"is there anything wrong with me wanting to explore your uncharted territory"

LyricalLesson

This song is frustrating me. I know how I want it to sound, but something's just not working. It sounds really good acappella, but as soon as I drop the beat under it, it just sounds...off. Listen to it, and let me know what I can do to improve it, because I've grown attached to the concept and I really don't want to throw it away.

L.J. Blaze - Your Ocean

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/109481/L.J.%20Blaze%20-%20Your%20Ocean

It's times like these I wish I knew more about song composition. It sounds great to me, but there's also something I can't quite put my finger on. Of course you'll be a lot more critical because it's your own work.

Exactly...I struggled with my decision to even post it on the board because I'm very critical of anything I'm attached to -- and this is not a recording that I'm confident in. there is definitely something off.

The composition aspect of music is honestly the most difficult piece...sometimes I get lucky, and what I envision in my mind gets instantly fleshed out on wax. But more often than not, I get stuck and can't move on because I don't want to get complacent with sub par material. If it doesn't sound the way I want, I get frustrated and temporarily quit, which completely halts any progress I want to make with this project. It sucks writing, recording, arranging, composing everything on my own, I'm getting better but it's not happening quick enough. Now I realize why artists have everybody and their mama involved in the behind the scenes production of their albums, it is a LOT of work.

Exactly...I struggled with my decision to even post it on the board because I'm very critical of anything I'm attached to -- and this is not a recording that I'm confident in. there is definitely something off.

The composition aspect of music is honestly the most difficult piece...sometimes I get lucky, and what I envision in my mind gets instantly fleshed out on wax. But more often than not, I get stuck and can't move on because I don't want to get complacent with sub par material. If it doesn't sound the way I want, I get frustrated and temporarily quit, which completely halts any progress I want to make with this project. It sucks writing, recording, arranging, composing everything on my own, I'm getting better but it's not happening quick enough. Now I realize why artists have everybody and their mama involved in the behind the scenes production of their albums, it is a LOT of work.

I think it's great that you want so much authenticity in your work, you sound like a perfectionist. Have you thought about possibly inviting others into the process?

I think it's great that you want so much authenticity in your work, you sound like a perfectionist. Have you thought about possibly inviting others into the process?

Thanks TE -- I definitely do strive for authenticity. And unfortunately, I am a perfectionist...which could potentially be great thing -- but in this demo stage I need to realize that nothing I do is going to be perfect...I want everything to come close though ;)

I live in Spokane, WA, more than likely one of the least musically inclined cities in the world :lol: I'm exaggerating a little bit, but it's very hard trying to find anyone who's as into music as I am. I honestly want to pursue music, so I plan on moving to NY to see what I can do with what I've got. I know there are thousands of like-minded individuals there, maybe my musical weakness is their musical strength? :thumbup:

Archived