Janet Jackson sounded sweet while sweatin' to the oldies in Portsmouth

Reyna ♔

On a steamy night in Portsmouth, 45-year-old pop star Janet Jackson showed that she can still step on stage and conjure the fire of youth. Her best magic trick, though, was putting on an dazzling, dance-heavy show that seemed natural coming from a mature woman.

This wasn't Ms. Jackson pretending she's still in her 20s. It was Ms. Jackson embracing her past and staying rooted in the present.

And at present, she seems to be having a good time -- expressing her joy, love and sexuality.

Playing before what looked like a packed house at the Harbor Center amphitheater, Jackson led a show that was hit-filled, fast-paced and carefully choreographed.

She kicked off the show with "The Pleasure Principle" -- a tune she dedicated specifically to P-Town -- then tore through quick, medley-style bursts of songs. "What Have You Done For Me Lately," "Miss You Much" and "Nasty" all came early in the set.

Janet -- not showing off abs of steel, but looking fit and healthy -- hit most of her marks in the sometimes-complex dance routines. The dancing was smartly constructed to limit its aerobic impact. Fewer jumps and kicks. More arm and hand movements. She said what needed to be said with a quick stab of the hip or a slap of the thigh.

Then, she took a break. While she toweled off back stage, the audience was entertained by clips of video from Jackson's child acting days on "Good Times" and "Diff'rent Strokes." The crowd roared at a scene from the film "Poetic Justice" in which Jackson trades some nasty lines with Tupac Shakur.

When Jackson re-emerged, she shifted into ballad mode and gave sensitive readings of her more mellow hits including "Come Back to Me," "Let's Wait Awhile" and "Again."

Her voice -- expressive, but more delicate than Michael's -- has held up well. On the ballads, she showcased her control and tone. For my money, she's got chops to make Ke$has and Katy Perrys of the world green with envy.

After another break, the star returned to the stage and launched into dance mode again, singing hits "Escapade" and "All For You."

Jackson's show in Portsmouth was entertaining enough to make a big crowd forget the sweat and party like was 1989.

I LOVE this reviewer :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Archived