The Janet Jackson Praise Thread

Mr. Wonder

TrueTea2.jpg

TrueTea.jpg

Oddly enough, just the other day I was reading an article about MYM:

Does Indie Need To Be More Influenced By Janet Jackson?

Fluxblog proprietor Matthew Perpetua has a plea for all those indie musicians out there who want to make music that can be described by the terms “limp psychedelic folk, faux-Animal Collective bullshitting, [or] lame-ass attempts at mimicking the Jesus & Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine”: Get new influences, please. He takes his first such shot across the bow of schmindie today, launching a series called, simply, “Your New Influences” that asks musicians to think about what makes great songs tick, even (especially?) if said tracks venture far beyond the usual lump of guitar-drone goo. His first suggestion is a great one–Janet Jackson’s fire-breathing 1989 track “Miss You Much,” which he’s recommending because of its Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis production, because Rhythm Nation 1814’s overall aesthetic can be gleaned from just one listen, and because it’s a firecracker of a song.

Aside from her singing, melodic and non-rhythmic elements in the arrangement have a somewhat subliminal effect on the listener, guiding and emphasizing dynamic shifts without distracting attention from its primal hooks. As the song approaches its climax, it gradually adds more textural elements without crowding out its abundant negative space and emphasis on percussion. (As far as I can tell, there is no guitar in the song whatsoever until its final minute.) Jam and Lewis’ track is a masterpiece; a virtuoso performance that achieves an immediate, forceful physical effect via subtlety and nuance. I suggest that musicians focus their attention on the arrangement of “Miss You Much” rather than Jackson’s vocal performance or persona, but I would be remiss not to mention that her presence is essential to the success of the piece. Her voice effortlessly transitions from a rhythmic toughness to soulful emoting to a flirty softness without overselling any aspect of her performance, lending the song a continuum of emotions and attitudes that add up to the impression that we’re listening to the expression of a fully-formed human being with contradictions and complexities.

I have to say that I would be much more likely to listen to indie that had the sort of backbone and physicality of “Miss You Much”; part of the reason that I was so down on that CSS album was that for a dance record, it was pretty lifeless, which contributed to the overall feeling of meh given off by it. (I’d also posit that the recent blogosphere frenzy around my personal favorite track of the year, Ida Maria’s “Oh My God,” is a direct result of that track taking some of the lessons of “Miss You Much” to heart, particularly when it comes to aural texture and shading.) The relegation of pop in indie culture to “semi-ironic whispery cover” is something that’s continually irritated me, because it implies a knowledge of popular music without any further engagement with what musical mechanisms turn those songs into “pop, and I’m definitely looking forward to future installments in the series.

Also it would be great if Janet somehow found Perpetua’s post and took his advice to heart, but I guess you can’t have everything.

http://idolator.com/397748/does-indie-need-to-be-more-influenced-by-janet-jackson

TrueTea2.jpg

TrueTea.jpg

Oddly enough, just the other day I was reading an article about MYM:

Does Indie Need To Be More Influenced By Janet Jackson?

Fluxblog proprietor Matthew Perpetua has a plea for all those indie musicians out there who want to make music that can be described by the terms “limp psychedelic folk, faux-Animal Collective bullshitting, [or] lame-ass attempts at mimicking the Jesus & Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine”: Get new influences, please. He takes his first such shot across the bow of schmindie today, launching a series called, simply, “Your New Influences” that asks musicians to think about what makes great songs tick, even (especially?) if said tracks venture far beyond the usual lump of guitar-drone goo. His first suggestion is a great one–Janet Jackson’s fire-breathing 1989 track “Miss You Much,” which he’s recommending because of its Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis production, because Rhythm Nation 1814’s overall aesthetic can be gleaned from just one listen, and because it’s a firecracker of a song.

Aside from her singing, melodic and non-rhythmic elements in the arrangement have a somewhat subliminal effect on the listener, guiding and emphasizing dynamic shifts without distracting attention from its primal hooks. As the song approaches its climax, it gradually adds more textural elements without crowding out its abundant negative space and emphasis on percussion. (As far as I can tell, there is no guitar in the song whatsoever until its final minute.) Jam and Lewis’ track is a masterpiece; a virtuoso performance that achieves an immediate, forceful physical effect via subtlety and nuance. I suggest that musicians focus their attention on the arrangement of “Miss You Much” rather than Jackson’s vocal performance or persona, but I would be remiss not to mention that her presence is essential to the success of the piece. Her voice effortlessly transitions from a rhythmic toughness to soulful emoting to a flirty softness without overselling any aspect of her performance, lending the song a continuum of emotions and attitudes that add up to the impression that we’re listening to the expression of a fully-formed human being with contradictions and complexities.

I have to say that I would be much more likely to listen to indie that had the sort of backbone and physicality of “Miss You Much”; part of the reason that I was so down on that CSS album was that for a dance record, it was pretty lifeless, which contributed to the overall feeling of meh given off by it. (I’d also posit that the recent blogosphere frenzy around my personal favorite track of the year, Ida Maria’s “Oh My God,” is a direct result of that track taking some of the lessons of “Miss You Much” to heart, particularly when it comes to aural texture and shading.) The relegation of pop in indie culture to “semi-ironic whispery cover” is something that’s continually irritated me, because it implies a knowledge of popular music without any further engagement with what musical mechanisms turn those songs into “pop, and I’m definitely looking forward to future installments in the series.

Also it would be great if Janet somehow found Perpetua’s post and took his advice to heart, but I guess you can’t have everything.

http://idolator.com/397748/does-indie-need-to-be-more-influenced-by-janet-jackson

Didn't want this to get missed. -_-

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mike McCrea, VP of Marketing for Blackglama

"When we began preparation for the second Blackglama campaign, Janet became very involved in the design process. The result was an amazing collection of Blackglama garments and accessories that reflect Janet’s tremendous sense of style and fashion,” said Mike McCrea, VP of Marketing for Blackglama. "This is one of the most visually appealing and innovative Blackglama collections I have seen."

http://www.janetjackson.com/story/news/blackglama-announces-debut-of-janet-jackson-blackglama-collection

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nicki Minaj on her style icons:

"Grace Jones definitely. So amazing. And Cyndi Lauper, I loved her right from when I was a little girl. And Janet Jackson of course. And Boy George. I always loved the way he dressed, and his music too.

http://necolebitchie.com/2012/02/10/nicki-minaj-reveals-style-icons-love-for-big-ang-new-album-in-paper-magazine/#more-180268

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From Preon9 of The Dragon's Lair J|X

March 2, 2012

Karyn White reflects on her self-titled debut album.

Karen-White_Album-Cover.jpg

“‘Slow Down’ is a song I wrote with my English buddy Steve Harvey,” says White. “The song was inspired by Janet Jackson because she was such a phenomenon back then as well. It was my version of ‘Let’s Wait Awhile.’ I was a young woman myself and I wanted to write a song telling young girls to be ladies and be virtuous.”

http://www.soulculture.co.uk/features/interviews/we-truly-had-magic-karyn-white-reflects-on-her-self-titled-debut-album-return-to-the-classics/

-------------------------------------

03/02/2012

Royce Reed - Basketball Wives

101311-celebs-royce-reed.jpg

"I used to dream that Janet Jackson was my big sister and she would one day put me in a remix of the Pleasure Principle video.” Then I turned 10. It’s nice to have dreams, but there comes a time to get a real job. Royce reads some weird script with another actor. She’s kind of terrible. I have no idea what this is. Is this a church play?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/therootdc/post/basketball-wives-season-four-episode-two/2012/03/02/gIQAVQdpmR_blog.html