VH1's 40 Greatest R&B Songs Of The 90's

cheaps

VH1s40GreatestRandBSongsOfThe90s.jpg

While many musical historians look at the 90s as the decade in which “alternative” and hip-hop music exploded from the underground into the mainstream, we here at VH1 haven’t forgotten that the decade was flush with a number of stone classic R&B tracks. Tonight at 9 p.m., VH1 will be airing the latest installment in our long-running series The Greatest, The 40 Greatest R&B Songs Of The 90s.

In addition to monster crossover smashes from well-established forces like Whitney Houston (“I Will Always Love You”) and Janet Jackson (“That’s The Way Love Goes”), the 90s were also a time when future powerhouse R&B legends like Mary J. Blige (“Real Love”, “Not Gon’ Cry”) and R. Kelly (“I Believe I Can Fly,” “Bump N’ Grind”) first established a rapport with audiences worldwide. Of course, there were also a few groups —we’re looking at you, Bell Biv Devoe and Color Me Badd— who released instant classics but were never quite able to replicate that initial success.

Be sure to tune-in to VH1 tonight at 9 p.m. to watch the premiere of The 40 Greatest R&B Songs Of The 90s, but as a means of whetting your appetite, please take a peek at the complete list below. We’ve also put together a Spotify playlist of the complete list* for you to enjoy, and don’t miss your opportunity to start debating our selections in the comments below!

VH1′s 40 GREATEST R&B SONGS OF THE 90S

40. Bobby Brown, “Humpin’ Around”

39. En Vogue, “Hold On”

38. Jade, “Don’t Walk Away”

37. Shanice, “I Love Your Smile”

36. Boyz II Men, “Motownphilly”

35. Keith Sweat, “Twisted”

34. Aaron Hall, “I Miss You”

33. 702, “Where My Girls At?”

32. Johnny Gill, “Rub You The Right Way”

31. Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, “Tha Crossroads”

30. Ginuwine, “Pony”

29. Tony! Toni! Toné!, “Feels Good”

28. Faith Evans, “Love Like This”

27. Silk, “Freak Me”

26. K-Ci & JoJo, “All My Life”

25. Lisa Stansfield, “All Around The World”

24. Whitney Houston, “I’m Every Woman”

23. Jodeci, “Come And Talk To Me”

22. TLC, “No Scrubs”

21. Guy, “Do Me Right”

20. Mariah Carey, “Fantasy”

19. Usher, “You Make Me Wanna”

18. SWV, “I’m So Into You”

17. Blackstreet, “No Diggity”

16. Mary J. Blige, “Not Gon’ Cry”

15. Brian McKnight, “Back At One”

14. R. Kelly, “Bump N’ Grind”

13. Brandy & Monica, “The Boy Is Mine”

12. Color Me Badd, “I Wanna Sex You Up”

11. En Vogue, “My Lovin’ (You’re Never Gonna Get It)”

10. Boyz II Men, “End Of The Road”

9. Aaliyah, “Are You That Somebody?”

8. Mary J. Blige, “Real Love”

7. Montell Jordan, “This Is How We Do It”

6. TLC, “Waterfalls”

5. R. Kelly, “I Believe I Can Fly”

4. Janet Jackson, “That’s The Way Love Goes”

3. Whitney Houston, “I Will Always Love You”

2. Mariah Carey Featuring Boyz II Men, “One Sweet Day”

1. Bell Biv Devoe, “Poison”

I love a lot of the songs on this list, but BBD "Poison" Greatest R&B Song of the 90's? Really" :rolleyes::unsure:

However I am watching right now, and it really is making me miss 90's R&B!! :tear:

2dtk5tjpg.giffantasia-o.gif

I like this list more than a lot of the "best of" list that have come out recently. I can think of a few songs that should have made it, but didn't. I would have taken "Diamonds and pearls" and "remember the time" over some of the songs they chose. And Brandy and monica both should of had more of their individual songs on the list, outside of

"TBIM". And where is Toni Braxton? But overall, its a strong list.

• Upvote 1

Odd that they have Aaliyah on the list with "Are You That Somebody" when clearly "One In A Million" was the game changer.

SWV's "Weak" should have been on the list.

Janet should have been on the list with "Anytime, Anyplace"

TLC's "Creep" and "Bany Baby Baby" even if you got rid of "No Scrubs"

Certain artist defined 90s "R&B" including mary J, Janet, Toni Braxton, TLC, R. Kelly, Aaliyah, Brandy and a few others. That should have did the top R&B artist of the 90s.

SWV's "Weak" should have been on the list.

Janet should have been on the list with "Anytime, Anyplace"

TLC's "Creep" and "Bany Baby Baby" even if you got rid of "No Scrubs"

Certain artist defined 90s "R&B" including mary J, Janet, Toni Braxton, TLC, R. Kelly, Aaliyah, Brandy and a few others. That should have did the top R&B artist of the 90s.

You're getting a bit carried away. :umm:

I actually think they did pretty good with the list overall. It wasn't the cliche r&b shit you'd think they would have put up there which is kind of refreshing. The fact that they even acknowledged ppl like 702 and Faith Evans says they at least tried to do research instead of just randomly throwing only shit they're familiar with up there. :lol:

You're getting a bit carried away. :umm:

I actually think they did pretty good with the list overall. It wasn't the cliche r&b shit you'd think they would have put up there which is kind of refreshing. The fact that they even acknowledged ppl like 702 and Faith Evans says they at least tried to do research instead of just randomly throwing only shit they're familiar with up there. :lol:

"Fantasy" should have been higher than "One Sweet Day"...Its the more memorable song. "One Sweet Day" is just big cause of the artist, and its 49 cent retail price. "Fantasy" is the classic, and the OBD part is more memorable than the entire "OSD" chorus.

"Fantasy" should have been higher than "One Sweet Day"...Its the more memorable song. "One Sweet Day" is just big cause of the artist, and its 49 cent retail price. "Fantasy" is the classic, and the OBD part is more memorable than the entire "OSD" chorus.

Its clear they chose some of the wrong songs for certain artists :lol: but its funny I've never considered ballads like "One Sweet Day" and "I Will Always Love You" as r&b,perse.. I always looked at adult contemp ballads as a whole seperate sub genre or some shit. :lol: