Not Impressed with Monica's Album at all

SloLove

Maaaannnn boo!!!!!! :thumbdown: I should've known better from the singles. Where yall Monica fans at?...Dont let me start name calling...I know who you are. Im confident Brandy got this :thumbup:

I would hope she does "got this" considering how bland her last project was. Everyone knows "Human" was just NOT where it was at.I'm actually confident she might bring it this time too.

The LA Times wasn't that impressed either

Album review: Monica's 'New Life'

April 9, 2012 | 10:09 pm

increase text size decrease text size

Monica-new-life

Monica, like her two-time duet partner and onetime rumored professional rival, Brandy, is an artistic daughter of the late Whitney Houston, whom she’s cited as a major influence. The 32-year-old’s vocal power and masterful control of her instrument make her a singer’s singer. But she’s always had a bit more grit and street veneer than the late Houston, qualities that have made her brand of R&B fit more smoothly in the realm of post-hip-hop R&B. Those same textured qualities flicker on but can’t quite save "New Life," a slickly produced collection of largely generic, meandering songs about self-affirmation in the wake of heartache and romantic disillusionment.

"It All Belongs to Me," her much-hyped reunion with Brandy, replaces the irresistible catfight of their first duet, "The Boy Is Mine," with sisterly bonding as they each discard a trifling lover, but only after making sure he leaves behind the material trappings bought by his sugar mama. The track promises fire but never really ignites. Even heavyweight producers Missy Elliott and Polow da Don seem asleep at the wheel, and it’s only on "New Life’s" final two tracks -- "Cry," produced by Salaam Remi, and "Time to Move On," produced by D. Smith -- that Monica tackles worthy material, and her seasoned, emotive voice soars.

Album Info

Release Date: April 9, 2012

Producer: Monica Brown, Bryan-Michael Cox, Jermaine Dupri, Earl & E, Missy Elliott, Lamb, Rico Love, Pierre Medor, Mr. Morris, Polow da Don, Salaam Remi, D. Smith

Label: RCA

Fact: The album's official lead singls was a duet with Brandy called 'It All Belongs to Me'.

4 / 10 The ’90s were a good time to be a Monica. While Monica from 'Friends' reigned anally over the TV airwaves, the mononymous R&B singer Monica was at the top of the charts thanks to ‘The Boy Is Mine’, her classic tussle of a duet with Brandy. In 2012, however, things have changed: the Friends bunch are no more and Monica’s attempt to re-kindle ‘The Boy Is Mine’s magic with Brandy on ‘It All Belongs To Me’ earlier this year flopped dismally. Such limpness is a sad trait of Monica’s latest album. ‘New Life’ has its moments – Missy Elliot collaboration ‘Anything (To Find You)’ is a strapping banger – but overall there are far too many limp ballads to really excite

The Washington Post

Music Review: Monica’s latest album ‘New Life’ takes the R&B singer in a new direction

Smaller Text Larger Text Text Size

Print

Reprints

By Associated Press, Tuesday, April 10, 11:33 AM

Monica, “New Life” (RCA Records)

After the success of her last album, 2010’s”Still Standing,” Grammy-winner Monica returns with a soulful yet less-than-impressive collection of R&B tracks.

Comments

Weigh In

Corrections?

Personal Post

The album’s first single, “It All Belongs To Me,” has deservedly attracted the most attention of all the songs on the album. Possibly the most talked about musical reunion of the year, it features Monica and Brandy with another powerful duet, 14 years since their 1998 classic “The Boy Is Mine.” This one is an anthem for the ladies, all about giving the boot to a no-good man.

But there aren’t a lot of songs as electric as that one. “Daddy’s Good Girl” has a strong beat but lyrically seems out of place, with lines like “Shopping sprees might make me smile for now but what about later?” ‘’Big Mistake” is emotional and full of passion, but while it briefly grabs the listener’s attention, it doesn’t hold it. The same can be said for “Take A Chance” featuring Wale. Expectations are high, but a little more oomph is needed.

Among the highlights of “Still Standing” is “The Man Who Has Everything,” a risky song where Monica experiments with a reggae beat, and pulls it off.

Showing off her vocal range on “Without You,” Monica reminds us why she’s still relevant, and she takes it further on the sad and sophisticated “Until It’s Gone.” The raw pain in her voice hits home to give you goosebumps all over.

Vocally, Monica has never disappointed: Her voice is powerful and pure. But the album sounds uneven and underwhelming, perhaps due to the large number of producers, including past collaborators Jermaine Dupri, Bryan-Michael Cox and Missy Elliott, along with new blood like Salaam Remi and Rico Love. With all that talent behind Monica, it’s surprising this album has such a shortage of standout hits.

Slant Magazine

MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW

Monica: New Life

Buy at:Amazon | iTunes

Monica

New Life

by Jonathan Keefe on April 8, 2012

Jump to Comments (0) or Add Your Own

On the campy interlude that opens Monica's new album, the singer receives a pep talk from Mary J. Blige before intoning, "I've gotta embrace my new life," with such gravity that it sounds like she's reading someone's last rites. If nothing else, this opener suggests that New Life will at least bring some high drama and might even find Monica making good on the huge influence Blige's brand of contemporary soul has had on her career. Unfortunately, the album does neither.

Instead, it squanders Monica's on-point vocal turns on some cliché-addled songs and embarrassingly cheap-sounding production. The melody of "Without You" allows Monica to show off the breadth of her range, but with its reverb-heavy percussion line, the track's production immediately recalls—and pales in comparison to—Beyoncé's "Halo" and Kelly Clarkson's "Already Gone." But while it's both a dated knockoff and a phoned-in effort from Polow da Don, "Without You" is still one of the better tracks on a messy, underwhelming set.

With 11 different producers credited on just 10 songs, it's no surprise that New Life is so scattered and uneven, but the album still sounds shockingly cheap. Missy Elliott brings nothing more to the ballad "Until It's Gone" than a pedestrian beat and chintzy quiet-storm keyboards, while the distracting, amelodic electronic bleeps that Jermaine Dupri loops throughout "Amazing" are mixed as loudly as Monica's vocal track. "Cry" and "Big Mistake" lack any sort of texture or distinction, forcing Monica to try to elevate the banal songs through her performances alone.

To the singer's credit, she continues to develop a husky, robust lower register that makes her voice even more distinctive. But she rarely has the opportunity to showcase her voice on material that's worthy of her talent. The slow-burning "Time to Move On," with its light-handed use of Stax-era vintage sounds, is the album's obvious standout, and Monica's delivery is full-bodied and multifaceted. "Man Who Has Everything," which Rico Love gives a reggae-inspired arrangement, is really the only other track on the album that offers anything more than rote, anonymous modern R&B. Blige may tell Monica that she should be thankful for a "blessed life," but New Life makes it painfully clear that she hasn't been blessed with collaborators who know how to highlight her skills.

Aed....whyyyyy did you post all of that? *DEAD* :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I can't handle all of the shade... :umm:

I simply posted the reviews that were available yesterday. :wink:

I thought they went well with this thread. No shade, No tea. :coffee:

The Predictions Are In: Monica’s ‘New Life’ Set To Sell…

new life sales e1334175441443 The Predictions Are In: Monicas New Life Set To Sell...

Easily one of the most anticipated R&B releases this year, Monica‘s ‘New Life’ no doubt has many itching to see how well it does straight out of the gate.

And while a definitive answer will be ushered in with next week’s official Billboard 200 chart, its first day figures-as is usual-provide a safe estimate.

Find out what Ms. Brown is on-course to open with after the jump…

According to Hits Daily Double, ‘Life’ is slated to premiere within the top 10 with sales of 55,000-65,000 – a noticeable dip from the debut of her last outing, ‘Still Standing’. Indeed, many will remember the ‘Everything To Me’ led set shifted 184,000 on its first week.

Needless to say, the figures aren’t at all the best. That said, longevity is key; and with 17 years under her belt, staying around and relevant is something Mo’ seems versed in. Here’s hoping aspects of the project are salvaged with solid single releases (‘Daddy’s Good Girl’, anyone?) and touring.

Thereafter, it’d be great to see Monica re-engage with the strand of “quality” radio-R&B she so skillfully dabbled with on ‘Still Standing’; an LP – which when compared to this new release – offered up something for everyone, instead of the Urban Adult Contemporary market this seemed heavily skewed to