Ciara Discusses Low Album Sales

DJ Y2K Malone™

With her new album, ‘Basic Instinct’, on course to sell an underwhelming 35-40k in its 1st week, Ciara has ironically addressed the issue of low album sales with the Associated Press. Ciara denounced the importance of record sales, claiming that they are “becoming smaller fraction of branding”.

AP: How do you feel when people say that your star as singer has fallen?

Ciara: Even though my last album didn’t do as well as my previous ones, I was still able to go out and make money and tour. Every day is not always the perfect day. Artists that I have loved and admired, who have had a long career, have not had every record or song or video that was always the right choice.

AP: With your previous album not selling well, are you concerned about what type of numbers you put up for “Basic Instinct”?

Ciara: Selling records are becoming smaller fraction of branding and building a long-lasting career. You can sell a lot of records, but can you tour. You can sell records, but where does it go beyond that? That’s a part of building a brand for yourself.

AP: So at this point of your career, going on tour has bigger precedence over album sales?

Ciara: Absolutely. If you can walk away from your career and are successful touring, you’ll always be straight. Artists like Madonna have been doing it for years. She may put out one single, do a tour and gross over $200 million.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101216/ap_en_mu/us_music_q_a_ciara

While album sales in the year 2010 are far less impressive than they once were, labels still focus on the bottom line. Moreover, even if that wasn’t true, for labels to reap substantial profits from a tour the artist would have to be headlining at sold out venues (medium to arena-sized) which Ciara isn’t known for doing.

I understand her thinking but Ciara simply isn’t on the level of Madonna or Britney Spears (for whom she served as an opening act during the ‘Circus’ tour) who make enough money to satisfy their labels. In other words, she isn’t a big enough artist to be making these claims.

This ‘Basic Instinct’ era is truly a commercial disaster. :coffee:

See, this is where she needs to be knocked up beside the head. Magdalene can go on tour because she has an extensive musical catalogue..and she still did close to 300K opening first week for "Stale Hard Candy". She doesn't have the luxury. And when is she gonna headline her own tour? I'll wait, but I think my grandchildren's grandchildren will be here for that answer. :coffee:

except that she is not one of those artist who can just tour all the damn time...she needs the material to be good in order for people to come see her perform it...she has NO core audience, NONE! artists like Tank, who is projected to sell more than her, don't have big commercial success, but they have an RnB crowd that will go out and see them perform...I can't tell you how many of these RnB singers who don't have big commercial success perform to a full house night after night at places like House of Blues etc...it's not exactly an arena, but they do it consistently and they have a devoted audience...there is always an RnB singer performing somewhere in NYC...Ciara first needs an audience before she can bank on touring...I like Ciara and I think she has potential, but she and her people need to cut the bullshit...either she and everyone around her are just fuckin lazy, or they are living a delusional existence if they think Ciara's record sales doesn't matter...it matters because she is a commercial artist

Ciara's problem is she reached her talent peak with probally "Promise", and she doesn't understand what it means to make a good song. All her songs sound the same, her image is the same, and she doesn't have a point of view.

Rihanna, for instance, understands how important keeping your image and sound fresh is. She always does things a little different, and is bold about everything.

P!nk writes from the heart, understands melodies, and emotion, and has thus built a loyal fan base cause they see themselves in her.

Beyonce is simply to talented and beautiful and powerful to be denied. She also pushes that sassy feminist thing more than any Tyler Perry movie.

Ciara has none of those things. She makes background music for clubs and not music fans can relate to. And she never did make music fans could relate to. She was something new and fun to look at with her dancing and the ahole crunk thing, and when we got bored with it, we stopped paying attention.

• Upvote 2

See, this is where she needs to be knocked up beside the head. Magdalene can go on tour because she has an extensive musical catalogue..and she still did close to 300K opening first week for "Stale Hard Candy". She doesn't have the luxury. And when is she gonna headline her own tour? I'll wait, but I think my grandchildren's grandchildren will be here for that answer. :coffee:

She can do a club tour.

Ciara's problem is she reached her talent peak with probally "Promise", and she doesn't understand what it means to make a good song. All her songs sound the same, her image is the same, and she doesn't have a point of view.

Rihanna, for instance, understands how important keeping your image and sound fresh is. She always does things a little different, and is bold about everything.

P!nk writes from the heart, understands melodies, and emotion, and has thus built a loyal fan base cause they see themselves in her.

Beyonce is simply to talented and beautiful and powerful to be denied. She also pushes that sassy feminist thing more than any Tyler Perry movie.

Ciara has none of those things. She makes background music for clubs and not music fans can relate to. And she never did make music fans could relate to. She was something new and fun to look at with her dancing and the ahole crunk thing, and when we got bored with it, we stopped paying attention.

You really hit then nail on the head with this post :blush:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

except that she is not one of those artist who can just tour all the damn time...she needs the material to be good in order for people to come see her perform it...she has NO core audience, NONE! artists like Tank, who is projected to sell more than her, don't have big commercial success, but they have an RnB crowd that will go out and see them perform...I can't tell you how many of these RnB singers who don't have big commercial success perform to a full house night after night at places like House of Blues etc...it's not exactly an arena, but they do it consistently and they have a devoted audience...there is always an RnB singer performing somewhere in NYC...Ciara first needs an audience before she can bank on touring...I like Ciara and I think she has potential, but she and her people need to cut the bullshit...either she and everyone around her are just fuckin lazy, or they are living a delusional existence if they think Ciara's record sales doesn't matter...it matters because she is a commercial artist

Exactly. She has no core audience. She can't sing good enough for the R&B crowd to really enjoy, and she doesn't connect enough with the pop or hip hop crowd. Erykah Badu doesn't sell like that but if she went on tour right now she sell outt the venue. Hell, even the Jonar Morea or whatever check could sell a venue cause people want talent in R&B. Whats next for her is Lil Mama's job on America's got talent.

Some girls career just reach an end. Ciara and Ashanti don't even have the talent like even a Monica to stage even a R&B comeback.

+1

"I can still tour and make money"

Bitch ANY artist can tour and make money..whats her point? She's speaking as if she has 1 up over the artists who sell. :blink:

Her silly analogy doesnt apply to the ISSUE at hand AT ALL. :mellow:

AND the KICKER IS..BITCH,YOU AINT EVEN HEADLINING UR OWN SHIT!!

please sit.the.fuck.DOOOOOOOWN

Eveytime Ciara is asked about her arrival at Flopson Town..her angles always seem to change.

This time she's using the "but I can still tour" angle

The last project she used "but its about overall sales..not immediate str8 out the gate sales.." (which da overall sales still ended up being a flop)

She has an excuse each time ....girl stick with ONE excuse,please.

this might be the shortest era i have seen 3 days

She also has no background story or scandal. The Chris Brown beat down was the best thing to happen to Rihanna cause it made her interesting, and she went outside the box with "Rated R", and was able to seem daring and risky, and then bring it back with another pop album of great pop songs.

Aaliyah had the R. Kelly scandal, Britney had break downs, a bald head and a bunch of craziness going on, Janet was a Jackson, Married at a young age, then married secretly, and Beyonce had her Destiny's Child drama...P!nk had to take control of her career, etc.

Girls like Ciara are just not that interesting