Zachary Quinto comes out

Kim

Spock actor Zachary Quinto comes out as a gay man

2011-10-16T180945Z_01_BTRE79F1EH400_RTROPTP_2_CENTERTAINMENT-US-QUINTO.JPG

Actor Zachary Quinto, known for portraying Spock in the 2009 blockbuster film "Star Trek," has publicly come out as a gay man.

In an interview with New York Magazine published on Sunday, Quinto recalled a stage play he performed in last year, "Angels in America," which was set against the backdrop of the AIDS epidemic and the toll it took on him personally.

"(A)s a gay man, it made me feel like there's still so many things that need to be looked at and addressed," he told the magazine.

Quinto, who rose to fame playing the evil killer Sylar on the television series "Heroes," also mused to the magazine about gay marriage and young gay teens who have committed suicide after being bullied.

"And again, as a gay man, I look at that and say there's a hopelessness that surrounds, but as a human being I look at it and say 'Why? Where's this disparity coming from...?" he said.

Quinto was most recently seen in a small role as one of Anna Faris' lovers in the comedy film "What's Your Number?"

He also is a recurring character on the FX series "American Horror Story," in which he plays a gay ghost.

Quinto, 34, is promoting the upcoming film "Margin Call," which he produced and stars in as well. He will reprise the role of Spock in the another installment of the "Star Trek" franchise, which goes into production in January.

----

YASSSS SYLAR!!! :excited:

Good for him! :cheer:

why is it "good" for him to come out when honestly its non of our business who he gets down with...i will never get it honestly..I feel the only people obliged to know are the people you may be in a relationship with ..

:sigh:

He obviously felt burdened about not being out, or he wouldn't have made it public. So yes, "good" for him for lifting his own burden.

why is it "good" for him to come out when honestly its non of our business who he gets down with...i will never get it honestly..I feel the only people obliged to know are the people you may be in a relationship with ..

So when you find out someone is getting married, or dating a new person, do you say "That's none of my business"? :mellow:

Finally!

Right!

I mean, it wasn't really a secrete. People had been buzzing about this since Heroes first premiered. I mean, i'm happy he came out because that is a burden that no one, yet too many people tend to continue to deal with. So good for him. Although anybody with a perfectly functional gaydar knew about him a while ago. He was basically open and honest about it before heroes blew up. A lot of folks in LA were familiar with him.

Its good because he feels comfortable with himself and free enough to say he is gay. If he does an interview and says hes gay hes making it our business who he gets down with.

Since when have celebrity relationships not been a matter of public speculation?

Its good because he feels comfortable with himself and free enough to say he is gay. If he does an interview and says hes gay hes making it our business who he gets down with.

Since when have celebrity relationships not been a matter of public speculation?

If his gay and his comfortable with it as you and most people say..he can continue living his life....going out in public with his partner..and eventually what he wants known will get out there..not to go and make a public announcement of it..because to me its just not necessary..

but as austin said..coming out publicly seems to be the new publicity stunt when people career's are no longer hot and they need some media attention

If his gay and his comfortable with it as you and most people say..he can continue living his life....going out in public with his partner..and eventually what he wants known will get out there..not to go and make a public announcement of it..because to me its just not necessary..

but as austin said..coming out publicly seems to be the new publicity stunt when people career's are no longer hot and they need some media attention

It marks the first time the actor -- known for his roles in the TV series Heroes and the recent Star Trek reboot -- has spoken publicly about being gay.

So why did he decide now is the best time to officially come out?

In a post on his website, Quinto wrote that he was motivated after learning of the death of Jamey Rodemeyer, the gay teen who committed suicide last month after years of being bullied. Quinto last year shot an emotional video for “It Gets Better,” a campaign aimed at ending the antigay bullying that has led many gay teens to suicide.

"When I found out that Jamey Rodemeyer killed himself, I felt deeply troubled," he wrote. "But when I found out that Jamey Rodemeyer had made an 'It Gets Better' video only months before taking his own life, I felt indescribable despair. "

He said he then felt the need to publicly acknowledge his homosexuality in the hope that he could help prevent something similar from happening again.

“In light of Jamey's death," he wrote, "it became clear to me in an instant that living a gay life without publicly acknowledging it is simply not enough to make any significant contribution to the immense work that lies ahead on the road to complete equality."

He continued: "Our society needs to recognize the unstoppable momentum toward unequivocal civil equality for every gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered citizen of this country. Gay kids need to stop killing themselves because they are made to feel worthless by cruel and relentless bullying."

He also encouraged parents to teach their children "the principles of respect and acceptance."

"I believe in the power of intention to change the landscape of our society, and it is my intention to live an authentic life of compassion and integrity and action," he continued. "Jamey Rodemeyer's life changed mine. And while his death only makes me wish that I had done this sooner, I am eternally grateful to him for being the catalyst for change within me. Now I can only hope to serve as the same catalyst for even one other person in this world."

While Quinto's sexuality has been questioned and picked at in the tabloids over the years, the actor has never publicly addressed the rumors. He has, however, played many gay roles (on Tori Spelling’s So NoTORIous and on the new FX series American Horror Story) and been an outspoken advocate of equal rights.

Quinto told New York magazine that his role last year in the off-Broadway revival of Angels in America -- in which he played a gay man who abandons his AIDS-stricken boyfriend -- was both “the most challenging thing I’ve ever done as an actor and the most rewarding.”

“At the same time,” he added, “as a gay man, it made me feel like there’s still so much work to be done, and there’s still so many things that need to be looked at and addressed.”

He also argued that the recent positive changes for the gay community (the legalization of gay marriage in New York) are qualified by the backwards steps of continued gay bullying and Rodemeyer's suicide.

“Again, as a gay man I look at that and say there’s a hopelessness that surrounds it, but as a human being I look at it and say ‘Why? Where’s this disparity coming from, and why can’t we as a culture and society dig deeper to examine that?’ We’re terrified of facing ourselves.”

Quinto is currently in theaters in a small role in What’s Your Number? -- playing a boyfriend of Anna Faris -- and will be seen later this month playing a gay dead owner of the haunted house in American Horror Story. His new movie, Margin Call, which he co-produced and stars opposite Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany and Jeremy Irons, opens Oct. 21.

I don't think there is anything wrong at all with trying to do something in the hope you can offer someone going through a tough time coming out some sort of hope. The entire 'It gets better campaign' is all about that. And clearly with all these gay teens killing themselves it is necessary for them to find some hope from somewhere.

It isnt like hes some washed up has been. He will be in the Star trek reboot sequel, the first was a great success and he was fantastic as Spock. Audiences and critics agreed he was great in the role. He was practically the ONLY thing good about Heroes.

Everyones a cynic these days. He was never really in the closet he just didnt talk about his private life really. But, if it helps someone somewhere having trouble I don't see what the problem with that is.

I don't think there is anything wrong at all with trying to do something in the hope you can offer someone going through a tough time coming out some sort of hope. The entire 'It gets better campaign' is all about that. And clearly with all these gay teens killing themselves it is necessary for them to find some hope from somewhere.

It isnt like hes some washed up has been. He will be in the Star trek reboot sequel, the first was a great success and he was fantastic as Spock. Audiences and critics agreed he was great in the role. He was practically the ONLY thing good about Heroes.

Everyones a cynic these days. He was never really in the closet he just didnt talk about his private life really. But, if it helps someone somewhere having trouble I don't see what the problem with that is.

Well from that point of view i understand

But one thing is i don't like that people make it seem like once a person maybe anything other than straight he is obliged to make a public announcement otherwise ..his in denial or not proud ,trying to hide it or something of that sort .. i applaud anyone who feels like coming out will be give suicidal teens some hope.its really noble..

I just don't think a person sexual orientation should be big news..but i guess i should blame the society we live in