hear ye, hear ye...And now your President, will bless you all by telling you the top 10 most iconic dance routines in music history

King Baby

I'll address the list first, and your grammar later. :mellow:

First of all, get Britney off that list. People don't remember the routine, they remember the school uniform. Call me crazy, but I think 'Single Ladies' should be higher, and 'I Want You Back' should be lower. And how can you ignore 'YMCA'? Even the 'Macarena' :unsure:

I agree with the Britney.

Single Ladies might even need to be lower, it doesn't have the longevity that all the others have yet. It's iconic now because so many people made a parody of it, and it just happened.

And I Want You Back on the Ed Sullivan Show is like one of the most culturally defining performances ever, especially among African-Americans.

And YMCA and Macarena aren't really dance routines as they are dances. :lol:

I agree with the Britney.

Single Ladies might even need to be lower, it doesn't have the longevity that all the others have yet. It's iconic now because so many people made a parody of it, and it just happened.

And I Want You Back on the Ed Sullivan Show is like one of the most culturally defining performances ever, especially among African-Americans.

And YMCA and Macarena aren't really dance routines as they are dances. :lol:

Well, yeah, but 'Single Ladies' is over two years old now, which I know doesn't compare to the longevity of routines from the '80s, but it's lived on well past its prime and I still think it should be ranked higher because it's an actual routine instead of one defining move. If you ask me I say 'The Love You Save' is a more iconic routine than 'I Want You Back'. 'YMCA' and 'Macarena' are still routines.

Well, yeah, but 'Single Ladies' is over two years old now, which I know doesn't compare to the longevity of routines from the '80s, but it's lived on well past its prime and I still think it should be ranked higher because it's an actual routine instead of one defining move. If you ask me I say 'The Love You Save' is a more iconic routine than 'I Want You Back'. 'YMCA' and 'Macarena' are still routines.

Are you saying that some or all of :

1. Billie Jean live, Michael jackson

2. Thriller, Michael Jackson

3. Smooth Criminal, Michael Jackson

4. Rhytm Nation, Janet Jackson

5. I Want You back, Jackson 5

are one defining move? :blink:

And perhaps in Australia, but in America, definitely I Want You Back is more iconic, so it might just be a difference in locations. Even Michael on his 30th Anniversary took it back to perform the song just like they did on the Ed Sullivan show. :lol:

Are you saying that some or all of :

1. Billie Jean live, Michael jackson

2. Thriller, Michael Jackson

3. Smooth Criminal, Michael Jackson

4. Rhytm Nation, Janet Jackson

5. I Want You back, Jackson 5

are one defining move? :blink:

And perhaps in Australia, but in America, definitely I Want You Back is more iconic, so it might just be a difference in locations. Even Michael on his 30th Anniversary took it back to perform the song just like they did on the Ed Sullivan show. :lol:

'Billie Jean' and 'Smooth Criminal', absolutely. Take the respective highlight out of each and we are not left with an iconic routine. The imagery of both is fantastic, as are the dances themselves, but without the moonwalk and body lean they aren't even half as special. It's much of a muchness with the Jackson 5 performances, but I still think 'The Love You Save' had the sharper moves, and more memorable steps. I would say the intro to 'I Want You Back' is more iconic than the routine itself.

And if we were to include YMCA and Macarena then we would have to include Soulja's Boy's -- The Superman.

The fuck we would. :rolleyes:

'Billie Jean' and 'Smooth Criminal', absolutely. Take the respective highlight out of each and we are not left with an iconic routine. The imagery of both is fantastic, as are the dances themselves, but without the moonwalk and body lean they aren't even half as special. It's much of a muchness with the Jackson 5 performances, but I still think 'The Love You Save' had the sharper moves, and more memorable steps. I would say the intro to 'I Want You Back' is more iconic than the routine itself.

The fuck we would. :rolleyes:

It's iconic not because it's special, because be for real, what's special about Single Ladies? Gay guys have been doing those dances in clubs for years. It's iconic for what it represented and ushered in. Billie Jean was performed at Motown 25, capping, 25 years of excellence in music and performances that helped to define much of the working-class and African-American experience at that time. From the moment that Michael Jackson tilts his hat to go into the dance, people already know what song it was. It does not get much more iconic than that. :blink: And Smooth Criminal has to be one of the most intricate routines I've ever seen. It is also memorable because it ushers in this idea of this really long form video and what you can encompass within a video. Anyone can recognize the Smooth Criminal outfit.

And as far as LYS vs IWYB it's up to interpretation. you can't have a routine without a song though; so..

And, I would say that the Superman has far more reaching legacies and familiarity than Single Ladies.

It's iconic not because it's special, because be for real, what's special about Single Ladies? Gay guys have been doing those dances in clubs for years. It's iconic for what it represented and ushered in. Billie Jean was performed at Motown 25, capping, 25 years of excellence in music and performances that helped to define much of the working-class and African-American experience at that time. From the moment that Michael Jackson tilts his hat to go into the dance, people already know what song it was. It does not get much more iconic than that. :blink: And Smooth Criminal has to be one of the most intricate routines I've ever seen. It is also memorable because it ushers in this idea of this really long form video and what you can encompass within a video. Anyone can recognize the Smooth Criminal outfit.

And as far as LYS vs IWYB it's up to interpretation. you can't have a routine without a song though; so..

And, I would say that the Superman has far more reaching legacies and familiarity than Single Ladies.

It's iconic because of the moonwalk, just like it's special because of the moonwalk. Simple as that. Same goes with 'Smooth Criminal', the routine is brilliant and supremely intricate, of course, but all of that builds up to the body lean, and without it, it would not be held in the same regard today. I'm not discounting their impact because culturally they're two of the biggest moments in pop history, but we're discussing routines here, and without those two moves, they wouldn't be what they are. Would Michael's Motown 25 performance be as talked about nearly 30 years later if it weren't for the moonwalk? No way. But he still would have been representing those same working-class people had he performed it or not. Yeah, everyone recognizes that outfit - largely because of what that move did for the routine and for the video.

Superman over Single Ladies? That's just absurd. :lol:

It's iconic because of the moonwalk, just like it's special because of the moonwalk. Simple as that. Same goes with 'Smooth Criminal', the routine is brilliant and supremely intricate, of course, but all of that builds up to the body lean, and without it, it would not be held in the same regard today. I'm not discounting their impact because culturally they're two of the biggest moments in pop history, but we're discussing routines here, and without those two moves, they wouldn't be what they are. Would Michael's Motown 25 performance be as talked about nearly 30 years later if it weren't for the moonwalk? No way. But he still would have been representing those same working-class people had he performed it or not. Yeah, everyone recognizes that outfit - largely because of what that move did for the routine and for the video.

Superman over Single Ladies? That's just absurd. :lol:

So what makes a routine iconic? Because I'm still trying to figure out what makes Single Ladies iconic?

Even Oprah Winfrey lead her audience in the Superman dance. :lol: :lol:

So what makes a routine iconic? Because I'm still trying to figure out what makes Single Ladies iconic?

Even Oprah Winfrey lead her audience in the Superman dance. :lol: :lol:

When it has a stranglehold on every media outlet in all corners of the globe. Most people wouldn't even know the Superman by name.

That's nice. 'Single Ladies' inspired 100 women in leotards to re-create the routine in the middle of London. And that's just one example.