Superstars pay tribute to Janet Jackson

SloLove

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd agree with that if she shattered at least 1 of Janets big name records/accomplishments, like a successor would :coffee:.

I don't understand why so many of you take everything so literally. Being a successor is not being compared, it's being the up-and-coming premiere act that's similar than the proceeding act. Whether if you want to admit it or not, Beyonce and Janet are quite similar in the context of what the writer is talking about:

Multiple Hits ✔

Impressive Album sales ✔

Major awards won ✔

Sold out world tours ✔

Critical acclaim ✔

Commercial success ✔

Respect/Admiration from preceding legends, peers, and future acts ✔

Most popular Black female of her time ✔

Greatest entertainer of her time ✔

There's no point in expecting ANY artist of this generation to be original. It's not possible. It's about regurgitation and reformation of your product. You can say her albums suck, but her lowest Metacritic score is like a 63. She's never given a bad performance. She's not strung out on drugs, flashing her poon to the paps, or acting like a coon in public. She carries herself well and works hard. Ya'll really need to let this disdain for Beyonce go.

I do wanna say one thing, though. It's generic. Originality in entertainment isn't impossible anymore. It's much much harder, but it isn't impossible. There's a solid bit of ground that can still be treaded and made into a phenomenon like never seen before. It just takes the right artist willing to dare and dream and be determined to give their all to not only being the best they can be, but being as original as they can be.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

I do wanna say one thing, though. It's generic. Originality in entertainment isn't impossible anymore. It's much much harder, but it isn't impossible. There's a solid bit of ground that can still be treaded and made into a phenomenon like never seen before. It just takes the right artist willing to dare and dream and be determined to give their all to not only being the best they can be, but being as original as they can be.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

My code

I think it's near impossible for originality in this day and age. That's why it's so many references to legends with these artists that are popular now. Fashion is the same way. There is always some reference from the past, but make it modern.

Preach

I mean not to say Rihanna is as good of a singer or dancer as Bey, but hell I consider her style and music more original than Bey, same with Xtina during the Stripped era.

Im not going to get into a big argument to why Bey isnt Janets predecessor because Im really not in the mood for debate right now, but to keep it shor, with all that thats listed about Bey's accomplishments (granted they are impressive), she lacks the stuff that made Janet REALLY special in her prime, the element of suprise, I mean music content wise more than anything, I mean personally I dont think hardly anything about her content has changed in the last 10 years. Wheres look at how many routes Janets music went between 1986-1997 with those 4 albums.

Im just sayin, you cant compare, nobody this generation can really.

I think it's near impossible for originality in this day and age. That's why it's so many references to legends with these artists that are popular now. Fashion is the same way. There is always some reference from the past, but make it modern.

Oh it's much harder, I definitely say that. Much, much harder. But the human mind was created, idk who did it, to imagine and dream in order to entertain itself. Did you know, that if you spend at least half of a day, per say, "Bored" you can create at least 3 original ideas. A full half of a day. 12 hours. It's actually good for people to bore themselves often because the mind wants to create new things and ideas. If we constantly keep it occupied, it will simply regurgitate what it has been fed because that is all it is allowed to do. The more creative minded will get better regurgitated ideas but nonetheless it isn't new. That's the main difference between the old days and now. People actually allowed themselves to be bored then and so their minds worked like crazy generating idea after idea and you see what we have now. The mind never loses this ability unless you continue to never put it into practice. This is why I spend half of my day reviewing things already out and the other half outside in the tallest tree of my yard with a blank journal, so my mind can feel free to create while eliminating what has been done before (in a manner of speaking)

Wow I gave wayy too much :asham: I am so sorry :asham:

Preach

I mean not to say Rihanna is as good of a singer or dancer as Bey, but hell I consider her style and music more original than Bey, same with Xtina during the Stripped era.

Im not going to get into a big argument to why Bey isnt Janets predecessor because Im really not in the mood for debate right now, but to keep it shor, with all that thats listed about Bey's accomplishments (granted they are impressive), she lacks the stuff that made Janet REALLY special in her prime, the element of suprise, I mean music content wise more than anything, I mean personally I dont think hardly anything about her content has changed in the last 10 years. Wheres look at how many routes Janets music went between 1986-1997 with those 4 albums.

Im just sayin, you cant compare, nobody this generation can really.

I think my reply to Hotboy can sum up what I can say to you here sparing the details of certain artists :lol:

Oh it's much harder, I definitely say that. Much, much harder. But the human mind was created, idk who did it, to imagine and dream in order to entertain itself. Did you know, that if you spend at least half of a day, per say, "Bored" you can create at least 3 original ideas. A full half of a day. 12 hours. It's actually good for people to bore themselves often because the mind wants to create new things and ideas. If we constantly keep it occupied, it will simply regurgitate what it has been fed because that is all it is allowed to do. The more creative minded will get better regurgitated ideas but nonetheless it isn't new. That's the main difference between the old days and now. People actually allowed themselves to be bored then and so their minds worked like crazy generating idea after idea and you see what we have now. The mind never loses this ability unless you continue to never put it into practice. This is why I spend half of my day reviewing things already out and the other half outside in the tallest tree of my yard with a blank journal, so my mind can feel free to create while eliminating what has been done before (in a manner of speaking)

Well I guess that's the problem then.. :unsure::filenails::asham:

I really dont think its hard being original, it just requires work, look around you at what everybody else is doing, and do something different (nobody that big in pop music made a Rhythm Nation before Janet did in 89). yea Im aware its easier said than done, but there are acts out here doing it, its ALOT more who dont, who just go with the flow and the trends and just get by, its a real risk to be out of the box, and its a risk that I respect, and its a risk that I havent seen Bey ever take.

It contributes. Often enough you always here how people research what's been done, then they try to force out new ideas while watching the past ones. Not the way to do it. -_-:asham:

Well in that case, they try to make it their "own". I really don't wanna go all into detail about it honestly, but I don't think there is gonna be someone that is completely original when so much has been laid out to them from the past.

I really dont think its hard being original, it just requires work, look around you at what everybody else is doing, and do something different (nobody that big in pop music made a Rhythm Nation before Janet did in 89). yea Im aware its easier said than done, but there are acts out here doing it, its ALOT more who dont, who just go with the flow and the trends and just get by, its a real risk to be out of the box, and its a risk that I respect, and its a risk that I havent seen Bey ever take.

It's harder for artists nowadays, to an extent, because Janet, Mike, Madonna, Prince, and some others covered alot of ground in their time. But that should encourage artists now to push even farther and tap deeper into their minds. I remember my grandfather told me before, that it's a shame how a generation that was crazy enough to not only want to go to the moon, but actually achieved it, gave birth to a generation who wants to settled with what they see here and not dare to dream. I know I'm stretching beyond the industry, but come on. With all the technology we have, and how healthy our bodies can be to accomplish things people generations before us could not, what we're doing with it all is pretty pathetic. God, I wanna be a catalyst to change this so badly. I truly truly do.

Well in that case, they try to make it their "own". I really don't wanna go all into detail about it honestly, but I don't think there is gonna be someone that is completely original when so much has been laid out to them from the past.

Only time will tell, really. We will have to see.

But how many artist have EVER been 100% original, we can all come up with brilliant ideas that we think we come up with that sec, and then find out someone else did it 30 yrs ago. Even stuff that Janet started somewhere, that influenced her. But its all about making it your own, and I dont mean changing a color (like peaple do now) I mean taking a small part of it and making it bigger, making it yours.

But how many artist have EVER been 100% original, we can all come up with brilliant ideas that we think we come up with that sec, and then find out someone else did it 30 yrs ago. Even stuff that Janet started somewhere, that influenced her. But its all about making it your own, and I dont mean changing a color (like peaple do now) I mean taking a small part of it and making it bigger, making it yours.

But that's the thing..everyone has been influenced by something..but when you make it your own, it's deemed "original". That's why the greats of my generation have created legacies and influenced the artists of today. Even those legends were influenced by their legends of their generation. It's a cycle and I've come to accept the terms. Todays artists like Bey, Gaga, Britney, and Rihanna will be considered the artists of this generation. It's simply unavoidable. But none of these girls are "original".

Preach

I mean not to say Rihanna is as good of a singer or dancer as Bey, but hell I consider her style and music more original than Bey,

6a00e54f900c3888330120a52a98ed970b(1).jpg

cd-cover.jpg

same with Xtina during the Stripped era.

51NgLXHqnJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

220px-Mcbutterfly.jpg

mj_history.jpg

I think it's near impossible for originality in this day and age.

Archived