Why do white people always bring up slavery?

EphraimAdamz

and man is that shit flawed, you think a Black person or anyone for that matter gets treated poorly and decides ALL people like the one that treated them poorly are like that? And my shit is flawed? :blink: And who the hell said people are trying to co-exist? I know plenty of folks that don't want you on their turf, I had a White landlord I rented from years ago, and he and his wife lived in a very nice area, so when I paid rent I always brought it to their house, only because I would dream of living like that. They hated that I came to their house, I was told several times, to simply leave the rent on the steps in my apartment and he would come and pick it up that way I wouldn't come to their great neighborhood, where the fuck is co-existing there? :blink:

that office worker example was some bullshit too, if I have a problem with someone at work, i gives nay fuck what their race is or isn't because the problem didn't come from race it came from a single muthafucka stepping to me wrong, it aint got shit else to do with anyone else in the office.

Obvioualy the metaphor did not translate. I didn't mean literally an office environment, it was an example. And it DOES happen. Some people (on both sides) blame the race for a single persons actions and THIS is the problem that impacts everyone in a community.

Sometimes people treat incidents for what they are and it doesn't go past the individual perpetrator. What I'm saying is the people who lash out at everyone for an isolated incident on BOTH sides are the ones who keep racism going. And to say that this never happens would be wrong. To say it always happens would also be wrong.

As for your first paragraph, that's shit. I hate knowing that things like that happens to anyone. It makes me angry. My old best friend from HS had a boyfriend who didn't like me cause I was just the white chick. I wasn't allowed to come over my friends house when he was there. He just didn't like me. Shit like this happens and it shouldn't. That's all I'm saying.

Although I fuck with Paul, I truly adore him, and as for your statements I am glad you clarified yourself, in that regard it does matter, the sad point is the very point you make, to some they believe it does not matter to them, but it does, it matters because it reflects what their state of mind is and how they will act in the future, sometimes I swear some people should be forced to have diversity training.

I wonder how we could help this problem though. If there's more kids should be taught in school, programs for adults,etc. because it does seem like a lot of people are out of touch and almost ignorant to the reality of the racism that is still active, until they or someone they know experiences it. Even then it tends to be met with apathy. I just think people should actively be doing what they can about it.

Although I fuck with Paul, I truly adore him, and as for your statements I am glad you clarified yourself, in that regard it does matter, the sad point is the very point you make, to some they believe it does not matter to them, but it does, it matters because it reflects what their state of mind is and how they will act in the future, sometimes I swear some people should be forced to have diversity training.

And all of that is so true. I'm sorry for not being clearer before. I just mean, that whole mentality is flawed and is definitely, absolutely part of the problem. And this is just one part that I've been posting about. I'm fully aware that it runs much deeper and is more complex of an issue. I just feel that this part is something that we can begin to tackle -- make people care and more aware.

Also another thing as a white person...when I read/hear/see stories about racism like this, it makes me upset. It makes me want to apologize because I know no one else will. I'm sorry ANYONE has to experience hate based only on the way you were born. Inexcusable.

I wonder how we could help this problem though. If there's more kids should be taught in school, programs for adults,etc. because it does seem like a lot of people are out of touch and almost ignorant to the reality of the racism that is still active, until they or someone they know experiences it. Even then it tends to be met with apathy. I just think people should actively be doing what they can about it.

In some ways it's changing, in pockets, I see more mixed kids now than ever, which means a whole lot of swirl action :shifty: and they make the beautifulest babies imagine a world full of Pauls :blush:

In some ways it's changing, in pockets, I see more mixed kids now than ever, which means a whole lot of swirl action :shifty: and they make the beautifulest babies imagine a world full of Pauls :blush:

Like my baby brother :wub:

One of the most gorgeous babies I've ever seen!

I think/believe as part of any real discussion here, we have to understand that there are cultural differences and when you come from another background those differences may clash. I know in my program I am the only Black out of 120 students in the entire program, it's hard to get into. I am the first Black male admitted ever. One thing I notice that disturbs me, is some, not all, but for whatever reason White people can be so damn fake. They will hug you smile in yo face, and talk about you like a fucking dog behind your back which is why I don't fuck with too many people in my program. :filenails:

If you watched more TV you would have already known that.

Victoria-Grayson-in-her-chair1.jpg

Actually, they kinda do. The sole reason why America prides itself on "equality" is due to slavery and the need to eradicate White supremacy in America. When Whites are taught about slavery, the guilt takes over, and they feel the need to give leniency to Blacks. This is why we have things like affirmative action, government sponsoring to HBCUs, and other Black owned and operated businesses supported by "The Man". I'm sure you've heard of a little something called "White Guilt", and that stems from the shame Whites feel for their ancestors employing slavery on Blacks. A good percentage of American government over the last couple of centuries has been restructured to accommodate Blacks in America.

Very good point. The UK is still stuck in a very old class system which isn't particularly interested in progress for ethnic minorities unless you're from a certain background. Ethnic minorities in the UK sort of recognise this but they in no way take affirmative action with it like in the US which is something I applaud the US for even though it's a struggle. Minorities in the UK are farrr too tolerant of the inbalance in social mobility in the UK. The UK cabinet doesn't even have a single ethnic member, so yes , race is very apparent

Very good point. The UK is still stuck in a very old class system which isn't particularly interested in progress for ethnic minorities unless you're from a certain background. Ethnic minorities in the UK sort of recognise this but they in no way take affirmative action with it like in the US which is something I applaud the US for even though it's a struggle. Minorities in the UK are farrr too tolerant of the inbalance in social mobility in the UK. The UK cabinet doesn't even have a single ethnic member, so yes , race is very apparent

And that's the racial injustice that people will not tolerate here in America. There NEEDS to be racial variety in every walk of life, because the interest of only one group of Americans will be addressed if there isn't. The struggles of each race is different in America, and I can see why we have these things in place. The good thing is that America is a melting pop, and the government has no choice but to be accommodating of all the needs of everyone.

Corrections:

UK employers have to employ a certain amount of people from minority background.

UK government has black people in the cabinet.

The fact is that the UK is no better or worse than America for black people. It just depends on whether you'd prefer to be called a ni99er to your face or behind your back basically

Barones Warsi, Asian woman, is in the Cabinet. Granted she's a homophobe tho....

And there's diane abbot and lady Scotland both of whom are black, there's also that black labour man - cant remember his name. There are quite a few Asian and black people in very high positions in law and govt. are there enough? Probably not, but it's a long process.

At least in the UK people are comfortable enough to show interracial relationships on tv regularly as a norm.

And there's diane abbot and lady Scotland both of whom are black, there's also that black labour man - cant remember his name. There are quite a few Asian and black people in very high positions in law and govt. are there enough? Probably not, but it's a long process.

At least in the UK people are comfortable enough to show interracial relationships on tv regularly as a norm.

the U.S. our history is sadly built on a racial foundation, and it continues today, the Trayvon Martin case just blows my mind, the idea folks donated all that money to the defense of Zimmerman. The fact (FACT!) that people act like he didn't say on the 911 tape the word "coons" and we ALL know he did. :filenails:

Both the USA and UK have issues regarding racial equality, but both have very different histories. While the UK was running the majority of the slave trade and delivering slaves to its world wide colonies, there were very few slaves living in The UK itself, whereas we all know how it was in the USA. So this led to slightly different issues for minorities. For example segregation was never a constitutional practice here, but in the past it happened where minorities were banned from renting rooms in certain houses etc. Racism and discrimination is illegal now. The problem is proving it.

Exactly. We've come a long way.

Both the USA and UK have issues regarding racial equality, but both have very different histories. While the UK was running the majority of the slave trade and delivering slaves to its world wide colonies, there were very few slaves living in The UK itself, whereas we all know how it was in the USA. So this led to slightly different issues for minorities. For example segregation was never a constitutional practice here, but in the past it happened where minorities were banned from renting rooms in certain houses etc. Racism and discrimination is illegal now. The problem is proving it.

I get that but the point I was making is that your country existed before slavery and without it, the USA was founded with slavery, there's a difference, our country does not have a history where race was NOT a part of the picture.

I get that but the point I was making is that your country existed before slavery and without it, the USA was founded with slavery, there's a difference, our country does not have a history where race was NOT a part of the picture.

Actually the UK benefited heavily from slavery, specifically Liverpool.

Actually the UK benefited heavily from slavery, specifically Liverpool.

The UK controlled slavery for the most part all over the world and still benefits today. Don't forget that parts of America, Canada, Australia, the Caribbean, India, huge parts of Africa were all colonies many up until only a few decades ago. Britain still benefits today through the commonwealth where for example up to 70 % of the land iN Canada is "crown land" meaning it belongs to the British crown.

The UK controlled slavery for the most part all over the world and still benefits today. Don't forget that parts of America, Canada, Australia, the Caribbean, India, huge parts of Africa were all colonies many up until only a few decades ago. Britain still benefits today through the commonwealth where for example up to 70 % of the land is "crown land" meaning it belongs to the British crown.

dat's my Paul him sound so edumacated :shifty:

So many white Americans are against Affirmative Action, but have no idea how it works :sigh:

I had to explain that it only effects government jobs. He was swearing up and down that if we both walked into Toys R Us that its "not fair" they might hire me over him :blink:

A ) Unless you want to be a soldier, a cop, a firefighter, or a mail man then AA does not apply to you.

B ) AA was protested and banned in the states of California, Michigan, and Washington since 1996. So don't get me started if you live in any of those 3 states :umm: :umm:

I see it as a race where on the whole white people are at the starting line ready to run but black people due to history, social unequality, prejudice and racism are mainly 20 meters back.

Then people argue that "we can all run so everything is fair! Why should black people be brought forwards when we aren't" without recognising that they are ALREADY ready to start the race. Society will only be fair when we are all at the starting line together.

The UK controlled slavery for the most part all over the world and still benefits today. Don't forget that parts of America, Canada, Australia, the Caribbean, India, huge parts of Africa were all colonies many up until only a few decades ago. Britain still benefits today through the commonwealth where for example up to 70 % of the land iN Canada is "crown land" meaning it belongs to the British crown.

Thank you for supporting my argument. :)