The Official "It's All About Paul" Thread

Bailey

Every region in the UK has a different accent - completely different - as different as a London accent and a US valley girl accent. In fact the UK has more differences in accent over a short distance than any other country in the world. However the more upper class you are the more you lose the stronger regionional accents and sound "neutral".

Ohhhhh well I will have to look at the UK map and see

Ohhhhh well I will have to look at the UK map and see

You can't tell accents from a map - you can get two cities not far from each other where the people speak completely differently like Birmingham and Liverpool. The accents are as different as Trina's from the other braxtons lol

You can't tell accents from a map - you can get two cities not far from each other where the people speak completely differently like Birmingham and Liverpool. The accents are as different as Trina's from the other braxtons lol

so then the only way to understand this is to actually be British, its a British thing? What's your accent? Whats Bu's?

so then the only way to understand this is to actually be British, its a British thing? What's your accent? Whats Bu's?

I don't get what you don't understand......people in different areas speak very differently, class aside. It's because you Americans are conditioned to think that there is a "British accent" when all you are exposed is one or two ways that British people speak. For example Bu's accent is completely different to mine, as different as yours and mine. There are huge differences in accent across the UK.

I don't get what you don't understand......people in different areas speak very differently, class aside. It's because you Americans are conditioned to think that there is a "British accent" when all you are exposed is one or two ways that British people speak. For example Bu's accent is completely different to mine, as different as yours and mine. There are huge differences in accent across the UK.

I think the reason I dont get it is because Britain seems to be a rather compact area, so it surprises me that you can have so many different accents from such a seemingly limited region. In the states it makes sense that someone who lives over 1000 miles away speaks differently. Comparatively, the area occupied by the United Kingdom is slightly smaller than the state of Oregon.

I think the reason I dont get it is because Britain seems to be a rather compact area, so it surprises me that you can have so many different accents from such a seemingly limited region. In the states it makes sense that someone who lives over 1000 miles away speaks differently. Comparatively, the area occupied by the United Kingdom is slightly smaller than the state of Oregon.

But if you think historically, even though Britain is small, people have been here for thousands of years, living in small communities with fairly little interaction with each other until the last hundred or so years. So different accents developed over a small area. In the USA you have had continual movement of people on a much larger scale.

But if you think historically, even though Britain is small, people have been here for thousands of years, living in small communities with fairly little interaction with each other until the last hundred or so years. So different accents developed over a small area. In the USA you have had continual movement of people on a much larger scale.

THERE it is....why? I wonder how its even possible to live in a small area and have very little interaction

THERE it is....why? I wonder how its even possible to live in a small area and have very little interaction

Because a hundred years ago people didn't have cars and didn't move around much and tended to die close to where they were born. I could ask you the same question - in a small USA town with a black community and a white community - why might they speak differently?

Because a hundred years ago people didn't have cars and didn't move around much and tended to die close to where they were born. I could ask you the same question - in a small USA town with a black community and a white community - why might they speak differently?

purpose segregation, I mean up until about 40 years ago it was legal to keep us seperated

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...