TMZ Reporting that Whitney Died

Utopia

I don't believe it... Whitney might have lived an extravagant life and took care of quite a few people (family and friends), but I doubt she was flat broke or taking advances. I mean, she had JUST completed a tour not to long ago. :mellow:

I willing to bet this is the same "source" that compared Whitney's finances to Mariah's a few weeks back...for whatever inane reason.

Complete BS.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe it... Whitney might have lived an extravagant life and took care of quite a few people (family and friends), but I doubt she was flat broke or taking advances. I mean, she had JUST completed a tour not to long ago. :mellow:

I willing to bet this is the same "source" that compared Whitney's finances to Mariah's a few weeks back...for whatever inane reason.

Complete BS.

Im not saying if its true or not but tbh this really isnt the FIRST time I'm hearing of her living off of advances. I've heard this same thing about her for years.

Complete BS.

Well that contract she had was an advance and we know she didn't sell enuff to cover it.

I'm sure most of the money for that tour went to promoters and paying the label back..

Im not saying if its true or not but tbh this really isnt the FIRST time I'm hearing of her living off of advances. I've heard this same thing about her for years.

Perhaps, it's true. The first time I heard anything like that was that article I just mentioned with the Mariah reference...which is why I discounted it, because it came off very "stan wars", if you know what I mean. lol

Wait, didn't she sign a $100 million dollar contract years ago? She would obviously be getting advances from that deal.... I forget the details, but Janet's deal was similar, I believe. Janet got so much upfront for each album she delivered under that $80 million deal. I want to say it was like $20 million advance on each album, but I know that's ALOT of money upfront, and I'm not quite sure where I got that from. lol

If Whitney's contract was anything like that, she was getting sizable advances, but that doesn't necessarily mean she was broke. It does mean the label does in fact have a lot to recoup before her estate receives money.

That isn't the only way her estate can make money though, so Bobbi Kris will be just fine financially.

This is true. I still don't believe she was flat broke as this "source" claims...perhaps I'm wrong though. -_-

The tour was the 34th highest-earning of 2010, grossing over $36 million dollars worldwide.[2]

Out of that she probably took home around 10 to 15 million..

Perhaps, it's true. The first time I heard anything like that was that article I just mentioned with the Mariah reference...which is why I discounted it, because it came off very "stan wars", if you know what I mean. lol

Wait, didn't she sign a $100 million dollar contract years ago? She would obviously be getting advances from that deal.... I forget the details, but Janet's deal was similar, I believe. Janet got so much upfront for each album she delivered under that $80 million deal. I want to say it was like $20 million advance on each album, but I know that's ALOT of money upfront, and I'm not quite sure where I got that from. lol

If Whitney's contract was anything like that, she was getting sizable advances, but that doesn't necessarily mean she was broke. It does mean the label does in fact have a lot to recoup before her estate receives money.

That isn't the only way her estate can make money though, so Bobbi Kris will be just fine financially.

The deal came in 2001 and it was for six albums ..she didnt fulfill her obligations...so the label is out money. Thats probably why she owes them. :unsure: Not to mention its not like her 2000s albums sold that well ...so...

The tour was the 34th highest-earning of 2010, grossing over $36 million dollars worldwide.[2]

Out of that she probably took home around 10 to 15 million..

I'm not sure how extravagant Whitney's life was (I do know she was generous and supported alot of people), but if she took home that amount, it should have been enough to make her solvent financially...if there were trouble. I don't know, it just doesn't sound right or ring true to me (the article, that is lol).

The deal came in 2001 and it was for six albums ..she didnt fulfill her obligations...so the label is out money. Thats probably why she owes them. :unsure: Not to mention its not like her 2000s albums sold that well ...so...

I forgot how the big deals that Whitney, Michael, Janet, Mariah, PRESSEDonna signed during that time worked....so I looked it up. lol

http://www.svs.com/rem/news/wb.txt

That is REM's deal from 96 ( I forgot they signed such a deal, lol)

Anyway:

"Representatives for R.E.M. and Warner refused to discuss the pact. But

sources said the band will be paid a $10-million signing bonus plus a

$20-million royalty advance on future sales of its six-album Warner catalog.

The band is also guaranteed an estimated $10-million advance per album plus a

blue-chip 24% royalty on the retail price of each record sold--about $2.50

per record."

So if Whitney's deal looked anything like this...she did receive TREMENDOUS advances, but it was because of the really cushy deal she was set up with. Point being, even though she received ALOT of money and probably owes the label alot...she wasn't getting advances because she was broke.

I still say that whole article is BS.

Whitney Houston Family Divided Over Burial

There's a rift in Whitney Houston's family over where she should be laid to rest ... TMZ has learned.

Family sources tell us ... Dionne Warwick, Whitney's cousin, and Cissy Houston, Whitney's mom, both want the burial to take place in Atlanta. They believe Atlanta is the place Whitney enjoyed the most and had the fondest memories.

But the rest of the family wants Whitney buried in Newark -- where she was born, and subsequently discovered at a local Baptist church

We're told Cissy's position is succinct: "Michael Jackson did not want to be buried in New Jersey, and Whitney did not want to be buried in New Jersey."

We're told Cissy and Dionne caved, after other family members convinced them New Jersey is where the world will remember her most.

It's unclear why they think the world will remember Whitney more in Newark than ATL.

No offense New Jersey.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/14/whitney-houston-burial-new-jersey-newark-atlanta/

There's a rift in Whitney Houston's family over where she should be laid to rest ... TMZ has learned.

Family sources tell us ... Dionne Warwick, Whitney's cousin, and Cissy Houston, Whitney's mom, both want the burial to take place in Atlanta. They believe Atlanta is the place Whitney enjoyed the most and had the fondest memories.

But the rest of the family wants Whitney buried in Newark -- where she was born, and subsequently discovered at a local Baptist church

We're told Cissy's position is succinct: "Michael Jackson did not want to be buried in New Jersey, and Whitney did not want to be buried in New Jersey."

We're told Cissy and Dionne caved, after other family members convinced them New Jersey is where the world will remember her most.

It's unclear why they think the world will remember Whitney more in Newark than ATL.

No offense New Jersey.

Everyone knows she was from Newark.. I think they made the right choice.. Not sure why she doesn't have a Will with all that money...

No offense New Jersey.

Well if Whitney would have preferred Atlanta then she should be there. They didn't bury Michael in Gary. New York, either. They buried him in California. His dream place, in a way. Your first home isn't always best. Often times, it's where your dream took you that means more. But hey, as long as the place is beautiful and fit for a queen, then I don't have a complaint.

Oprah Will Honor Whitney Houston With 2-Hour OWN Tribute This Thursday

As part of a 2-hour tribute to the late singer titled Remembering Whitney: The Oprah Interview, Oprah Winfrey will re-broadcast her 2009 interview with Whitney Houston on Thursday on her cable channel OWN.

You may recall that long, candid interview with Oprah, which was really her last major interview, during which Whitney admitted to her drug use.

The 2-hour special, which will also include Oprah revitising her past moments with Whitney, will air this Thursday, the 16th, at at 9 pm ET on OWN.

Well if Whitney would have preferred Atlanta then she should be there. They didn't bury Michael in Gary. New York, either. They buried him in California. His dream place, in a way. Your first home isn't always best. Often times, it's where your dream took you that means more. But hey, as long as the place is beautiful and fit for a queen, then I don't have a complaint.

They sure as hell won't bury Madonna here in Michigan I bet ya that :filenails:

Whitney Houston consumed alcoholic beverages shortly before she died, and the mix of prescription drugs and booze could have produced the fatal result.

TMZ has obtained photos of the room where Whitney died, showing remnants of her final meal. We're told she ordered a hamburger, fries, a turkey sandwich and jalapenos. The picture also shows a Heineken can and an empty champagne glass. Sources say the glass had been filled with champagne.

The picture (below) was shot in the bathroom after Whitney's body was removed and shows a tray which contained the turkey sandwich and jalapenos. Family sources say Whitney ate the burger and fries and took the turkey sandwich and jalapenos into the bathroom where she planned on eating both items after her bath.

If you look closely you can see water on the bathroom floor.

5vrl1i.jpg

fbdxdg.jpg

I swear, all of this just doesn't seem necessary at all. All this coverage just seems so insulting. Let the woman keep her dignity

Jennifer Holliday on Whitney Houston's drug use: "She had started before she had met Bobby Brown"

As part of a live, hour-long tribute show dedicated entirely to the recent death of Whitney Houston, on Monday night Piers Morgan visited with several music insiders who spoke candidly about the late singer's life.

Amongst those joining Morgan was Jennifer Holliday, who revealed surprising insight into Houston's early days: "We were all around a lot of drugs," the grammy award winner told Morgan. "I hate to say that she had started before she had met Bobby Brown."

As Morgan pointed out, "it is a presumed assumption that the bad guy in all of this is Bobby Brown." But Holliday shared details from the legendary singer's rise to fame, all before her 1992 marriage to the R&B singer-songwriter:

"At that time, when Whitney had started and had become a star in the 80's, we were just around it all," admitted Holliday. "It had begun, we were around it."

Tune in to "Piers Morgan Tonight" at 9pm ET/PT as our tributes to Whitney Houston continue with LIVE interviews of Sharon Osbourne and Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds.

why wouldnt it? im sure all of our hearts our in the same place, and i dont think anyone was putting Brandy's feelings against her own daughters

I've seen alot of people saying this "Oh, I feel sorry for Brandy, she must be hurting" and I'm sure she is, but with no mention of family or her daughter, and when they do mention the family, it's always the latter. That's what I'm saying, people will always put first what's more important to them. It's natural. No shade towards Bu in anyway, it's just that I've noticed so many doing this on FB, twitter.

Chaka Khan Appalled Clive Davis Party Went Ahead

Chaka Khan is upset with the way the Clive Davis pre-Grammy party played out.

Just hours after Whitney Houston’s death was announced, Clive Davis’s annual pre-Grammy party went on as scheduled in the same hotel where Whitney was found dead. Seeing as though all of the guests were prepared to attend and rehearsals had already taken place, Clive decided to let the show go on, dedicating a moment of silence to the memory of Whitney. He also stated that she would have wanted the party to still go on. And while her body stayed in the room just three floors up while the party went on, most of the guests enjoyed themselves while others sat with a huge cloud of gloom hanging over their heads.

Chaka Khan believes Clive Davis should have cancelled the party altogether. During an interview with CNN’s Piers Morgan, she responded.

“I thought that was complete insanity. Knowing Whitney, I don’t believe she would have said, ‘The show must go on.’ She’s the kind of woman who would have said, ‘Stop everything! Uhn uhn. I’m not gonna be there.’ I don’t know what could motivate a person to have a party in a building where the person whose life he had influenced so enormously–and whose life had been affected by hers, [passed]. I don’t understand how that party went on.

On Clive letting the party go on as a tribute to Whitney

It would have been right if it was a true tribute. A truer, more honest tribute, in my opinion, would have been to call everybody together, let’s say a prayer, eat dinner and go home. I couldn’t get dressed. I was supposed to go to the party. I had just gotten off a plane from Miami at about 5:30. As soon as I hit the tamarack, I found out. I heard, and I couldn’t put on make-up. I couldn’t get dressed. I was paralyzed.”

Meanwhile, Gabrielle Union defended her decision to attend the event while chatting with IPower Richmond’s TT Torrez recently:

It was a tough night. I hope people understand that everyone is using the term “party,” and technically when you gather large groups of people in a space … I guess that’s the way of describing it, but I think that when you’re thinking of Hollywood award season party, this wasn’t the typical experience.

First of all, pretty much everyone  I know who went were in shock and very upset [...] I think what happened, at least with me and Sanaa [Lathan] is we were watching TV, and you start to see these reporters trash her. And in our community, she wasn’t negative. If anything, she was the most fun, inspiring, nice person in my eyes. She went out of her way to be nice, and she would take you aside and grab your face and say ‘Baby! I’m so proud of you.’ We were watching TV, and this one reporter in particular kept saying ‘it doesn’t surprise me to report,’ and he said it like 8 times [...] It was so irritating! So Puffy reached out to us and was like, ‘We have to go and say something different. There needs to be a better balanced view.’ So, we showed up, and it was very somber, it was very strange, but all of us just wanted to let people know out there that people will show up for Whitney Houston no matter what. We will speak kindly of her. We’re not going to let you trash her on a night where everyone could have just stayed home and mourned in their own way. People showed up and spoke so highly of her. So, I am glad that America and the world, her family and her friends and all of her fans got to hear the people in the entertainment community say kind things about her.

Archived