National Recording Registry - Rhythm Nation 1814

Mr. Wonder

So a few days ago I asked the Library of Congress when they were gonna add the fourth chapter of the Holy Book to the National Recording Registry. They actually responded to my inquiry (:lmao:), and gave me the criteria as follows:

Recordings selected for the National Recording Registry are those that are culturally, historically or aesthetically important, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States.

Rhythm Nation 1814?

For the purposes of recording selection, "sound recordings" are defined as works that result from the fixation of a series of musical, spoken, or other sounds, but not including the sound component of a moving image work, unless it is available as an autonomous sound recording or is the only extant component of the work.

Rhythm Nation 1814?

Recordings may be a single item or group of related items; published or unpublished; and may contain music, non-music, spoken word, or broadcast sound.

Rhythm Nation 1814?

Recordings will not be considered for inclusion into the National Recording Registry if no copy of the recording exists.

Rhythm Nation 1814? Of course if no copy exists, we all have our copies of the holy book on hand if need be.

No recording is eligible for inclusion into the National Recording Registry until ten years after the recording's creation.

Rhythm Nation 1814?

How to Nominate Recordings to the Registry

Nominations are forwarded to the Librarian of Congress and the National Recording Preservation Board for their consideration.

Nominations must meet the Recording Registry Selection Criteria.

We've got this covered given the aforementioned information.

Individuals may submit up to fifty Registry nominations per year. Please include in your nomination as much information about the recording as possible. All nominations should include the recording artist(s), title, and record label name/number for published recordings or a brief but specific description for unpublished and broadcast recordings.

This is where we need to let them HAVE IT. We have all the background info, so that other stuff is of no strenuous labor.

Nominations should also include a very brief justification.

I'm assuming this is like a summary. I already have something in mind for this part, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Due to the number of submissions anticipated, nominations will not be acknowledged.

Because of this, we have to make the submission GREAT.

Essentially what we'll be doing is a short essay of the RN1814 album and why it should be added to the National Recording Registry. See next post.....(wait for me to post it though >_<)

• Upvote 2

So a rough draft of an outline would go something like this:

I. Introduction

• A. Title, artist's name, record label, etc
    B. Album stats - sales, charts, awards, etc
    C. The overall success of the project

II. Rhythm Nation 1814

• A. Impact
      B. Musical influence

III. Legacy

A. Its place in history

B. The influence

That's the pro tempore outline, subject to change though.

I figured we could use articles, videos, praise, etc all included in the submission.

So a few days ago I asked the Library of Congress when they were gonna add the fourth chapter of the Holy Book to the National Recording Registry. They actually responded to my inquiry (:lmao:), and gave me the criteria as follows:

Please tell me you actually called it that in your email. :lol:

Please tell me you actually called it that in your email. :lol:

No I asked them on twitter. :asham: I had to show a level of professionalism and make them aware that I was serious.

AWESOME MAN!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Are we helping you with the essay? I think I read that in there somewhere :asham: If so, you know I'm down :thumbup:

Yeah, basically. I'm gonna throw something together, and then we can just go from there and edit it with information everyone finds. It'll be like the Control Anniversary thread, but will focus more on the latter part of that thread.

I'm shit at writing but I'd love to take part in anyway I can. RN1814 changed so many peoples lives and it is STILL relevant to this day (as I highlighted in my sermon about it).

:thumbup:

If you can, find that sermon so I can piece together a short essay. If I can ever get away from these Sailor Moon episodes, I can have a draft of the essay done by midnight US EST.

Austin, I love you.

Best-Cry-Ever.gif?1276117364

Okay, here's what I've drafted so far:

• Recording Artist: Janet Jackson
    Title: (Janet Jackson's) Rhythm Nation 1814
    Released: September 18, 1989
    Record Label: A&M Records (presently: Interscope Records)

Our most cherished moments in life are those which no philosophical theory can explain. They spend an eternity in our hearts, in our minds, and in our souls. And in the course of nearly 250 years, the United States has produced those cherished moments that history books never fail to record. FDR's 1939 broadcast was a moment in television. The Thrilla in Manila was a moment in sports. Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation 1814" was a moment in music.

After establishing herself as one of the pop's newest musical forces with 1986's "Control", Janet Jackson set out deal with a troubled world in a positive way. A 23 year-old woman diminutive in stature, but a voice the size of Texas captured the hearts and minds of Americans with the release of 1989's "Rhythm Nation 1814". Jackson's album takes listeners on a journey that sheds light on social issues that often receive the blind eye. Jackson opens the album with the political statement "Rhythm Nation", a song calling for unity and an end to racism. Jackson is relentless in her pursuit as she belts, "It's time to give a damn let's work together!" The journey continues with the disturbing "State of the World", "The Knowledge" stressing the importance of education, and "Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)", which decries the reality of children being exposed to violence.

"Rhythm Nation 1814" has proven to be the voice for a subculture where cries for help have fallen upon deaf ears, and the need for help has only been seen by the blind eye. The album chronicles the everyday encounters of America's inner city youth - child homelessness, teenage pregnancy, drugs, crime, and hunger.

"Rhythm Nation 1814" proved to be a massive success. Since its release, the album has sold a staggering 10 million copies in the United States. Most notably, the album is the first, and remains the only album, to produce 7 top 5 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, a record that bested brother Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteens' record of 7 top 10 hits set by "Thriller" and "Born In The USA" respectively. Additionally, the album remains the only album in U.S. history to produce a #1 Billboard Hot 100 hit in three separate calendar years, a testament of the album's longevity and Jackson's dominance of the music scene. Naturally, Jackson was no stranger at award shows. She took home an impressive 15 Billboard Music Awards in 1990, where the announcer stated, "Not since Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' has an artist dominated the field so completely. And never before in history has a woman won this unprecedented number of awards." Other awards included five American Music Awards, the NAACP's "Chairman's Award" (later given to Barack Obama in 2005, Bono in 2007, and Al Gore in 2009), three MTV Video Music Awards (including the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award), four Grammy nominations including one win, and a slew of other awards the album collected.

Your input is very much so needed.

Just as a note, I want to use the phrase "social fabric of America" somewhere in this. I think it has a ring to it.

I also want to address the highs of the album, as I've already pointed out the lows. The drugs of BC, the interracial relationships of LWND, the importance of friends in Lonely and Alright, and safe sex in SIT.

The second and third paragraphs will be the MOST important, btw.

Wow. I'm nearly speechless. What you have so far is brilliant. Presumably they want strict facts and you have that covered unless more detail is in mind. Based on what I read of past submissions, http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2011/11-073.html, you've given what they ask for and more.

What do you feel could be missing?

Thank you. :wub:

I was trying to summarize the album without being too lengthy. The third paragraph is kinda what I want the whole thing to be, like an overall view of the album.

The excerpts they use when describe the album would probably be the "justification" thing they were talking about. I have something in mind for that. But in the criteria they said as much info as possible. I'll take out the last paragraph, just shorten it, and then bring the second and third paragraph into one.

Ah, just read the note. The phrase you want, I'd say, should/could be added in the beginning, perhaps. Maybe between the 3rd and 4th line. "Memories which create vibrant threads in the social fabric of America deserve to be recognized and acknowledged to their full 'potential'?." ? Top of my head idea :asham:

After the phrase "often receive the blind eye", I'd actually, maybe, leave that there or expound more on the album itself in a way and discuss the songs of the album in a paragraph of their own. Perhaps even a heavy but short-sweet statement on even the interludes. How even with their minimal length, they reinforce the message of the songs of the album. Such as "Race", "T.V." and definitely "Livin'...In Complete Darkness". The children singing adds a definite ethos and pathos appeal. Or would that make it too long and maybe miss the point? Keep the heavy songs as you have them at the start of the paragraphs and then use a very creative phrase in the middle to transition to the highs of the album.

Thank you. :wub:

I was trying to summarize the album without being too lengthy. The third paragraph is kinda what I want the whole thing to be, like an overall view of the album.

The excerpts they use when describe the album would probably be the "justification" thing they were talking about. I have something in mind for that. But in the criteria they said as much info as possible. I'll take out the last paragraph, just shorten it, and then bring the second and third paragraph into one.

You're welcome, sweetheart :blush:

That makes sense. There's alot packed into this one album so a summary's a tad tricky, but you're well on pace.

How do you plan to shorten the last one? Maybe just list the awards? Then that may take a little personality from the whole thing lol. Hmm, good plan. You still plan to keep with song descriptions or would that be too lengthy?

Got an idea:

"These memories serve as thread that make up the social fabric of America."

And I think "Short but poignant, the interludes tie together each of the tracks, and reinforce the message of the album." would work. :unsure:

I definitely like that ethos and pathos idea, but I'm not sure if the person or persons reading knows what that is. I'll keep it in mind though.

Transitioning the album will take some work. I'll have to read some reviews and then take inspiration from there and then see what I get.

Also, look here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=1-pH4i3jXvAC&pg=PA570&lpg=PA570&dq=%22Rhythm+Nation+1814%22+rapped+vocals&source=bl&ots=XHlVDVxWMR&sig=zRQvJagPpLo8MiYvuS2w-Du2UdI&hl=en&ei=XlhfTc22FsH38Aby2e2kDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CC0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

You see how they summarized the album, but it has a punch? I want it to have that same punch, but like a 1-2 combo follow up. The last paragraph will definitely have to go. The focus should be the actual album.

Got an idea:

"These memories serve as thread that make up the social fabric of America."

And I think "Short by poignant, the interludes tie together each of the tracks, and reinforce the message of the album." would work. :unsure:

I definitely like that ethos and pathos idea, but I'm not sure if the person or persons reading knows what that is. I'll keep it in mind though.

Transitioning the album will take some work. I'll have to read some reviews and then take inspiration from there and then see what I get.

That's like a short version of what I did :asham: Sweet :lol:

That sounds great to me :thumbup:

Haha, if any of them have had even a semester of a college level English class, they know what ethos and pathos are lol. If not, it's always safe to play with "ethics". Americans love to boast about their morality, most of the time, so a good hit there would give some good heat.

Alright, good plan.

Also, look here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=1-pH4i3jXvAC&pg=PA570&lpg=PA570&dq=%22Rhythm+Nation+1814%22+rapped+vocals&source=bl&ots=XHlVDVxWMR&sig=zRQvJagPpLo8MiYvuS2w-Du2UdI&hl=en&ei=XlhfTc22FsH38Aby2e2kDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CC0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

You see how they summarized the album, but it has a punch? I want it to have that same punch, but like a 1-2 combo follow up. The last paragraph will definitely have to go. The focus should be the actual album.

Getting that same punch just requires some colorful vocab and phrasing it right. Time to break out the Thesaurus lol.

Hmm, good point. If you take that out, you leave more room for the impact it had on people, themselves. Would a quick mention to the girls she inspired to go back to school with "The Knowledge" be good? Real situation. Not an extended mention, just a reinforcing point.

That's like a short version of what I did :asham: Sweet :lol:

That sounds great to me :thumbup:

Haha, if any of them have had even a semester of a college level English class, they know what ethos and pathos are lol. If not, it's always safe to play with "ethics". Americans love to boast about their morality, most of the time, so a good hit there would give some good heat.

Alright, good plan.

As for the ethos and pathos thing, I think it's a good idea to put some of the verbiage the company uses in the essay. It's just a professional way to be a kiss ass, speaking from personal experience. :whistle: So "reflects life in the United States" has to go in there. The international members would be crucial if they could shed a little light on how RN1814 affected their view of America. So Bu, TE, CND, Selz.... :whistle:

Getting that same punch just requires some colorful vocab and phrasing it right. Time to break out the Thesaurus lol.

Hmm, good point. If you take that out, you leave more room for the impact it had on people, themselves. Would a quick mention to the girls she inspired to go back to school with "The Knowledge" be good? Real situation. Not an extended mention, just a reinforcing point.

:lmao: @ thesaurus. Been down that road before... :whistle:

That is DEFINITELY going in. That was one of the first things I thought about.