Superstars pay tribute to Janet Jackson

SloLove

And that's why I say that no one can ever be orginial anymore..from fashion or any other "art". :asham:

Right, so I don't understand why ppl give today's artists so much about this "copying" thing. :wacko: Even back in the day artists weren't 100% original. People and their stan hangups. ohboy.gif

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm telling you..For her saying that she was inspired by this video made me like her video. I would have never known until people say that she stole the idea from that youtube video..but them old broads were getting it and Bey knew she couldn't half step.. :excited:

The pretenses of the argument are still the same.

Not exactly, what Im saying is Beyonce's entire career is mostly of doing direct copies of things or extremely similar, not just 1 video not just 1 dance move. That cant be said for Janet or Michael. True it can be said about other girls and boys this generation besides Bey, but Bey is a constant offender in that category.

Right, so I don't understand why ppl give today's artists so much about this "copying" thing. :wacko: Even back in the day artists weren't 100% original. People and their stan hangups. ohboy.gif

I think moreso because of this generation. The bar has been set so high that it's impossible to have something that is completely your own. My mind is programmed to see where these newer artists get there influence from. They will never be seen as original.

I'm telling you..For her saying that she was inspired by this video made me like her video. I would have never known until people say that she stole the idea from that youtube video..but them old broads were getting it and Bey knew she couldn't half step.. :excited:

Someone was pressed. That's all it was. -_-

LOFL, thats not even half of a copy. The entire smooth criminal video is in a club with gangsters, Alright is on the streets like a fun musical. Hell even the hats arent similar. The dance styles too. Almost nothing about those videos replecate each other, in the way so many of Bey's videos and performances do others.

Well I think that argument of her dancing the whole time is kinda week..we know that people before her had did the same thing..but it was the look and the controversy that made that video too. The camera work in itself to focus on dance wasn't really a big thing anymore. Bey knew what she was doing.

A black swimsuit and stilettos, three dancers, a metal glove, and some glorified burlesque dancing is art now? :mellow: Plus some fancy tricks with the camera..what? :blink:

This was AFTER she was caught in the act of copying AGAIN. Michael always gave homage ahead of time, yet he hardly ever borrowed.

Michael and Janet have always said that they thought like twins. Always on much of the same plane. But again, this is a video and maybe some other instances afterwards. Their careers aren't parallel. They cross sometimes, but the majority of their work is separate from each other. Beyonce gets MAJORITY of what she uses from others.

Not exactly, what Im saying is Beyonce's entire career is mostly of doing direct copies of things or extremely similar, not just 1 video not just 1 dance move. That cant be said for Janet or Michael. True it can be said about other girls and boys this generation besides Bey, but Bey is a constant offender in that category.

Oh, like how Madonna was during her time?

http://www.listal.com/list/lady-gaga-did-not-steal

http://www.aishamusic.com/lawsuit_many_artists_madonna_stole_from.htm

I think moreso because of this generation. The bar has been set so high that it's impossible to have something that is completely your own. My mind is programmed to see where these newer artists get there influence from. They will never be seen as original.

That's why I say that this era is all about regurgitating your inspirations in a new form. Like Beyonce with "Single Ladies". P!nk with the Cirque Do Soleil thing. And even Gaga with her work. Stans are so quick to call "copying" that it's ridiculous.

A black swimsuit and stilettos, three dancers, a metal glove, and some glorified burlesque dancing is art now? :mellow: Plus some fancy tricks with the camera..what? :blink:

Yes, that look sold the video as well. Madonna did it in 2005. It's not original. BUT, her influence and the fact that she danced throughout the whole video brought dance back. The video inspired so many parodies that it got sickening. It was a defining moment in her career whether you admit it or not.

Yes, that look sold the video as well. Madonna did it in 2005. It's not original. BUT, her influence and the fact that she danced throughout the whole video brought dance back. The video inspired so many parodies that it got sickening. It was a defining moment in her career whether you admit it or not.

It was a defining one, but it shouldn't get as much credit as it received. Least of all in the originality market. And to say it brought dance back is something else that seems beyond wrong.

This was AFTER she was caught in the act of copying AGAIN. Michael always gave homage ahead of time, yet he hardly ever borrowed.

Michael and Janet have always said that they thought like twins. Always on much of the same plane. But again, this is a video and maybe some other instances afterwards. Their careers aren't parallel. They cross sometimes, but the majority of their work is separate from each other. Beyonce gets MAJORITY of what she uses from others.

How can that video be after she was "caught" when she was there PREMIERING the video? :mellow:

That doesn't answer the question. Did Janet copy?

How can that video be after she was "caught" when she was there PREMIERING the video? :mellow:

It's the interview she did right after the one, I remember, she did overseas when people started calling her out on the fact that she basically copied another video.

Only the 40s theme and the few things that encompasses. Everything else? nope. So you're looking at maybe 10-20%

Wait, I was a fan when Bey premiered that video, it was out and popular by the time of the posted interview, I remember that very well (it was when I still didnt mind her, but by the time Diva came out I realized she was not worth my time no mo)

NO, like I said in my response, those videos are COMPLETELY different, almost literally night & day. from the dance styles, to the hats.

Smooth Criminal was a gangster type video

Alright was a fun musical type of video

the only thing the same is that it took place in the 30's or 40s

It was a defining one, but it shouldn't get as much credit as it received. Least of all in the originality market. And to say it brought dance back is something else that seems beyond wrong.

Well I think the "originality" aspect shouldn't even be questioned. I think we're all in agreement that newer artists aren't original. I don't give her that much credit in that department, but for her to publicly say she was influenced by that video and modernized it was a good look. I was sitting in the barbershop getting my hair cut and the video played. My barber was like "That's the video of the year right there". This was before I seen the Bob Fosse one. I wanted to chime in but I didn't. At that time, I was like it was a cheap looking video and the dancing was ok. After witnessing the Bob Fosse one, I was like "DAMN". It made me get into the SL video because it was a different look and it was full out dancing.

Well I think the "originality" aspect shouldn't even be questioned. I think we're all in agreement that newer artists aren't original. I don't give her that much credit in that department, but for her to publicly say she was influenced by that video and modernized it was a good look. I was sitting in the barbershop getting my hair cut and the video played. My barber was like "That's the video of the year right there". This was before I seen the Bob Fosse one. I wanted to chime in but I didn't. At that time, I was like it was a cheap looking video and the dancing was ok. After witnessing the Bob Fosse one, I was like "DAMN". It made me get into the SL video because it was a different look and it was full out dancing.

Something I'm not really connecting about your post with this, how did seeing she basically copied a full video make you like it? I mean, maybe it's just me, but total copies of something I already like with minor adjustments turn me off to projects.

Something I'm not really connecting about your post with this, how did seeing she basically copied a full video make you like it? I mean, maybe it's just me, but total copies of something I already like with minor adjustments turn me off to projects.

Have you seen the Bob Fosse video? Them broads were getting it! Beyonce modernized it that catered to this generation. That's why I starting liking it.

But what me & Strawberry keep saying is, its not even just about being un original, or copying 1 video, its copying MAJORITY of your videos and performances, that I dont respect. I honestly dont think between 1999-2011 between Bey & DC all the times I've given her (them) credit for something I thought they started, and then had it thrown back in my face that someone else did it 1st. ALOT of times, I hated it when I loved Bey and I hate it even more now that I cant stand her.

Wait, I was a fan when Bey premiered that video, it was out and popular by the time of the posted interview, I remember that very well (it was when I still didnt mind her, but by the time Diva came out I realized she was not worth my time no mo)

NO, like I said in my response, those videos are COMPLETELY different, almost literally night & day. from the dance styles, to the hats.

Smooth Criminal was a gangster type video

Alright was a fun musical type of video

the only thing the same is that it took place in the 30's or 40s

No it wasn't. "Single Ladies", the video, didn't become popular until December because people were still in favor of "If I Were A Boy". Hence why "Single Ladies" didn't hit its peak until January '09 despite premiering in mid November.

Oh, just like how the only thing in the Bob Fosse and Beyonce video are the triangular dance formation and a few steps? You see your double standard yet?

But what me & Strawberry keep saying is, its not even just about being un original, or copying 1 video, its copying MAJORITY of your videos and performances, that I dont respect. I honestly dont think between 1999-2011 between Bey & DC all the times I've given her (them) credit for something I thought they started, and then had it thrown back in my face that someone else did it 1st. ALOT of times, I hated it when I loved Bey and I hate it even more now that I cant stand her.

And when you mentioned this the first time I agreed with you.

:cheers: on that one, I mean I HONESTLY with everything I got give Bey credit that for me its a very entertaining video, but direct copies make me deduct ALOT of points/respect, period. Even when I love it and its executed perfectly, I will lose respect for it (unless its purposely a joke, I mean I love parodies so I give those a full pass)

Have you seen the Bob Fosse video? Them broads were getting it! Beyonce modernized it that catered to this generation. That's why I starting liking it.

I did. I actually saw it before Single Ladies dropped. I LOVED it and still do. Then when I realized that Bey had really just remade it, it really turned me off. I just have a complex with seeing certain things remade. And with her, I'd seen way too much copying from artists I adore to really embrace that video as anything more than more copying.

Archived