Mya vs Ciara: Who was all around the bigger star?

JoeJoe

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better singer?

2. 2. Who was the better dancer?

3. 3. Who was better all around?

Who said Case of the Ex was a #1? I said I thought it was because it was played and supported like it was #1, get it right. I'd Say It's all About Me, Case of the Ex, and My Love is like Woo is enough to say they were on the same level, hell even with Fallen, even tho it didnt do much of anything on the charts, MTV was still all over her that era. Mya was all over MTV all the time, the same way Ciara was all over BET all the time. And Mya did have a It girl moment with Lady marmalade, which tho was ofcourse was bigger because of the other 3 names, she was still attached and its still a #1 in her book (and Grammy win)

Hell I got just of the My Love is like Woo video as I did of goodies (even though I think MLILW is a better song and video, thats me)

How do those songs make her on the same level as Ciara? They're ALL from different era for goodness sake. She has NOT had an era like GOODIES. Point BLANK. Why is it so hard to say Mya's more talented but Ciara was the BIGGER star overall?

MTV was all over what era?? I know you aint talking about the Moodring era? Um..that was when it was ALL ABOUT BEYONCE. Beyonce made you forget Ashanti,Monica and Mya even had albums out and to make matters worse Mya is the one who came in LAST place of the 4 that year as far as sales...so ....

And if Lady Marmalade is the BEST you all can do to act like that really meant something..then Imma pray for you all because her career POST Marmalade was flopsville.Her riding on the coattails of those other ladies in the song is hardly an achievement anyway.

How do those songs make her on the same level as Ciara? They're ALL from different era for goodness sake. She has NOT had an era like GOODIES. Point BLANK. Why is it so hard to say Mya's more talented but Ciara was the BIGGER star overall?

MTV was all over what era?? I know you aint talking about the Moodring era? Um..that was when it was ALL ABOUT BEYONCE. Beyonce made you forget Ashanti,Monica and Mya even had albums out and to make matters worse Mya is the one who came in LAST place of the 4 that year as far as sales...so ....

And if Lady Marmalade is the BEST you all can do to act like that really meant something..then Imma pray for you all because her career POST Marmalade was flopsville.Her riding on the coattails of those other ladies in the song is hardly an achievement anyway.

:lmao: Your talking in terms of success, Im talking popularity wise, most of the songs I listed weren't even top 10's but she was all over MTV like they were #1's, for 2 eras MTV had her like that. Mya's popularity was strong for a good few years, not for just 1 era, the same as Ciara, her popularity was strong for a good few years.

MTV was all over Mya during the Dangerously In Love era, never said as much or more than Bey, but they were promoting My Love Is Like Woo very hard that era, I remember it very well. MTV was promoting Mya all over with Fear of Flying and Moodring. And who said JACK about album Sales? She was still all over MTV, radio and magazines, she could've sold 2 albums that era and she was still being promoted and she was still popular. And yea Bey was the biggest thing on MTV that era, but Mya was closser behind her than Ashanti & Monica.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm it did mean something....she was still apart of the song and opened it and sang WITH them....and again her sales were in flopsville post the song, but her popularity wasnt.

Your poll questions were basically asking who's more talented but the title of the thread said who's the bigger star.

You do know there's a difference right? Just because you're more talented doesnt mean you were the bigger star. :lmao:

Hence to why Mya is winning in the polls as far as talent but ppl are responding that Ciara was OVERALL bigger.

Yes I know exactly what it means which is why I posted all three questions :mellow: That still don't mean it had to be taken in the direction it was taken. Hell I like them both about the same which ain't very much. I even voted for Ciara in one of the categories

:lmao: Your talking in terms of success, Im talking popularity wise, most of the songs I listed weren't even top 10's but she was all over MTV like they were #1's, for 2 eras MTV had her like that. Mya's popularity was strong for a good few years, not for just 1 era, the same as Ciara, her popularity was strong for a good few years.

MTV was all over Mya during the Dangerously In Love era, never said as much or more than Bey, but they were promoting My Love Is Like Woo very hard that era, I remember it very well. MTV was promoting Mya all over with Fear of Flying and Moodring. And who said JACK about album Sales? She was still all over MTV, radio and magazines, she could've sold 2 albums that era and she was still being promoted and she was still popular. And yea Bey was the biggest thing on MTV that era, but Mya was closser behind her than Ashanti & Monica.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm it did mean something....she was still apart of the song and opened it and sang WITH them....and again her sales were in flopsville post the song, but her popularity wasnt.

Mya was being promoted like ANY other artist at that time, so how was that era a POPULAR moment for her? Back then MTV ran videos non stop to where EVERYONE was in heavy rotation..it wasnt like some hard achievement. The fact that the charts and the sales dont support her "popularity" you claim she had on MTV and magazines should tell you something. Nothing was happeing for her that wasnt happening for OTHER artists is my point. So that still does not qualify her as being no "IT" girl. "It" bitches have been Lauryn Hill,Alicia,Ashanti,Beyonce,Gaga,and even Ciara (but on a lower scale) ..bitches who OWNED that year they were out. Mya has NEVER had that moment period. Mya had a decent run..She had 2 plat albums and the rest flopped. Ciara had 2 successful albums..the rest flopped but Ciara Era were BIGGER than both of Mya's.

You say Mya was still popular after Marmalade because MTV played Fallen and Like Whoa? Is that ALL that qualifies her as being "popular" to you? MTV's job is to play videos..thats what they did...that was not a feat for Mya at all.

Yes I know exactly what it means which is why I posted all three questions :mellow:That still don't mean it had to be taken in the direction it was taken. Hell I like them both about the same which ain't very much. I even voted for Ciara in one of the categories

Where did you think it was gonna go,Joe? :huh: You act like ppl are in here talking about slicing each others throats or something. We're just debating like usual.

Where did you think it was gonna go,Joe? :huh: You act like ppl are in here talking about slicing each others throats or something. We're just debating like usual.

Maybe I shouldn't of said "bigger star" cause of course C-error is. I almost died when someone said Ciara sings better than Mya

Maybe I shouldn't of said "bigger star" cause of course C-error is. I almost died when someone said Ciara sings better than Mya

No the hell she did NOT ruin one of my all time favorite Christmas songs :mellow: Plus the background was fucking HORRIBLE. *listens to J5 version to erase this from my memory*

Mya was being promoted like ANY other artist at that time, so how was that era a POPULAR moment for her? Back then MTV ran videos non stop to where EVERYONE was in heavy rotation..it wasnt like some hard achievement. The fact that the charts and the sales dont support her "popularity" you claim she had on MTV and magazines should tell you something. Nothing was happeing for her that wasnt happening for OTHER artists is my point. So that still does not qualify her as being no "IT" girl. "It" bitches have been Lauryn Hill,Alicia,Ashanti,Beyonce,Gaga,and even Ciara (but on a lower scale) ..bitches who OWNED that year they were out. Mya has NEVER had that moment period. Mya had a decent run..She had 2 plat albums and the rest flopped. Ciara had 2 successful albums..the rest flopped but Ciara Era were BIGGER than both of Mya's.

You say Mya was still popular after Marmalade because MTV played Fallen and Like Whoa? Is that ALL that qualifies her as being "popular" to you? MTV's job is to play videos..thats what they did...that was not a feat for Mya at all.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: If Popularity was based on album sales Janet would be higher on the most successful female entertainers in the world. Sorry but popularity in the music industry dosent even have to just be about the music, it was her. Her videos were always played, she had behind the scenes/the making of specials, alot of interviews and MTV news. Lets not with the "it was MTV's Job" shit, there was alot of black singers out at that time that I didnt see on MTV half as much as Mya was on there (for interivews, behind the scenes/making ofs, and the videos) so CLEARLY it was about popularity, and Mya was and they helped her get there.

Oh and how can I forget about this song that got on ma damn nerves (cause of all the radio and MTV play), I love it now tho

But it's supposed to be Give LOVE on Christmas Day...not Give Me a Migraine :cry:

I know sis, some people have a sick sense of humor, that was a depressing ass christmas for the children cause of Cici, bet Santa was just like "fuck it, they can wait till next year". Wooo NEVER have I heard that song sung so damn flat, off tone and lifeless, damn. She made Mya sound AMAZING with that 1 performance

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: If Popularity was based on album sales Janet would be higher on the most successful female entertainers in the world. Sorry but popularity in the music industry dosent even have to just be about the music, it was her. Her videos were always played, she had behind the scenes/the making of specials, alot of interviews and MTV news. Lets not with the "it was MTV's Job" shit, there was alot of black singers out at that time that I didnt see on MTV half as much as Mya was on there (for interivews, behind the scenes/making ofs, and the videos) so CLEARLY it was about popularity, and Mya was and they helped her get there.

I dont know what tv programming you were watching but Mya was not plastered across my screen they way you're making her sound during the Moodring era. That sounds more like the DIL era you're describing... :lol: Yes,Mya had two videos in heavy rotation but so did ALOT of other ppl. I dont see how that makes her "popular"..so was EVERYONE else in that case..so how does Mya standout since you are gunning for her in this argument?

I dont know what tv programming you were watching but Mya was not plastered across my screen they way you're making her sound during the Moodring era. That sounds more like the DIL era you're describing... :lol: Yes,Mya had two videos in heavy rotation but so did ALOT of other ppl. I dont see how that makes her "popular"..so was EVERYONE else in that case..so how does Mya standout since you are gunning for her in this argument?

Yea well she was,and it still wasnt as much as during the Fear of flying era (she was all over MTV in that time, her Aaliyah & Destiny's Child were the MTV black girls of 2000). Key word you used "HEAVY", they dont do heavy for bitches that arent popular. I saw her video on TRL more than I saw any of Monica's between 03-04 or Ashanti. The only reason Im "gunning" for her is because the bitch was popular, we were talking about her stuff in school, I remember her on the magazine covers, and alll the MTV stuff, Im gunning for her againt the idea that she was pretty much like Deborah Cox

Yea well she was,and it still wasnt as much as during the Fear of flying era (she was all over MTV in that time, her Aaliyah & Destiny's Child were the MTV black girls of 2000). Key word you used "HEAVY", they dont do heavy for bitches that arent popular. I saw her video on TRL more than I saw any of Monica's between 03-04 or Ashanti. The only reason Im "gunning" for her is because the bitch was popular, we were talking about her stuff in school, I remember her on the magazine covers, and alll the MTV stuff, Im gunning for her againt the idea that she was pretty much like Deborah Cox

I dunno..when I think of "popular". I think of exposure plus sales playing factor in what's "IN". Promotion on MTV or BET and magazine is typical protocol for promoting an artist. It was EASIER back then then it is now to be get exposure. Nowadayz you have to be one of the TOP bitches to get coverage. All Im saying is Ciara had the exposure/coverage Mya had PLUS the sales..which is why I say she was the bigger star.

I dunno..when I think of "popular". I think of exposure plus sales playing factor in what's "IN". Promotion on MTV or BET and magazine is typical protocol for promoting an artist. It was EASIER back then then it is now to be get exposure. Nowadayz you have to be one of the TOP bitches to get coverage. All Im saying is Ciara had the exposure/coverage Mya had PLUS the sales..which is why I say she was the bigger star.

Well thats how you see popularity, it has NOTHING to do with sales from what I see (and in general in the industry), for me your popular when your getting on my nerves (like you or not) and in her case she hit that more than 3 times. I agree it was easier back then, but clearly not for everybody, its not that she was on MTV (THAT was easy back then) or BET, or the magazines, it was how many times, and from what I saw and remember it was alot. I will agree that if you include sales in the mix it does take Ciara higher, but without it in the conversation, from where I sit their popularity heights were about equal

Well thats how you see popularity, it has NOTHING to do with sales from what I see (and in general in the industry), for me your popular when your getting on my nerves (like you or not) and in her case she hit that more than 3 times. I agree it was easier back then, but clearly not for everybody, its not that she was on MTV (THAT was easy back then) or BET, or the magazines, it was how many times, and from what I saw and remember it was alot. I will agree that if you include sales in the mix it does take Ciara higher, but without it in the conversation, from where I sit their popularity heights were about equal

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Finally someone understand what I meant in this thread!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

• Upvote 1

But thats ALL we need considering we have to FACTOR in EVERYTHING to determine who was the BIGGER star. I mean..that was the question asked for this thread.