National Recording Registry - Rhythm Nation 1814

Mr. Wonder

Gil seems to pompous, and wouldn't tell and Mikel would try to take credit like it was his idea. :filenails: I will have none of those girls' foolishness. :filenails: We could get Switchy to tell FreeXone about it. :unsure:

:rolleyes::lol: :lol: :lol:

Gil is pompous, but we would need someone that communicates with him frequently via twitter/facebook to tell him. I think he would pay more attention and even pass it along if it came from someone he knew and generally liked in the Janet fan community.

I don't think Mikel would do that. :lol: :lol: :lol: Then again... :unsure: I think he and Dave are probably our best chance along with FreeXone. I forgot about him. That probably is the best choice..I suppose.

Hmm, I'll see where inspiration takes me. It'll probably just be a small mention for length's sake.

That's what I'm gonna do. Just wait for the ideas to hit me instead of searching for them.

:rolleyes::lol: :lol: :lol:

Gil is pompous, but we would need someone that communicates with him frequently via twitter/facebook to tell him. I think he would pay more attention and even pass it along if it came from someone he knew and generally liked in the Janet fan community.

I don't think Mikel would do that. :lol: :lol: :lol: Then again... :unsure: I think he and Dave are probably our best chance along with FreeXone. I forgot about him. That probably is the best choice..I suppose.

Right, Gil would pay one of use random bitches if we told him. Where's one of his kiss asses? :unsure:

FreeXone works directly with her team. So that would be best. And while we're at it, have FreeXone show Janet and her team the sales thread, and perhaps they'll take the hint. <_<

:rolleyes: It was just a suggestion. lol

Well if Janet media has it we're good. I can always edit out the "JanetMedia" tag (no shade to Janet Media -_- lol)

It's on there. Janet-Journey also has it, but it's not up for download yet. I'm sure it's floating around on the net somewhere. It's just a matter of finding it. :sigh:

Austin, this is incredible. :tear: I'm so proud of you for this.

I don't know if this will be of help but: For me, RN1814 will always be a universal album. Its themes of social injustice, racism, personal empowerment and unity, do not just apply to Americans - they are applicable to every citizen inhabiting this planet. Irrespective of race and culture, these themes tap into our inner core and our desire to strive for something far more powerful and tangible than our mere existence.

Take from this what you will. I hope it helps tbh.

You said you want us international fans to tell you how RN1814 made us think of America. Honestly RN1814 isn't just relevant to America. The issues discussed in the album happen EVERYWHERE. Every country has racism. Every country has a drug problem. Every country has a homeless problem and so on. Though the album made the greatest impact in America the message was global. As an international person I always looked up to America - most of the things I loved as a kid were American. To me this album put us all on the same level - it made me relate to everything y'all were going through as we in this country were going through it too.

I never knew any black or even Asian people as a child aside from relatives. I was surrounded by white people as I went to a private school and most Asians couldn't afford the fees. I was blessed to receive a great education but the way the other kids looked at and treated me always hurt. I felt so ignored, so isolated, alone, confused and most definitely hurt. I NEVER spoke in class. Never. During register when my name was called out I would stay silent. I never contributed and my work suffered.

Then I heard this album (aged 5 I think). The sense of hope and belonging that this album gave me is extraordinary. It gave me a voice. It inspired me to want to be the best that I could possibly be. It made me feel comfortable in my skin. It made me so proud to be of a different colour in a way that listening to Martin Luther Kings ‘dream’ speech couldn’t.

I went into school that next day and I said ‘present’ when my name was called out. I’m not kidding – the whole class literally applauded me just by saying that one word and in that one moment all those moments of loneliness just disappeared. When the teacher asked who’d like to recite the alphabet today (someone would begrudgingly recite it everyday) I put my hand up. I told all of my class about how people come in different colors and that we are all the same quoting the line “in complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us.” I received a bunch of chocolates from my teacher for not only speaking in class and overcoming my shyness but also for giving the kids a new perspective of life.

On that day my confidence went through the roof. On that day I put my fears aside and focused so hard on my education that in later years the teacher would ask ME to teach the others how to do long division in maths. On that day my first ever friend was a white person and 17 years later we are still dear friends. That day truly changed my life and I owe it all to Janet Jacksons Rhythm Nation 1814.

BTW in your draft you need to add a 'to'

After establishing herself as one of the pop's newest musical forces with 1986's "Control", Janet Jackson set out to deal

• Upvote 2

Great write up austin ..from an african perspective sadly there is not much i can say on it. i may have been too young to remember if and when rhythm nation had an impact here

but the album that made waves all over this continent was The velvet rope .

Also i read the second draft..is there a word limit..its felt awfully short..im sure we can squeeze some more juice into the body..can we talk about the impact of that album on todays society ..pop culture ..influence .how it set a trend that many great musical acts followed .etc A very fast reader i am..i literally glanced over it in 30seconds..we need it a tad bit longer if that possible

Okay, got the PM and what you have so far is fantastic, truly. If there's anything I can add as an international fan of RN1814 it's that the message of hope and uniformity actually crossed oceans. She made a pledge to rid the world of colour lines, not just America. I didn't grow up around African Americans, I grew up around indigenous Australians who fought (and still fight) a similar battle to this day. My best friend as a child was an Aboriginal girl named Chantelle, and we bonded over Janet Jackson in the second grade. Not just Janet, but specifically RN1814. The music, the lyrics, the dance, the message. Nearly a decade after becoming fast friends we attended TVR tour together and after catching up with her just a few months ago we both recalled it as one of life's highlights. As seven-year-olds, we didn't make a separation of colour, and we didn't know we were probably being talked about. It wasn't an issue, just as it shouldn't be. And best of all is we had a soundtrack through it all. We lived that uniformity.

:tear: Janet's impact knows no bounds.

Austin, the drafts look good. I hope they get the gist of what we're trying to do. And we have to use the two black girls who got an education due to Janhova's fourth scripture in the holy book. I think that should be enough to see her impact.

Great write up austin ..from an african perspective sadly there is not much i can say on it. i may have been too young to remember if and when rhythm nation had an impact here

but the album that made waves all over this continent was The velvet rope .

Also i read the second draft..is there a word limit..its felt awfully short..im sure we can squeeze some more juice into the body..can we talk about the impact of that album on todays society ..pop culture ..influence .how it set a trend that many great musical acts followed .etc A very fast reader i am..i literally glanced over it in 30seconds..we need it a tad bit longer if that possible

:shifty::excited::wub:

Austin, this is incredible. :tear: I'm so proud of you for this.

I don't know if this will be of help but: For me, RN1814 will always be a universal album. Its themes of social injustice, racism, personal empowerment and unity, do not just apply to Americans - they are applicable to every citizen inhabiting this planet. Irrespective of race and culture, these themes tap into our inner core and our desire to strive for something far more powerful and tangible than our mere existence.

Thank you. :tear:normal_19th_Annual_GLAAD_Media_Awards_April_26_2008_(121).jpg

The Library of Congress said there's no deadline per se, but we should get the submission in asap. So I'm thinking we could possibly have this done by the end of the week? :unsure: And since this didn't take long, I'm thinking we could do a submission for Control as well? :unsure: Also, they didn't really speak on the length, but in the criteria it does say to tell them as much about the album as possible. I just don't want it to be too lengthy. So maybe another paragraph? :unsure:

And I read your (international fans) stories, and I came up with something like this:

• Unbeknown to Jackson, her "Rhythm Nation" was of greater magnitude than presumed. The album's social commentary resonated overseas, painting the U.S. in a new light. No longer was the United States viewed as the world's utopia, but now a country with societal problems that mirrored those overseas. Jackson illustrated the U.S's vulnerability and allowed the world to identify with the U.S., letting us all know "In complete darkness, we are all the same", and that change was necessary in the pursuit of progress and harmony.

Draft.

Obviously needs work and stronger wording.

Right, Gil would pay one of use random bitches if we told him. Where's one of his kiss asses? :unsure:

FreeXone works directly with her team. So that would be best. And while we're at it, have FreeXone show Janet and her team the sales thread, and perhaps they'll take the hint. <_<

I know Gil has plenty of kiss asses. Most of them post on Xone (and will shade the hell out of him after they kiss his ass via twitter :rolleyes: ). :lol:

FreeXone is our guy then. :cheer:

It's on there. Janet-Journey also has it, but it's not up for download yet. I'm sure it's floating around on the net somewhere. It's just a matter of finding it. :sigh:

Cool...as long as it's good quality I'll just download it from janetmedia and remove the tag (again no shade to janetmedia -_- lol)

I got inspired when I was on my way to Target.

• Unbeknown to Jackson, her "Rhythm Nation" was of greater magnitude than presumed. The album's social commentary resonated overseas, painting the U.S. in a new light. No longer was the United States viewed as the world's utopia, but now a country with societal problems that mirrored those overseas. Jackson illustrated the U.S's vulnerability and allowed the world to identify with the U.S., letting us all know "In complete darkness, we are all the same", and that change was necessary in the pursuit of progress and harmony.

EDIT!

Unbeknown to Jackson, her "Rhythm Nation" challenged the picturesque impression of America painted by the media. The album's social commentary changed world view of America from the great society, to a country with societal problems that mirrored their own. By highlighting America's issues, Jackson's goal of illustrating that "In complete darkness, we are all the same", had been fulfilled.

:unsure:

I know Gil has plenty of kiss asses. Most of them post on Xone (and will shade the hell out of him after they kiss his ass via twitter :rolleyes: ). :lol:

FreeXone is our guy then. :cheer:

Cool...as long as it's good quality I'll just download it from janetmedia and remove the tag (again no shade to janetmedia -_- lol)

They stay dragging Gil on J|X, as they should. He deserves it. -_-

The one on Janet-Journey doesn't have the tags. :thumbup: But they don't have the whole thing up yet. IDK what's taking them so long. :umm:

I got inspired when I was on my way to Target.

EDIT!

• Unbeknown to Jackson, her "Rhythm Nation" challenged the picturesque impression of America painted by the media. The album's social commentary changed world view of America from the great society, to a country with societal problems that mirrored their own. By highlighting America's issues, Jackson's goal of illustrating that "In complete darkness, we are all the same", had been fulfilled.

:unsure:

I like both....I suppose the second one is more concise and to the point. lol

They stay dragging Gil on J|X, as they should. He deserves it. -_-

The one on Janet-Journey doesn't have the tags. :thumbup: But they don't have the whole thing up yet. IDK what's taking them so long. :umm:

No he doesn't. :rolleyes:

Send me a link to the one on Janet-Journey. I tried to find it but didn't see it. I can possibly rip it even though they don't have it available for download.

By the way, I think you should post the global sales of RN not just the USA.

Another mini point is that the last paragraph talking about RNs global success showing that america wasn't a utopia could be taken the wrong way, like Janet shone a light on Americas problems to the rest of the world.....some very patriotic people might not like that. Also it isn't true, the world knew and knows of Americas social and racism problems, civil rights, segregation etc.

I think you should focus on unity - that RN called for disenfranchised people from all over the world to come together and stand up against injustice etc etc :)

Apart from that I thing it's fantastic!!!!

I like both....I suppose the second one is more concise and to the point. lol

No he doesn't. :rolleyes:

Send me a link to the one on Janet-Journey. I tried to find it but didn't see it. I can possibly rip it even though they don't have it available for download.

The second has better wording and is stronger. -_-

He does. :coffee:

I think it's Janet-Journey.com. But they don't have the RN1814 era videos up yet. You could try going on the Internet Archive and getting it that way.

By the way, I think you should post the global sales of RN not just the USA.

Another mini point is that the last paragraph talking about RNs global success showing that america wasn't a utopia could be taken the wrong way, like Janet shone a light on Americas problems to the rest of the world.....some very patriotic people might not like that. Also it isn't true, the world knew and knows of Americas social and racism problems, civil rights, segregation etc.

I think you should focus on unity - that RN called for disenfranchised people from all over the world to come together and stand up against injustice etc etc :)

Apart from that I thing it's fantastic!!!!

I did edits on the third page. I have an idea of what I'm gonna write for the success part of the album. I think it should go back in.

Suggestions for a better wording?

Draft three.

Recording Artist: Janet Jackson

Title: (Janet Jackson's) Rhythm Nation 1814

Released: September 18, 1989

Record Label: A&M Records (presently: Interscope Records)

• After establishing herself as one of the pop's newest musical forces with 1986's Control, Janet Jackson set out to deal with a troubled world in a positive way. A 23 year-old woman diminutive in stature, but a voice the size of Texas captured the hearts and minds of Americans with the release of 1989's "Rhythm Nation 1814". In a country where cries for help have fallen upon deaf ears, and the need for help has only been seen by the blind eye, "Rhythm Nation 1814" is the voice for the forgotten. Jackson's album takes listeners on a journey through the harsh reality of poverty, homelessness, violence, drugs, and hunger.

Jackson opens with the political statement "Rhythm Nation", a song calling for unity and an end to racism. She is relentless in her pursuit as she belts, "It's time to give a damn let's work together!" The journey continues with the disturbing "State of the World", chronicling teenage pregnancy and homelessness, "The Knowledge", a song solely responsible for encouraging high school dropouts Kia and Keisha Porter to finish school (coincidentally 1814 being the year the first women's college was founded), and "Livin' In A World (They Didn't Make)", which decries the reality of children being exposed to violence. Short but poignant, the interludes, ranging from five to thirty seconds, operate as segues between songs, tying them together and reinforcing the message of the album. Contrastingly, Jackson balances the album with the progressive tracks. "Love Will Never Do (Without You)" serves as a statement of interracial harmony and color blindness. "Alright" analyzes the benefit of interpersonal relationships, while "Escapade" finds Jackson enjoying life where "we'll make the rules up as we go along, and break them all, if we're not having fun", and "Black Cat" cautioning youth against drug use.

Francis Scott Key penned the national anthem on September 14, 1814. The same week 175 years later, a new anthem was released, "Rhythm Nation 1814". Janet Jackson grabbed America's attention by combining social issues with a contemporary music sound that was strong both musically and lyrically, a trend that continues to manifest itself in today's popular music. The album was an unprecedented success - over a staggering 14 million copies sold, several Billboard chart records, a record breaking number of awards, and a level of success in which critics believe Jackson's success was rivaling that of older brother Michael's. Despite the album's stratospheric success, "Rhythm Nation 1814" is a call to action, a political statement, and a moment in music. The album's social commentary challenged disenfranchised people from all over the world to come together and stand up against injustice. By confronting America's issues, Jackson's goal of illustrating that "In complete darkness, we are all the same", had been fulfilled. The world could identify with America as an evolving work in progress with societal problems that mirrored their own. The cultural and historical significance of "Rhythm Nation 1814", an album so powerful that it brought former President George H. W. Bush to one of Jackson's live shows, is immeasurable. Continuing to serve as thread in the social fabric of America, "Rhythm Nation 1814" remains a moment in history as one of your own inductees, Stevie Wonder, has named this album as the greatest pop album in history.

Voice of the Forgotten works for me. Or maybe Voice of the Silenced if you wanna go to that type of route.I will say it is slightly awkward, in the last paragraph, to phrase it "threatining Michael's success". I'd say maybe "rivaling" or "approaching the same level as". It sounds less competition-bred.

Also, where is the bit about international fans going? :lol:

I still love this very much :thumbup:

Voice of the Forgotten works for me. Or maybe Voice of the Silenced if you wanna go to that type of route.I will say it is slightly awkward, in the last paragraph, to phrase it "threatining Michael's success". I'd say maybe "rivaling" or "approaching the same level as". It sounds less competition-bred.

Also, where is the bit about international fans going? :lol:

I still love this very much :thumbup:

I made a few edits.

The part about the international fans Paul pretty much summed up, I put it in the last paragraph. But reading it, it'll probably have to be expanded.