them. And the ONLY reason why Whitney is still signed is because Clive and his Alzheimer's still thinks this is 1986 and Whitney "still has it". KIII @ them saying Whitney won't put out another album until her voice is back in shape. Looks like the end of the road for the Whitney stans.

Whitney has influenced and inspires artist who go on to have long careers. Janet influences artist who are here today and not here tomorrow. Out of all the artist someone named as being heavily influenced by Janet, how many are around? JLo and......yep, just J-Lo pretty much. Ciara couldn't sell a hit to a junkie, and Britney is/was more influence by Whitney and Madonna above Janet. ....I'll stop here.

Chile please. Talk to me when today's artists praise Whitney for anything other than her voice. She has influenced SINGERS. Janet has singers, dancers, performers, actors, actresses, TV hosts, entertainers, comedians, rappers, entrepreneurs, choreographers, and politicians looking up to her. Ain't nobody checking for Whitney. Check the "Praise" thread. Every month this year a different celebrity has praised Janet for something. When's Whitney doing it? Out of all of the 80s and 90s acts, Whitney is the LEAST relevant. I hate to say it, but she is truly the definition of a has-been. Her only selling point has-been her voice. That voice has-been gone since 1999. Whitney has-been letting a man destroy her only talent and career. Whitney has-been cited as a bad parent, Bobbi Christina's fat ass pictured snorting coke. Like mother, like daughter. Whitney has-been getting dragged by ALL her peers since the mid-90s.

And all you have to do is check the Pop Culture thread to get an idea of Janet's impact.

normal_Mickey_Mouse_Rhythm_Nation.jpg

Next_Generation_Magazine.jpg

normal_Patti_Davis_For_Playboy.jpg

When is Whitney going to do it?

When is Whitney's image going to be immortalized as a doll?

Where is Whitney's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?

Why has she only been on the cover of Rolling Stone once?

When is Whitney going to be in Vogue?

Where's her Blackglama campaign?

When are people going to be paying homage to her iconic dance routines?

When are people going to be imitating Whitney's iconic magazine covers?

When are the critics going to compare today's artists' tours to Whitney's like they do Janet?

When is she going to set a trend in stage shows (the lap dance)?

When are the critics going to put Whitney and her work in the ranks of Madonna, MJ, and Prince, and liken her work to the likes or Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder?

[Janet] See, you over there dancing, and I'm over here needing questions answered. [/Janet]

Why did Janet out-rank her on the Billboard Anniversary chart? And her stans can miss me with the "more singles" foolery because the bulk of Whitney's success comes from 7 albums, whereas for Janet it comes from 6. And KIII @ The Bodyguard being nearly 50% of her total album sales. KII2 @ Soundscan not even including that in her tally.

KII3 @ them having to bring up Madonna. Please. Don't make me bring up how Mariah has been getting her together since the 90s. All of Whitney's peers have been playing tether ball with that wig for quite some time now.

Janet being the first to do a full dance routine in the video and EVERYONE following >>>>>>> Whitney's impact

Janet being the first to do intricate dance routines at an award show >>>>>> Whitney's impact

Janet innovating the template on how to sell sex in the industry >>>>>> Whitney's impact

Janet being the pioneer of blending pop with New Jack Swing >>>>>> Whitney's impact

Janet's 1993 Rolling Stone cover >>>>>> Whitney's impact

People still mimicking military routines because of "Rhythm Nation" >>>>>>> Whitney's impact

Janet being an immortal goddess who transcends time and space >>>>>> human existence

And that's the way MY love goes.

• Upvote 6

Just copy and paste what Austin wrote along with reminding them that that Whitney and her label were influenced by Janet to have Whitney dance so she can look "versatile". Whitney tried her hardest to work the headset mic and even though she did have a lil bounce in her routine, she wasn't taken serious as an act that could dance. And the ones they claim constantly bring up Whitney as their influence (mainly Britney and BoA) are in fact Janet stans. BoA has been talking about Janet being her main influence before she came to the States with "Eat You Up". Not to mention right now folks mainly laugh at Whitney whereas where they praise Janet.

Success, yeah Whitney has more number ones singles and sold more albums, but didn't a couple of years ago Billboard called out both Whitney and Mariah for overshipping their albums?

Im not creating a account just to say this so if you agree with my response of this, feel free to copy & paste.

Regarding the statement

"Janet was brought out of her contract like Mariah frankly that's not much different than being dropped other than both got paid to leave their labels"

Um can you provide proof of Janet ever being brought out of her contract, lets see some receipts for that one, because as it was reported from both Janets camp and the labels, SHE left them. If your gonna try to talk shit about Janet, you probably might want to make sure its true, because its never even been a rumor that she was dropped from any label.

Why do people even try to come for Janet, I mean seriously? Whitney, love her (from 85-97) but HELL NO. People have wanted to have voices like Whitney, and careers & reputations like Janet, never Whit.

• Upvote 1

Im not creating a account just to say this so if you agree with my response of this, feel free to copy & paste.

Regarding the statement

"Janet was brought out of her contract like Mariah frankly that's not much different than being dropped other than both got paid to leave their labels"

Um can you provide proof of Janet ever being brought out of her contract, lets see some receipts for that one, because as it was reported from both Janets camp and the labels, SHE left them. If your gonna try to talk shit about Janet, you probably might want to make sure its true, because its never even been a rumor that she was dropped from any label.

Why do people even try to come for Janet, I mean seriously? Whitney, love her (from 85-97) but HELL NO. People have wanted to have voices like Whitney, and careers & reputations like Janet, never Whit.

+1 for you, too :thumbup:

People always wanna compare their fave divas to the goddess. It's a natural occurrence. They just wanna feel special and important. But we all know at the end of the day they have Janet's albums on full blast playing through their stereos and have her videos playing on their TV screens trying to emulate the moves. :coffee:

Remember: "We need to remember

That love lies deep in ourself

We have to want it so

It starts with us and no one else

We must learn

We're all born with specialness inside of us

'Cause I have the need

To feel real special too"

The poor dears. I can tell this is exactly how they feel :cry: I'm gonna buy each of them a copy of TVR just so they can allow Janhova to enter their lives and actually give it some meaning and relevance :coffee:

Yeah but you forget Whitney sales by far surpass Janet.

Ain't nobody forgot that.

So what Janer has more Number 1 albums since she released more albums she should but then Whitney has more number 1 singles sold more too hell Whitney's last three cds outsold Janet's so what do you have next. Your beating a dead horse.

That ain't got SHIT to do with SHIT. Whitney has had 7 studio albums, and two soundtracks. If she has had more impact than Janet, why couldn't she notch 6 #1 albums? Was it because someone always got her together the week she released? And KII @ Whitney having more #1 singles, yet still ranked BELOW Janet on the Billboard anniversary chart. A second KII @ Janet having more cumulative weeks at #1 than Whitney with LESS #1 singles. A third KII @ 7 out of 10 of Janet's #1s have broken/set a record, whereas Whitney only has TWO.

Touring how has Janet's tours surpassed Whitney's the only badthing tour Whitney did was NBLT which she did make 34 million dollars. Janet's Rock Withu Tour was canceled hell at least Whitney has the excuse of past problems and she went on. Please again NEXT.....

KII @ $34 million tour when Janet's last tour grossed a third of that with like 10 reported dates. :lmao: And if Janet canceled her last tour, what the hell is this?

normal_Rock_Witchu_Tour_(205).jpg

Lest we not confused canceled dates with canceled tour. And at least Janet was relevant enough to go on tour in the 00s. Don't nobody wanna listen to Whitney and her cotton mouth voice on tour.

• Upvote 1

Thats when I realized that Janet was my #1, when I realized I'll stand up for her more than ANYONE else. I love Mariah, Whitney, Rihanna, and I used to like Beyonce & Britney (Britney's aight wit me I guess sometimes, not Bey tho) but I'll throw EVERY name above under the bus if anyone trashes Janet for any 1 of them. Same goes for most male entertainers too. You like any of them names more than Janet, good for you, but you WILL not diss Janet in front of my eyes :filenails::coffee:

Just copy and paste what Austin wrote along with reminding them that that Whitney and her label were influenced by Janet to have Whitney dance so she can look "versatile". Whitney tried her hardest to work the headset mic and even though she did have a lil bounce in her routine, she wasn't taken serious as an act that could dance. And the ones they claim constantly bring up Whitney as their influence (mainly Britney and BoA) are in fact Janet stans. BoA has been talking about Janet being her main influence before she came to the States with "Eat You Up". Not to mention right now folks mainly laugh at Whitney whereas where they praise Janet.

Success, yeah Whitney has more number ones singles and sold more albums, but didn't a couple of years ago Billboard called out both Whitney and Mariah for overshipping their albums?

THAT'S the real shade, and how they ultimately lose.

And :lmao: @ Whitney being more respected than Janet. Ummmm, Janet has NEVER been booed at ANY awards show. Can we say the same for Whitney? Right now, Whitney is nothing but the brunt of drug jokes, as is the current state of her voice. The only thing people can get on Janet about are the sales of her last three albums. Her videos are STILL damn good. Her performances are STILL damn good, hence why she STILL gets booked to perform. Her dancing is STILL damn good (despite us hating it). The only thing that really lacks are her albums, which will change with her next release. When's the last time Whitney gave a memorable performance? Star Spangled Banner in 1991?

Additionally, In Living Color used "Rhythm Nation" to shade Whitney. That ain't respect.

And when is Whitney going to walk across the stage, NO INTRODUCTION, and command a standing ovation from those who came before her, her peers, and those who came after her?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdpf2y_janet-jackson-bet-awards-2006_music

Lastly, Janet is more successful than Whitney.

Janet Jackson is one of the top ten selling artists in the history of contemporary music; ranked by Billboard magazine as the ninth most successful act in rock and roll history, and the second most successful female artist in pop music history, selling over 100 million albums worldwide.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20080310005488/en/UOMO-Producer-Helps-Propel-Janet-Jackson-1

Janet has sold about 140 million records globally. Her tours have grossed nearly a billion dollars in revenue when adjusted for inflation. Her films have grossed nearly half a billion at the box office when you adjust for inflation. The DVDs sales from her last three films have grossed nearly $70 million. She is STILL getting checks every time TVLand or TvOne airs an episode of Good Times she starred in. That doesn't include the checks she still gets from Fame AND Diff'rent Strokes. She's also managed to acquire 2 contracts totaling $120 million during the 90s. All that doesn't even include the bank she owns, along with her own brand of Vodka that she owns with JD, and a lingerie line in the works. And that's just stuff we KNOW about. Janet has kept her business affairs private, so there's no telling what other ventures we don't know about. And don't even get me started on the checks she gets from the multitude of artists who are sampling her songs. She has seen success in music, movies, television, tours, and business ventures.

Artists and labels are studying Janet's albums, her songs, her videos, her performances, her choreography, her staging, and her career as a whole on how to build their artists. Who the hell is studying Whitney for anything other than her voice? And Janet has a song the R&R Hall of Fame believes has shaped music. NONE of Whitney's songs made the list.

When are people going to sample any of Whitney's music?

http://www.janetxone.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=media&action=display&thread=73961

When are people going to mention Whitney in their songs?

http://www.janetxone.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=65770

I luv Auntie Nippy.....but DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN, Nasty-Groove, with the read.

I CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN"TTTTTTTTTTT

23jke2o.gif23jke2o.gif23jke2o.gif

23jke2o.gif23jke2o.gif23jke2o.gif

Why does MY scalp hurt??

k3sso.jpgk3sso.jpgk3sso.jpg

:lol:

It's all in day's work. :filenails: I really hate how people try to act like Janet ain't done shit. Bitch been a star since 1973, longer than ALL of her peers minus Michael. :coffee:

....................OK Nasty Groove, I know we done had our issues on another subject a while back, but Im lovin you right now lol.

mtv_ICON_Janet_Jackson_March_10_2001_(10).jpg