Trayvon Martin Is Dead & We Don't Give A F*ck!

ThatOtherFan

I think there is an intersection that people don't talk about either: gender. The statistics towards Black men are not in their favor, yet I will always advocate for them because I know, as a Black woman, what my position is and what my experiences are. I should be for feminism, but whenever there's a feminist issue, it's not there for Black women; they are cast aside for women of a more "desireable" race. When there's a race issue, it's not there for a Black woman either as the focal point is the Black man. Even though Black women are more likely to achieve a degree in comparison to their male counterparts, they still, on average earn less than their male counterparts and in comparison to White women. I too have read far worse in the Internet world, but I don't appreciate you trying to pull your initial argument that your plight is worse than mine which initially started because I'm not in agreement with everything Obama says and does. I wasn't trying to start any divisive tactics amongst the race.

and I am sorry that Black females are not afforded more equality just as much as my own Black males, but as you stated the statistics don't lie, Black men don't even get to the board room to argue about less pay, so I will agree to disagree and walk from the convo, because despite your being offended, Im angry the reality of Black men in this country is what it is, you may not agree. At the end of the day im having a convo with Angela, on her board, and she's a moderator, so I have to walk a fine line, carefully craft every word, hope NOT to offend, and even then I am perceived as having done so, all the while thinking I must bite my tongue so she doesn't get mad with me for truly expressing my opinions and hit that button

and to answer your question, I was never more proud of our nation when the media picked up the story of the Black girl that went missing from Chicago and the story went National, because the police were refusing to do anything, and the parents continued to say our daughter is NOT okay. She later turned up dead, boyfriend killed her. Do you remember that?

I do remember that. How well do you remember her name without having to search? How many people here remember the details or even the story?

and I am sorry that Black females are not afforded more equality just as much as my own Black males, but as you stated the statistics don't lie, Black men don't even get to the board room to argue about less pay, so I will agree to disagree and walk from the convo, because despite your being offended, Im angry the reality of Black men in this country is what it is, you may not agree.

You misread my statement. Black women, despite attaining higher degrees, are making LESS than Black men on average.

I did not turn this into my situation is worse than yours. You did and I said I wasn't here for that and I listed examples of how Black women are at a disadvantage. It's the entire community that needs uplifting. I even stated that I am an advocate for Black men, so I don't know how you can say I may not agree.

I think there is an intersection that people don't talk about either: gender. The statistics towards Black men are not in their favor, yet I will always advocate for them because I know, as a Black woman, what my position is and what my experiences are. I should be for feminism, but whenever there's a feminist issue, it's not there for Black women; they are cast aside for women of a more "desireable" race. When there's a race issue, it's not there for a Black woman either as the focal point is the Black man. Even though Black women are more likely to achieve a degree in comparison to their male counterparts, they still, on average earn less than their male counterparts and in comparison to White women. I too have read far worse in the Internet world, but I don't appreciate you trying to pull your initial argument that your plight is worse than mine which initially started because I'm not in agreement with everything Obama says and does. I wasn't trying to start any divisive tactics amongst the race.

and to your credit, White women, it has been argued, benefited more from Civil Rights laws than Blacks

I do remember that. How well do you remember her name without having to search? How many people here remember the details or even the story?

I provided an example demonstrating that it does happen though, Im not the enemy here Angela, don't think I don't see Black women getting the shaft, I do. Its hard to be a Black anything trying to succeed and NOT see plenty of examples

receipts :

and to your credit, White women, it has been argued, benefited more from Civil Rights laws than Blacks

They have been the biggest recipients of Affirmative Action and I believe I read are the majority of welfare; however, the media would rather portray Black people as these lazy, people who were inherently born to criminalize and take things without working for it.

This kind of thinking is pervasive and is what allows so many people to put in money to support George Zimmerman.

I hope that there is a Civil Suit and that the money that all these racists put into for supporting George Zimmerman goes towards paying the Martin family for their grief.

• Upvote 2

You misread my statement. Black women, despite attaining higher degrees, are making LESS than Black men on average.

I did not turn this into my situation is worse than yours. You did and I said I wasn't here for that and I listed examples of how Black women are at a disadvantage. It's the entire community that needs uplifting. I even stated that I am an advocate for Black men, so I don't know how you can say I may not agree.

And I see where your point was now, Black women make less than Black men. BUT I see more Black women as a whole in positions affording them power, hell I cannot tell you the number of times I count how many Black men are even in the room, in college more Black women, in the academic counseling more Black women, so are they catching hell? sure bet, but they got a job, I know plenty of Black men that will never have that larger pay issue.

They have been the biggest recipients of Affirmative Action and I believe I read are the majority of welfare; however, the media would rather portray Black people as these lazy, people who were inherently born to criminalize and take things without working for it.

This kind of thinking is pervasive and is what allows so many people to put in money to support George Zimmerman.

I hope that there is a Civil Suit and that the money that all these racists put into for supporting George Zimmerman goes towards paying the Martin family for their grief.

I agree, im glad we can :lol:....just zip it chile she gone hit that button on yo ass

so trying again to understand, you are saying that my statement belittles the point? If that's the case then NOW we are on the same page, and belittling was not my intent, I did state the statistics, and when I read you saying " The statistics towards Black men are not in their favor" I had to bite my tongue hard not to say no shit.

And I see where your point was now, Black women make less than Black men. BUT I see more Black women as a whole in positions affording them power, hell I cannot tell you the number of times I count how many Black men are even in the room, in college more Black women, in the academic counseling more Black women, so are they catching hell? sure bet, but they got a job, I know plenty of Black men that will never have that larger pay issue.

Bailey, we're in agreement about the academic advantage. I've said it over and over in this thread, that on average Black women attain a higher degree more than the Black man. I'm not disputing that; however, Black women are still earning LESS. If education is supposed to be the gateway to higher earnings, how is this happening?

And Black are stereotyped and are the biggest victims of the industrial complex. It's astounding to me that all these people that literally destroyed our economy through their greed can still maintain their jobs and hoarde money, or you can wage a war on false pretenses and there are no consequences for their action as there would be if there was a young black man selling weed.

Now, let me say, I do not think all white people are racist and I don't make blanket statements like that. But I am disheartened and hurt whenever I see racism at work.

• Upvote 1

I remember the details and the story, I have a horrible memory of names, but I recalled the story and where it took place without a search

so trying again to understand, you are saying that my statement belittles the point? If that's the case then NOW we are on the same page, and belittling was not my intent, I did state the statistics, and when I read you saying " The statistics towards Black men are not in their favor" I had to bite my tongue hard not to say no shit.

My statement may not have been the most eloquent so I should expound on it. On average, Black men are given a shitty ass hand to deal with it. That's what I meant when the statistics are not in their favor. They are put at a disadvantage from the beginning and are told to overcome it with little to no help, and if they should complain, they are criticized for it. It is why I am happy to see someone overcome the hand they are dealt with. The media and others are quick to publish those negative statistics and paint this broad brush, which is why I said what I said.

• Upvote 1

Bailey, we're in agreement about the academic advantage. I've said it over and over in this thread, that on average Black women attain a higher degree more than the Black man. I'm not disputing that; however, Black women are still earning LESS. If education is supposed to be the gateway to higher earnings, how is this happening?

And Black are stereotyped and are the biggest victims of the industrial complex. It's astounding to me that all these people that literally destroyed our economy through their greed can still maintain their jobs and hoarde money, or you can wage a war on false pretenses and there are no consequences for their action as there would be if there was a young black man selling weed.

Now, let me say, I do not think all white people are racist and I don't make blanket statements like that. But I am disheartened and hurt whenever I see racism at work.

I agree preaching to the choir ....what comes to mind with me in serious debates first tends to be right in my experience, and my first thought is gender equality is a serious portion of your dilemma, race of course doesn't help. I even respect the fact your this angry, because as a Black male, I even have to watch getting angry, because nothing is more threatening than an angry Black man because well he could just go ape shit. My point being is often I don't even feel I have that luxury to be outraged and show it.

My statement may not have been the most eloquent so I should expound on it. On average, Black men are given a shitty ass hand to deal with it. That's what I meant when the statistics are not in their favor. They are put at a disadvantage from the beginning and are told to overcome it with little to no help, and if they should complain, they are criticized for it. It is why I am happy to see someone overcome the hand they are dealt with. The media and others are quick to publish those negative statistics and paint this broad brush, which is why I said what I said.

and again we're coming to agreement, honestly I don't really care what the media or some White people think, I have a duty to serve my best interests in the best way I can find to make my shitty hand stink a lil less, so in short, aint nobody got time for dat.

I agree preaching to the choir ....what comes to mind with me in serious debates first tends to be right in my experience, and my first thought is gender equality is a serious portion of your dilemma, race of course doesn't help. I even respect the fact your this angry, because as a Black male, I even have to watch getting angry, because nothing is more threatening than an angry Black man because well he could just go ape shit. My point being is often I don't even feel I have that luxury to be outraged and show it.

Yup. You don't want to be stigmatized as the "Angry Black Man." It's why I keep myself under pressure at work, because I know the perception of being a Black woman and her attitude, and the "Angry Black Woman" theme.

Yup. You don't want to be stigmatized as the "Angry Black Man." It's why I keep myself under pressure at work, because I know the perception of being a Black woman and her attitude, and the "Angry Black Woman" theme.

oh the angry Black woman theme is alive and well....I see that too, and it saddens me because they walk a fine line not to offend too, only because they want to be seen as professional and competent to do what someone not of color would otherwise never experience.

The important question is now...where do we go from here? Im hearing theres alot of rally's going on. Which is refreshing from people apparently prepping for "riots" lol.

Im lost I can't answer that, I mean how do you undue an injustice of this magnitude? How can a President call for peace when so many hearts are filled with rage and angry? I dont have those answers. Im sad that I had the privilege of speaking with Angie yet under such shitty circumstances, that even makes me sad I wish it were something we all could be happy about, but this is the furthest from it. I do hope civil charges apply, I often think yes you can buy a defense "dream team" but you can't pick a great prosecution if whats there aint, at the federal level I expect more

The important question is now...where do we go from here? Im hearing theres alot of rally's going on. Which is refreshing from people apparently prepping for "riots" lol.

My biggest fear is that people become complacent after the anger. In light of the Paula Deen scandal and this, it needs to be mobilized in some way. I'm still following updates and i'm glad that there is no rioting. It kind of dispels the stereotype in a way.

• Upvote 1

Its hard not to become complacent, you see the same story played out time and time again and people lose hope, they begin to believe that there is no justice, that's when irrational behavior such as rioting takes place. And I too am glad there hasn't been any, but in order to keep that peace, someone is gonna have to step this up and not let "not guilty of all charges" to an almost chagrined judge NOT be the last page of this story.