Superstars pay tribute to Janet Jackson

SloLove

http://arabnews.com/lifestyle/offbeat/article509729.ece

By ARAB NEWS, LIFE.STYLE@ARABNEWS.COM

Published: Oct 1, 2011 21:39 Updated: Oct 1, 2011 21:39

Five-time Grammy Award winning singer/songwriter Janet Jackson has been credited for inspiring a new generation of superstars, from Usher, Beyoncé, Rihanna and Jennifer Lopez to Lady Gaga and many more. We take a look at what these stars have said about the Rhythm Nation singer and how she inspired their careers.

Jennifer Lopez owes her big break in the industry to Janet Jackson. As one of her backup dancers, Lopez was cast in Janet Jackson’s 1993 video “That’s the Way Love Goes.” She says Jackson had a profound impact on her, both as a fan and as an artist. Jennifer Lopez has gone on to become one of the highest earning Latin American stars in the world.

R’n’B superstar Usher, one of the top best-selling artists in American music history, was one of the opening acts during Janet Jackson’s “The Velvet Rope World Tour” (1998-1999). He credits her for teaching him how to develop a stage show into a full-scale theatrical performance. "I learned a lot about how to make an artist look like a star. On the personal side, I got a chance to hug her,” said Usher.

Since the “Velvet Rope” tour, Usher has gone on to become one of the industry’s most popular performers selling out tours worldwide.

In a recent interview, Rihanna said Janet Jackson was one of the first female pop icons that she could relate to. “She was so vibrant; she had so much energy. She still has power. I’ve seen her on stage, and she can stand there for 20 minutes and have the whole arena scream at her. You have to love Janet,” said Rihanna.

As one of the hottest artist in the 1990s, “Breathe Again” singer Toni Braxton said: “Janet Jackson inspired me because when she released her “Control” album, she made it easy for P.K.'s [Preachers' kids] who were supposed to be sweet and docile to get comfortable with feeling sexy."

American recording artist Cassie admits she is a “die-hard” Janet Jackson fan. She once said: "I'd love to emulate Janet's career totally ... She's incredible, from her moves to her voice.”

Grammy Award winning singer/songwriter Christina Augilera said: "I remember watching MTV as a little girl. To me, Janet had it all: amazing videos, hot songs and the sexiest voice."

While there are still so many superstars, such as Brandy, Kerrie Hilson, Kelly Rowland, Ciara and TLC, Sociologist Shayne Lee says: "As Janet enters the twilight of her reign as erotic Queen of Pop, Beyoncé Knowles emerges as her likely successor."

So, who then inspired Janet Jackson? Her older brothers Michael and Jermaine have been credited as her primary musical influences. In addition, she describes the late actress/singer Lena Horne as a profound inspiration, not only in her own career, but also for black entertainers across multiple generations.

In total, Janet Jackson recorded 10 studio albums, selling in excess of 100 million records worldwide, giving her 35 number one hits.

Earlier this year, Janet Jackson embarked on her sixth world tour “JANET JACKSON Number Ones: Up Close and Personal,” which has been described as her largest world tour, playing in 35 cities around the world and dedicating a different number one hit in each city.

She said: “This tour will be different from the tours I've done in the past... in the way that I perform music exclusively from my 35 number one hits in 35 cities. These concerts will be different from anything I have ever done. I will be as up close and personal as possible. These concerts are not about special effects. This is a love affair between me and those of you who have supported me and my work for all these years. I’ll be singing and dancing from my heart. The music will all be songs that you’ve made number ones for me. Let’s go!”

Janet to perform in Abu Dhabi for the first time

Abu Dhabi will, for the first time, get up close and personal with pop icon Janet Jackson. FLASH Entertainment is bringing her to the YAS Arena, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi on October 13 to kick off another unbelievable season of Yas Island Show Weekends. Ticket prices are: AED 265 for General Admission, AED 365 for Grandstand and AED 665 for Fan Pit.

The inaugural season of the Yas Island Show Weekends saw a month-long entertainment extravaganza that kicked off with The Jonas Brothers, Nelly Furtado, Guns N’ Roses, Creamfields Abu Dhabi 2010 and NBA Jamfest Abu Dhabi. The first quarter of 2011 capped-off an unforgettable season of Yas Island Show Weekends that hosted Eric Clapton, Tiësto, Thirty Seconds to Mars and Stevie Wonder.

Thousands of people have taken advantage of the transport services offered in and around Yas Island. Those living in Dubai have enjoyed the available bus service to Yas Island, which takes between 45 minutes to an hour. The YAS Arena, which can hold up to 50,000 spectators, is also fast becoming the number one choice for artists when they perform in the Middle East.

The Yas Island Show Weekends will see some of the biggest stars from the world of hard rock, pop and electronic music hit the stage at YAS Arena, as well as a multitude of free family activities on Yas Island.

The new season will see Janet Jackson perform on October 13, followed by the world’s biggest hard rock band Metallica on October 25. For electronic dance fans, Yas Island Show Weekends welcomes back Creamfields Abu Dhabi 2011. This year, the event will run across two days (December 8 and 9) with over 20 hours of live music and entertainment.

Make it a weekend. Make it a Yas Island Show Weekend. For tickets, visit www.thinkflash.ae. Plan your weekend at www.yasisland.com and stay tuned for the other events and surprises happening on Yas Island this year.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets stop acting like Bee aint successful :umm:

I'm not acting that way. But she has yet to earn the spot as being called the successor to the throne when album-wise she has two hits and two misses, plus her entire look is known for being like a modern Tina Turner and most of her songs were written FOR her or stolen. I will be very impressed if she can really come up with something original the 5th go around. Especially after having a kid, which will take a hell of alot out of her and cost major spotlight time. Strong enough to bear the children, then get back to business. We shall see. :coffee:

I'm not acting that way. But she has yet to earn the spot as being called the successor to the throne when album-wise she has two hits and two misses, plus her entire look is known for being like a modern Tina Turner and most of her songs were written FOR her or stolen. I will be very impressed if she can really come up with something original the 5th go around. Especially after having a kid, which will take a hell of alot out of her and cost major spotlight time. Strong enough to bear the children, then get back to business. We shall see. :coffee:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Now you know damn well you better highlight the key points. :umm:

It just mentions many celebrities who have given homage to Janet like Usher, your girl Bey, Rihanna, Toni, and some others. Plus a bit about the concert in Abu Dabi and how its her first show there, and also how successful the tour is. Not much that we haven't heard before :lol:

http://arabnews.com/lifestyle/offbeat/article509729.ece

By ARAB NEWS, LIFE.STYLE@ARABNEWS.COM

Published: Oct 1, 2011 21:39 Updated: Oct 1, 2011 21:39

R’n’B superstar Usher, one of the top best-selling artists in American music history, was one of the opening acts during Janet Jackson’s “The Velvet Rope World Tour” (1998-1999). He credits her for teaching him how to develop a stage show into a full-scale theatrical performance. "I learned a lot about how to make an artist look like a star. On the personal side, I got a chance to hug her,” said Usher.

Since the “Velvet Rope” tour, Usher has gone on to become one of the industry’s most popular performers selling out tours worldwide.

UGH!!!! It's all luv between my favs/King & Queen.

yaaas6.gif

00040hy5.gif

YOU BETTA PREACH!!!! I CO MOTHA FUCKIN SIGHN WIT EVERY DAMN THING YOU JUST SAID, YOU BETTA SPEAK THAT TRUTH WOOOOOOOOOOOO

And nobody was sayin she isnt talented, but she aint no Janet Jackson. Theres little to nothing about her that we havent seen from a predecessor (most times done better by them too). Janet changed the game in SO many ways, Janet made footsteps to be followed in (like legends) Bey is stepping in footprints, not setting them. Thats why she's not Janet's predecessor. (well theres more, but I know theres Bey fans here, so I wont READ her too bad like I normally do)

00040hy5.gif

YOU BETTA PREACH!!!! I CO MOTHA FUCKIN SIGHN WIT EVERY DAMN THING YOU JUST SAID, YOU BETTA SPEAK THAT TRUTH WOOOOOOOOOOOO

And nobody was sayin she isnt talented, but she aint no Janet Jackson. Theres little to nothing about her that we havent seen from a predecessor (most times done better by them too). Janet changed the game in SO many ways, Janet made footsteps to be followed in (like legends) Bey is stepping in footprints, not setting them. Thats why she's not Janet's predecessor. (well theres more, but I know theres Bey fans here, so I wont READ her too bad like I normally do)

Ch..you know I cosign with all of this. I don't have to say a word. Preach on, my brother. Preach on. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

And we're off..

No we're not. Not from me anyway. I've said what I wanted and needed to say. My stance is clear and since it won't be changing, there's no need to debate. :coffee:

I'd agree with that if she shattered at least 1 of Janets big name records/accomplishments, like a successor would :coffee:.

I know what he's gonna use to respond to this :rolleyes:Even though once the new millenium hit, they were nothing but hunks of metal :coffee:

Archived