Why do white people always bring up slavery?

EphraimAdamz

One of my associates on my Facebook went on this rant. I was a bit taken back because he's so cool usually. He's white and never seemed like the bigoted type. But he really opened my eyes a bit recently saying how he never owned slaves, and why do black people feel like white people should owe them something :crazy:

I had to explain to him that no one is personally blaming white people of today for slavery. When black people bring up racism, they are talking about shit that is happening RIGHT NOW. What is with this misconception that when race is brought up that we are talking about slavery? No one's checking for slavery. I'm checking for stuff that's going down right now...

Stereotypes in television and film in the year 2012

Harassing Arabs and Muslims at the airport and hotel check-ins in 2012

Racially motivated police brutality in 2012

Blacks being stopped while driving in a white neighborhood in 2012

Hispanics assumed to be illegal aliens, or drug dealers in 2012

Black schools denied the same books and funding as their white counterparts in 2012

Black people being denied access to buying certain houses and mortgages in 2012

Black students are also more likely to be placed in special education classes in 2012

Black men are likely to face longer prison sentences for the same crimes as whites in 2012

And then I told him that "reverse racism" happens too. But yall be too scared to say shit :coffee:

I HATE the term "reverse racism" because reverse racisim technically means not racist, but it's used as any minority being racist against white people ONLY, wheres when it's a white person who's racist to a minority, it's just racist, no "reverse" about it.

Sounds to me like your friend (as well as alot of people I know/met who talk like that) think slavery was the only problem African Americans faced, that once it was over, everything was all good, except we were just mad at them, and decided to be forever. Theres white people who just want to forget, or ignore what went on with the Civil rights movements and what goes on to this day, and it makes those people afraid to talk about racism,slavery, or the Civil Rights because they want it swept under a rug, and for them and us to just act like nothing happend, which isnt a reality. Because this shit still exists.

It's weird to say "South Park taught me something" but it did, on the episode when Stans dad said the N word and Stan kept apologizing to Token and kept saying "I know how you feel", and Token kept saying "You dont get it", and stan kept trying and trying to find examples and ways to "get it", but at the end I LOVE that he was like "Token, I get it now...I DONT GET IT, I can never get it, I can never understand what it's like" (I forgot if thats exactly what he said but it's pretty much what he said/meant) and he was RIGHT.

• Upvote 1

Asking why white people ALWAYS bring up slavery is a bigoted comment in itself.

Funnily enough slavery is probably the furthest thing from most white people's minds. And funnily enough most white people don't sit thinking about black people as much as you might like to think that they do.

• Upvote 6

Funnily enough slavery is probably the furthest thing from most white people's minds. And funnily enough most white people don't sit thinking about black people as much as you might like to think that they do.

THIS

Chip, shoulder, you're DISMISSED :coffee:

• Upvote 1

Yea like I said previously, I know the type of person your specifically refering too, but I dont think by far it's the majority.....maybe majority conservatives...but not the majority of white people today that I know and know their opinions on race have that state of mind

That's because White people have the privilege of living in a world that is easier for them to manage, not to say Whites do not suffer difficulties because they do, but there does in fact exist a form of White lack of concern, not out of racist notions/ideas, but because the problems non-Whites suffer do not apply to them. Perfect example, I was on Gay.com years ago when the Supreme Court was examining affirmative action, I asked a White male who was a law student at University of Michigan (a defendant in the Supreme Court case) What did he think about race in admissions, he told me "it does not affect me so I don't really have an opinion"....point is we live in a world filled with inequities, as long as the problem isn't yours of course they don't give nay fuck. It's like the old saying it's a recession when your neighbor losses his job it's a depression when you lose yours. Just because it's not your issue does not mean there isn't one. :filenails:

• Upvote 1

I HATE the term "reverse racism" because reverse racisim technically means not racist, but it's used as any minority being racist against white people ONLY, wheres when it's a white person who's racist to a minority, it's just racist, no "reverse" about it.

Sounds to me like your friend (as well as alot of people I know/met who talk like that) think slavery was the only problem African Americans faced, that once it was over, everything was all good, except we were just mad at them, and decided to be forever. Theres white people who just want to forget, or ignore what went on with the Civil rights movements and what goes on to this day, and it makes those people afraid to talk about racism,slavery, or the Civil Rights because they want it swept under a rug, and for them and us to just act like nothing happend, which isnt a reality. Because this shit still exists.

It's weird to say "South Park taught me something" but it did, on the episode when Stans dad said the N word and Stan kept apologizing to Token and kept saying "I know how you feel", and Token kept saying "You dont get it", and stan kept trying and trying to find examples and ways to "get it", but at the end I LOVE that he was like "Token, I get it now...I DONT GET IT, I can never get it, I can never understand what it's like" (I forgot if thats exactly what he said but it's pretty much what he said/meant) and he was RIGHT.

Truth.com

That's because White people have the privilege of living in a world that is easier for them to manage, not to say Whites do not suffer difficulties because they do, but there does in fact exist a form of White lack of concern, not out of racist notions/ideas, but because the problems non-Whites suffer do not apply to them. Perfect example, I was on Gay.com years ago when the Supreme Court was examining affirmative action, I asked a White male who was a law student at University of Michigan (a defendant in the Supreme Court case) What did he think about race in admissions, he told me "it does not affect me so I don't really have an opinion"....point is we live in a world filled with inequities, as long as the problem isn't yours of course they don't give nay fuck. It's like the old saying it's a recession when your neighbor losses his job it's a depression when you lose yours. Just because it's not your issue does not mean there isn't one. :filenails:

Truth.org

• Upvote 1

Race is a sensitive subject and people get uncomfortable when ever you bring it up. People were LIVID the moment I said the word Race when talking about the Trayvon Martin case

that's one subject folks will just not deal....and what gets me is we in 2012 and the shit is getting worse in some ways :umm:

It's getting worse because a huge chunk of the population believe we live in a post racial America. This has made it appropriate for many issues reguarding race and class differences to be ignored even when it's a situation of people being disenfranchised. So as things have gotten worse people haven't noticed. People automatically associate racism with fire hoses and riots, but there's other forms

I don't bring up slavery when issues involving race arise, but see...When I was a kid, maybe like 10 years old and my best friend across the street (who was a black boy) gets told by his grandparents not to trust me or my brother because we're white, it makes me livid that in some people's eyes, everyone who is white is responsible for the inequalities they've faced in their lifetime. Not just the individuals. There's no other way to slice and dice it, THAT was racism. At my age now, I simply won't accept treatment like that. If someone sees me and thinks they can't trust me just because I'm white, they need to reevaluate the chip on their shoulder and realize that I am not the person who gave it to them. Get to know me before you assume that I'm bigoted, please :)

Beyond all of that, it just makes me sad that people do live in a world where they feel they have to watch their backs or be weary of anyone whose pigmentation happens to be light, even weary of children.

And the idea (White lack of concern, not out of racist notions/ideas) that Roman brought up is such a flawed mentality. When people are trying to coexist in a society where racism exists, it does apply to everyone. Everyone is impacted. For example, if your coworker is victim of racism in the office by a white man, and you happen to be white, that coworker who is a minority (rightfully) would probably be weary of everyone else in the office who is white, because of the views of that one person -- who can you trust? You have to defend yourself. See where I'm going with that? It does impact everyone. We all should care about the issue of racism because it does exist and it is a problem -- even if you are not a victim of it yourself. Subtle racism is the biggest form I see today, and it's just as big of a problem.

Not every white person is apathetic (or blind) about race issues. I'll just leave it at that.

• Upvote 1

I don't bring up slavery when issues involving race arise, but see...When I was a kid, maybe like 10 years old and my best friend across the street (who was a black boy) gets told by his grandparents not to trust me or my brother because we're white, it makes me livid that in some people's eyes, everyone who is white is responsible for the inequalities they've faced in their lifetime. Not just the individuals. There's no other way to slice and dice it, THAT was racism. At my age now, I simply won't accept treatment like that. If someone sees me and thinks they can't trust me just because I'm white, they need to reevaluate the chip on their shoulder and realize that I am not the person who gave it to them. Get to know me before you assume that I'm bigoted, please :)

Beyond all of that, it just makes me sad that people do live in a world where they feel they have to watch their backs or be weary of anyone whose pigmentation happens to be light, even weary of children.

And the idea (White lack of concern, not out of racist notions/ideas) that Roman brought up is such a flawed mentality. When people are trying to coexist in a society where racism exists, it does apply to everyone. Everyone is impacted. For example, if your coworker is victim of racism in the office by a white man, and you happen to be white, that coworker who is a minority (rightfully) would probably be weary of everyone else in the office who is white, because of the views of that one person -- who can you trust? You have to defend yourself. See where I'm going with that? It does impact everyone. We all should care about the issue of racism because it does exist and it is a problem -- even if you are not a victim of it yourself. Subtle racism is the biggest form I see today, and it's just as big of a problem.

Not every white person is apathetic (or blind) about race issues. I'll just leave it at that.

I never said every White person was, and no my argument was not flawed, it made perfect sense and I gave an example of how it works, plain and damn simple they don't give a fuck one way or the other because whatever issues Blacks have or don't have is not their concern.

the whole point was that they don't care, why you can't see that is beyond me, if an issue is not your concern and you go about your life daily barely interacting with anyone of another race, it DOES NOT MATTER TO THEM, out of sight out of mind.

and man is that shit flawed, you think a Black person or anyone for that matter gets treated poorly and decides ALL people like the one that treated them poorly are like that? And my shit is flawed? :blink: And who the hell said people are trying to co-exist? I know plenty of folks that don't want you on their turf, I had a White landlord I rented from years ago, and he and his wife lived in a very nice area, so when I paid rent I always brought it to their house, only because I would dream of living like that. They hated that I came to their house, I was told several times, to simply leave the rent on the steps in my apartment and he would come and pick it up that way I wouldn't come to their great neighborhood, where the fuck is co-existing there? :blink:

that office worker example was some bullshit too, if I have a problem with someone at work, i gives nay fuck what their race is or isn't because the problem didn't come from race it came from a single muthafucka stepping to me wrong, it aint got shit else to do with anyone else in the office.

that office worker example was some bullshit too, if I have a problem with someone at work, i gives nay fuck what their race is or isn't because the problem didn't come from race it came from a single muthafucka stepping to me wrong, it aint got shit else to do with anyone else in the office.

Black people in a office.... the stories I could tell. They don't like our asses. You know we like to get loud and shit, tell it like it is.

WHY ARE YOU YOU WHISPERING? OH OK....

:coffee: :coffee:

• Upvote 1

Black people in a office.... the stories I could tell. They don't like our asses. You know we like to get loud and shit, tell it like it is.

WHY ARE YOU YOU WHISPERING? OH OK....

:coffee: :coffee:

I think/believe as part of any real discussion here, we have to understand that there are cultural differences and when you come from another background those differences may clash. I know in my program I am the only Black out of 120 students in the entire program, it's hard to get into. I am the first Black male admitted ever. One thing I notice that disturbs me, is some, not all, but for whatever reason White people can be so damn fake. They will hug you smile in yo face, and talk about you like a fucking dog behind your back which is why I don't fuck with too many people in my program. :filenails:

I see half the people that gave you plus points on this are White...kinda like you half White :whistle:

Actually, they kinda do. The sole reason why America prides itself on "equality" is due to slavery and the need to eradicate White supremacy in America. When Whites are taught about slavery, the guilt takes over, and they feel the need to give leniency to Blacks. This is why we have things like affirmative action, government sponsoring to HBCUs, and other Black owned and operated businesses supported by "The Man". I'm sure you've heard of a little something called "White Guilt", and that stems from the shame Whites feel for their ancestors employing slavery on Blacks. A good percentage of American government over the last couple of centuries has been restructured to accommodate Blacks in America.

I see half the people that gave you plus points on this are White...kinda like you half White :whistle:

So... what you mean is that the other half was given by some black members meaning no point on adressing it aka no point on trying to stir shit up aka a useless post.

Nothing new really.

Let me co-sign Paul ... Wonder where im gonna fall ... :shifty:

the whole point was that they don't care, why you can't see that is beyond me, if an issue is not your concern and you go about your life daily barely interacting with anyone of another race, it DOES NOT MATTER TO THEM, out of sight out of mind.

I don't think I was clear. I wasn't saying what YOU said was wrong by any means. I was saying the guy you were talking about who doesn't care about racism or affirmative action because it doesn't affect him, his logic is wrong. I'm saying I do not think that's how it should be. And obviously not EVERYONE who is victim of racism takes it out on the entire race. I'm not saying that. It was a small made up example of how it can effect more than just the minority who was victim of racism. Another example, I care if my neighbor is racist because if he freaks out because my black step mom or mixed little brother is in his yard, that matters to me. If my friends go into a store and are told their "kind" isn't served, that matters to me.

I completely agree that a great majority of privileged and white Americans are separated from and oblivious to the racism that is still so very alive in this country. I'm saying they shouldn't be. Everyone should be paying attention because it MATTERS.

I'm typing this on my phone btw. Sorry if there's any mistakes.

I don't think I was clear. I wasn't saying what YOU said was wrong by any means. I was saying the guy you were talking about who doesn't care about racism or affirmative action because it doesn't affect him, his logic is wrong. I'm saying I do not think that's how it should be. And obviously not EVERYONE who is victim of racism takes it out on the entire race. I'm not saying that. It was a small made up example of how it can effect more than just the minority who was victim of racism. Another example, I care if my neighbor is racist because if he freaks out because my black step mom or mixed little brother is in his yard, that matters to me. If my friends go into a store and are told their "kind" isn't served, that matters to me.

I completely agree that a great majority of privileged and white Americans are separated from and oblivious to the racism that is still so very alive in this country. I'm saying they shouldn't be. Everyone should be paying attention because it MATTERS.

I'm typing this on my phone btw. Sorry if there's any mistakes.

Although I fuck with Paul, I truly adore him, and as for your statements I am glad you clarified yourself, in that regard it does matter, the sad point is the very point you make, to some they believe it does not matter to them, but it does, it matters because it reflects what their state of mind is and how they will act in the future, sometimes I swear some people should be forced to have diversity training.