National Recording Registry - Rhythm Nation 1814

Mr. Wonder

As for the ethos and pathos thing, I think it's a good idea to put some of the verbiage the company uses in the essay. It's just a professional way to be a kiss ass, speaking from personal experience. :whistle: So "reflects life in the United States" has to go in there. The international members would be crucial if they could shed a little light on how RN1814 affected their view of America. So Bu, TE, CND, Selz.... :whistle:

:lmao: @ thesaurus. Been down that road before... :whistle:

That is DEFINITELY going in. That was one of the first things I thought about.

If you do that, just be sure to phrase it at least slightly different so they don't catch it upon first read :lol: Had that issue before :whistle:

Hmm, Bu should be in here and he can bring Selz and/or Paul. I can message Coni and get him in here to give some input and he can get TE. :thumbup:

Haven't we all? :lmao:

Good, good. That'll sell it to them for sure.

Wow I love what you've written so far! :clapping: Not sure if it's long enough as it is, but maybe it could be mentioned that she (paraphrased >_<) grabbed listeners' attention by combining these important social issues in the lyrics with contemporary music sound (It's strong musically and lyrically).

Also, Stevie Wonder calling RN1814 the greatest pop album in history has to go in. That'll give us leverage since he already has an album that's been added to their registry.

That would be great to add at the start. Maybe a sentence that could give it some, what's the word, credentials from one they felt was great enough to be added? To the idea of "One of your own has named this as the greatest pop albums in history", but maybe not saying so that overtly lol.

If you do that, just be sure to phrase it at least slightly different so they don't catch it upon first read :lol: Had that issue before :whistle:

Hmm, Bu should be in here and he can bring Selz and/or Paul. I can message Coni and get him in here to give some input and he can get TE. :thumbup:

Haven't we all? :lmao:

Good, good. That'll sell it to them for sure.

I figured that much when I was trying to fit it in. The verb tense would have to be changed. But I'll definitely be putting it in.

I'm sure CND will see when he comes on later. Usually around 12 am EST. But definitely let the others know please. ^_^

That would be great to add at the start. Maybe a sentence that could give it some, what's the word, credentials from one they felt was great enough to be added? To the idea of "One of your own has named this as the greatest pop albums in history", but maybe not saying so that overtly lol.

I definitely like that. It's an attention grabber. :thumbup:

And I was thinking changing this:

"Rhythm Nation 1814" has proven to be the voice for a subculture where cries for help have fallen upon deaf ears, and the need for help has only been seen by the blind eye. The album chronicles the everyday encounters of America's inner city youth - child homelessness, teenage pregnancy, drugs, crime, and hunger."

To this:

"In a subculture where cries for help have fallen upon deaf ears, and the need for help has only been seen by the blind eye, "Rhythm Nation 1814" has proven to be the voice of the forgotten(?)(need help with a better metaphor). The album chronicles the everyday encounters of America's inner city youth - child homelessness, teenage pregnancy, drugs, crime, and hunger."

Amazing draft! :o

Thank you. ^_^

Wow I love what you've written so far! :clapping: Not sure if it's long enough as it is, but maybe it could be mentioned that she (paraphrased >_<) grabbed listeners' attention by combining these important social issues in the lyrics with contemporary music sound (It's strong musically and lyrically).

Thanks. ^_^ And that was my idea for the "justification" part, and I was gonna just expand briefly on how that formula is still being used today. :o

I figured that much when I was trying to fit it in. The verb tense would have to be changed. But I'll definitely be putting it in.

I'm sure CND will see when he comes on later. Usually around 12 am EST. But definitely let the others know please. ^_^

I definitely like that. It's an attention grabber. :thumbup:

And I was thinking changing this:

"Rhythm Nation 1814" has proven to be the voice for a subculture where cries for help have fallen upon deaf ears, and the need for help has only been seen by the blind eye. The album chronicles the everyday encounters of America's inner city youth - child homelessness, teenage pregnancy, drugs, crime, and hunger."

To this:

"In a subculture where cries for help have fallen upon deaf ears, and the need for help has only been seen by the blind eye, "Rhythm Nation 1814" has proven to be the voice of the forgotten(?)(need help with a better metaphor). The album chronicles the everyday encounters of America's inner city youth - child homelessness, teenage pregnancy, drugs, crime, and hunger."

Alright. Sounds good.

Okay. I'm messaging them now ^_^

Right? There's not a reason to decide against it at that point :thumbup:

Love the new paragraph. "Voice of the the forgotten" does sound great though. It's powerful. Hmm...different metaphor though...? How about using a song title and expounding? "Voice of the lonely, the forgotten, the (add something else here), a voice which could no longer be silenced"?

Also, I just thought of something. Since the reason she used the "1814" had to do with Francis Scott Key's "The Star Spangled Banner", why not incorporate that in there, allusion-like, towards the end some how? Maybe the last sentence? "And in accordance with the honor and pride we feel when we see our star spangled banner, the flag of the Rhythm Nation is one that Jackson made sure that will not only make our nation proud, but stand for the nation as a testament to Her(the nation) glory." or something like that. I've been watching too many war movies lately :lmao:

Since Andy gave me the idea already, might as well throw this together:

• Francis Scott Key penned the national anthem on September 14, 1814. The same week 175 years later, a new anthem was released, "Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814." Janet Jackson grabbed America's attention by combining social issues with a contemporary music sound that is strong both musically and lyrically. Jackson reaches out to a generation that missed Marvin Gaye's landmark release "What's Going On?" by being a the voice for a troubled audience. Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation 1814" is a call to action in the fight against injustice, illiteracy, violence, drugs, and bigotry.

I'll expand on this later.

Alright. Sounds good.

Okay. I'm messaging them now ^_^

Right? There's not a reason to decide against it at that point :thumbup:

Love the new paragraph. "Voice of the the forgotten" does sound great though. It's powerful. Hmm...different metaphor though...? How about using a song title and expounding? "Voice of the lonely, the forgotten, the (add something else here), a voice which could no longer be silenced"?

Also, I just thought of something. Since the reason she used the "1814" had to do with Francis Scott Key's "The Star Spangled Banner", why not incorporate that in there, allusion-like, towards the end some how? Maybe the last sentence? "And in accordance with the honor and pride we feel when we see our star spangled banner, the flag of the Rhythm Nation is one that Jackson made sure that will not only make our nation proud, but stand for the nation as a testament to Her(the nation) glory." or something like that. I've been watching too many war movies lately :lmao:

"Voice of the forgotten" just sounded a little cheesy to me. But I'll keep it for now. Might get more ideas somewhere down the road and want to change it.

That 1814 idea does sound good. I'll put it in the post where Andy brought it up.

"Voice of the forgotten" just sounded a little cheesy to me. But I'll keep it for now. Might get more ideas somewhere down the road and want to change it.

That 1814 idea does sound good. I'll put it in the post where Andy brought it up.

Hmm maybe slightly. Yet it does work for it, and it's honest. Good idea though to hold off for a bit.

Alright. Cool.

Just sent the message to the others, btw ^_^

You're very welcome :blush: It will. This is coming together wonderfully and we have alot to work with. RN1814 will be inducted. No doubt about it. She and the album itself both deserve this ^_^

Also, for the life of me I can't remember, but Janet said something about 1814 also being the year that women were allowed formal education, or allowed to vote or something like that. But I can not remember what it is. >_<

Also, for the life of me I can't remember, but Janet said something about 1814 also being the year that women were allowed formal education, or allowed to vote or something like that. But I can not remember what it is. >_<

Hmm, women weren't allowed to vote until the 1900s. Education kinda depended on the country and status in society even with women. :lol:

Great job so far. :thumbup:

Thank you. ^_^

She may have been referring to the Emma Willard School: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Willard_School#School_History

And I think this is it. :excited: It's ringing bells. :thumbup:

Looks like Babs just found something on that train of thought. Now all that needs to be found is Janet's mention of it.

I think that's what I was thinking of. As for looking for where Janet said it? Ch....

I know this was brought up already, but this quote has some potential to be used. Although it's really just commentary from Janet. lol

The first meaning of "1814" is that R (Rhythm) is the 18th letter in the alphabet and N (Nation) is the 14th. Hence 1814. The second meaning is pretty awesome as Janet explained, "White writing Rhythm Nation, I was kidding around saying, "God you guys, I feel like this could be the national anthem for the 90's…Just by a crazy chance we decided to look up when Francis Scott Key wrote the national anthem and it was September 14, 1814.

Minus that typo. lol National anthem of the 90s... I like that. :excited:

• Recording Artist: Janet Jackson
    Title: (Janet Jackson's) Rhythm Nation 1814
    Released: September 18, 1989
    Record Label: A&M Records (presently: Interscope Records)

After establishing herself as one of the pop's newest musical forces with 1986's "Control", Janet Jackson set out to deal with a troubled world in a positive way. A 23 year-old woman diminutive in stature, but a voice the size of Texas captured the hearts and minds of Americans with the release of 1989's "Rhythm Nation 1814". In a country where cries for help have fallen upon deaf ears, and the need for help has only been seen by the blind eye, "Rhythm Nation 1814" has proven to be the voice of the forgotten. Jackson's album takes listeners on a journey that sheds light on social issues that often receive the blind eye. Jackson opens the album with the political statement "Rhythm Nation", a song calling for unity and an end to racism. Jackson is relentless in her pursuit as she belts, "It's time to give a damn let's work together!" The journey continues with the disturbing "State of the World", "The Knowledge" stressing the importance of education, and "Livin' In A World (They Didn't Make)", which decries the reality of children being exposed to violence. Short but poignant, the interludes operate as segues between songs, tying them together and reinforcing the message of the album. The album reflects America's social pariahs - child homelessness, teenage pregnancy, drugs, crime, and hunger. Contrastingly, Jackson balances the album with the progressive "Love Will Never Do (Without You)", a statement of love being color blind. "Alright" and "Escapade" express the love for personal relationships, while the latter finds Jacksons explaining the necessity of enjoying life where "we'll make the rules up as we go along, and break them all, if we're not having fun." The album closes with "Someday Is Tonight", a jazz tuned ballad letting kids know to wait until the right time to take off the purity rings.

Our most cherished moments in life are those which no philosophical theory can explain. They spend an eternity in our hearts, in our minds, and in our souls. And in the course of nearly 250 years, the United States has produced those cherished moments that history books never fail to record. FDR's 1939 broadcast is a moment in television. The Thrilla in Manila is a moment in sports. Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation 1814" is a moment in music. These memories serve as thread in the social fabric of America.

Second draft.

I want to change those descriptions of LWND, Alright, and Escapade.

For LWND, I wanna do like....how interracial dating is like a sign of people becoming more color blind, more accepting of one another, etc.

For Alright, it's about friendship, but I want to have a better wording. Same with Escapade, which is a song basically about leaving troubles behind and enjoying life. Just needs better wording.

• Upvote 1

Since Andy gave me the idea already, might as well throw this together:

• Francis Scott Key penned the national anthem on September 14, 1814. The same week 175 years later, a new anthem was released, "Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814." Janet Jackson grabbed America's attention by combining social issues with a contemporary music sound that was strong both musically and lyrically. Jackson reaches out to a generation that missed Marvin Gaye's landmark release "What's Going On?" by being a the voice for a troubled country. Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation 1814" is a call to action, and a political statement, in the fight against injustice, illiteracy, violence, drugs, and bigotry. "Rhythm Nation 1814" remains a moment in music as one of your own inductees, Stevie Wonder, has named this as the greatest pop album in history.

I'll expand on this later.

Second draft of this. Still needs work imo

• Upvote 1