hear ye, hear ye...And now your President, will bless you all by telling you the top 10 most iconic dance routines in music history

King Baby

I think we first need to definite what an "iconic dance routine" is.

When I think iconic, I think something that's easily recognizable and/or associated with an artist. When you think Moonwalk, you think MJ. When you think military dance, it's Janet. You get the gist of what I'm saying. Michael and Janet should be top 5 by default considering the fact that they shit on everyone when it comes to dance.

I really don't think "Smooth Criminal" is iconic. I'd replace that with "Beat It". That is more iconic than anything MJ has done post-Thriller imo. The Macarena is a dance routine and should be up there, top 5 imo. I remember EVERYONE was doing it, literally; ages 0 - 80. There was even an entire baseball stadium doing it back in the day. And yes, YMCA should be thrown in there. :rolleyes: @ TE.

You could even throw MC Hammer's "Cant Touch This" dance somewhere in the lower ends of the top 10. You can definitely take Britney out. The only thing ppl remember about that video is the slutty Catholic school girl outfit and the RS cover. Keep "Vogue", it does slay.

I agree with Art, the only thing iconic about "Sangle Hoes" is the hand flip, hell even the President did it. As far as a dance routine, it's definitely top 10, but not top 5. It hasn't experienced longevity, and I agree with the person who said the gwarls have been doing that for years. If you were to show that routine to some j-setters in a marching band it wouldn't really stand out since they've been doing it for years. We'll see how it is 10 and 20 years from now...if ppl are emulating the steps or taking bits and pieces from it and putting it into their routines like ppl have done with Mike and Janet's routines.

I think it was TE who was making the argument that the only iconic part of "Billie Jean" is the moonwalk. The same thing could be said about "If". The only iconic part is the breakdown. And WTF is PP? :umm:

You act like Michael Jackson was the first person doing the moonwalk or Janet didn't get inspired by the ROTC, or the gwurls weren't voguing long before madonna was even in New York, but when it comes to Beyonce ya'll wanna have a double standard.

Puleeze! >_<

You act like Michael Jackson was the first person doing the moonwalk or Janet didn't get inspired by the ROTC, or the gwurls weren't voguing long before madonna was even in New York, but when it comes to Beyonce ya'll wanna have a double standard.

Puleeze! >_<

I don't think it's a double standard...the video was simple but I enjoyed the fact that the focus was the nonstop dancing. IMHO, it should be lower on your list.

Puleeze! >_<

Where's the double standard? :umm:

Where's the double standard? :umm:

Its cool for Janet, Michael and madonna to borrow but for Beyonce everybody says "the gurls been doing it for years."...reality check the ROTC has been doing military steps for years, and the street dancers have been moonwalking for years, and the black gays have been vouging for years before any of them artist.

Its cool for Janet, Michael and madonna to borrow but for Beyonce everybody says "the gurls been doing it for years."...reality check the ROTC has been doing military steps for years, and the street dancers have been moonwalking for years, and the black gays have been vouging for years before any of them artist.

Gaga gets the same double standard :shifty: She can't steal Grace Jones's or Liberace's wardrobe without a riot :shifty:

Here's the difference, since when was the ROTC a dance troop? Voguing was underground before Madonna came along, and everyone knows Mike didn't invent the backslide Moonwalk.

J-setting was already popular across Souther colleges and universities, esp at HBCUs. Marching bands had the girls dancing, who were called J-setters.

This gurl has lost her mind :fail::blink:

Please. As stated even Beyonce did the Superman, Oprah lead her audience in the Superman. And Superman ushered in an era of ringtone singles and instructional dances. What has Beyonce influenced? Nothing. You can be a Bey a fan, but come on now. Her J-set wasn't even that crucial.

Please. As stated even Beyonce did the Superman, Oprah lead her audience in the Superman. And Superman ushered in an era of ringtone singles and instructional dances. What has Beyonce influenced? Nothing. You can be a Bey a fan, but come on now. Her J-set wasn't even that crucial.

No.

I'll address the list first, and your grammar later. :mellow:

First of all, get Britney off that list. People don't remember the routine, they remember the school uniform. Call me crazy, but I think 'Single Ladies' should be higher, and 'I Want You Back' should be lower. And how can you ignore 'YMCA'? Even the 'Macarena' :unsure:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: