1. 1. Favorite member

• 2-D
    • Murdoc
    • Noodle
    • Russel
  2. 2. Favorite official album

• [img]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/126s/24507751.png[/img] Gorillaz
    • [img]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/126s/78360044.png[/img] Demon Days
    • [img]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/126s/43379949.png[/img] Plastic Beach

We haven't done these types of poll series in a while, so I thought I'd re-re-resurrect them :P (obscure Common reference lol) Anyway...

Gorillaz.jpg

I started doing going through their discography lately. I only heard knew of "Feel Good Inc." (their biggest single here in the U.S.) ~ Maseo's laugh makes it a classic lol. At the time, I didn't realize they were a virtual band. Personally, I think that's an interesting concept ~ I love that each member has a unique identity, but my favorite would have to be Noodle (the one in the lower left corner) because she seems to be the most free-spirited one of the group and she's kinda cute. (Hey she's legal now! <_<:lol:)

Even if I wasn't into the idea of a virtual band, I love their musical output; it's quality and very diverse! For me that's the most important factor.

I like all three of the albums they released so far. Generally, I notice with their songs they tend to hook me in more and more as they go along. Highlights from the first album IMO: "Clint Eastwood" (Del tha Funkee Homosapien killed it here! I have to listen to more of his songs) "Tomorrow Comes Today." "19-2000" is another one - while I liked the quirky vibe of the original, the Soulchild Remix takes it to another level. And also "Re-Hash" and "M1 A1" ~ the latter also has a cool reggae mashup from the Laika Come Home mashup album ~ I still have to hear that in full though. It's with Spacemonkeyz lol.

Demon Days is even better IMO (nice homage to the Beatles on the front cover too), it's my favorite album because it has "Feel Good Inc" lol. But there are many other great moments here. "Kids With Guns" featuring Neneh Cherry, "O Green World" rocks, "DARE" makes me wish Noodle got the chance to sing more, and the title track is nothing short of amazing.

I heard Plastic Beach last night and that was really good too. Love the singles "Stylo," "On Melancholy Hill" and even "Superfast Jellyfish" (because De La Soul is that awesome lol! I will make a thread about them soon enough too lol) Also "Welcome to the Plastic Beach" with Snoop. Some people don't seem to like "Sweepstakes" tho ~ yeah the beginning is a bit slow and repetitive lyrically, but as it progresses some great things happen musically. It's actually another highlight for me.

I also heard The Fall. It's not really part of their official album canon; it's more of a mood music album so not really as exciting as their main albums IMHO. I guess I have to be in a more mellow, introspective mood to appreciate it.

I actually only bought The Singles Collection. Not only is it a great overview of their singles (even including the epic "19-2000" remix), but I got the special edition which includes all their music videos ~ all the important ones anyway. Well worth it for sure! I think it's essential to watch them all if you're trying to understand the story of the virtual band. Standout videos are "Clint Eastwood" (kinda has that Tim Burton aesthetic to it) "19-2000" (moose don't play lol), "Feel Good Inc.," "DARE" (his teeth tho :(), "Stylo," and "On Meloncholy Hill" (the cameos!). The "El Mañana" video is so sad though; I can't even watch that anymore

She appears to get killed in the video, but she actually does survive though

. Well the "Superfast Jellyfish" video isn't included but it's a bit off for my tastes anyway. Still love the song and it includes a live performance with my homeboys De La Soul!

Also a very worthy mention is the track they released last year "DoYaThing," which they did with James Murphy and André 3000 (he kills it!)

My album ranking (+ favorite song)

1. Demon Days ("Feels Good Inc.")

2. Plastic Beach ("Superfast Jellyfish")

3. Gorillaz ("19/2000 ~ Soulchild Remix")

In the wise ole words of Trini Trent, watch the "Feel Good Inc." below lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8PpYBiDsc

• Upvote 1

Gorillaz are an act I adore but for whatever reason I've never invested enough time in their complete package. I own and love their albums, but have never taken the time to check out many of their videos or even any live footage. The characters are also lost on me.

Musically they're kind of without equal. Damon Albarn never stops creating and it shows in the sheer difference between Gorillaz, Blur, and The Good, The Bad, And The Queen, three polar opposites. It wasn't love at first listen for me, as I initially didn't get the hype. Truthfully, I still don't rate their debut anywhere near the level of excellence delivered on albums two and three. 'Clint Eastwood' is great because it was SO different and obviously the start of something quite extraordinary. But to me the spectacle of an animated band and a new Damon Albarn project far outweighed the actual quality of music here. I wholeheartedly agree with the Soulchild Remix of '19-2000' outshining the original, too. It just adds that punch it needed. They're the only tracks I tend to revisit from their debut.

Demon Days stepped things up considerably for me. 'Feel Good Inc.' is pure genius. The lazy bass, the swirling bridges, De La Freaking Soul. I don't know how it all came together but it just works. It always gives me a slight blaxploitation vibe, just a great mish-mash victory. I also remember it being the first track I saw used in an iTunes commercial. Definitely one of the best singles of the '00s. As previously mentioned, my favourite track from the group (and obviously from this album) is the incredible 'El Mañana'. That for me shows the closest ties to Damon's Blur days. The melody is shattering, it's just so superbly haunting, almost macabre. This album gelled so much better than their debut, even though they took more risks. Other faves are 'Dirty Harry' (Bootie Brown's rap >>>), 'All Alone', and 'DARE'.

My favourite Gorillaz album is Plastic Beach. The hits weren't as big but this is where they really hit their stride. 'Stylo' KILLS me with that menacing intro and Bobby Womack's fractured wail. 'Superfast Jellyfish' remained truer to the Gorillaz format, but I just love when they go darker and artier. 'On Melancholy Hill' is glorious, like how I imagine a sunshower would sound in song form. :lol: That track also made my Top 50 Singles Of 2011. My other favourite from this era is 'Doncamatic', which should've smashed as hard as 'Feel Good Inc.' I also love the other Bobby collaboration, 'Cloud Of Unknowing'. It's so beautifully poignant. If it is indeed their final album they've crafted a great set on which to bow out.

One thing that always stands out to me with Gorillaz is their choice in collaborators. From Neneh Cherry to De La Soul, Daley, Andre 3000, Little Dragon, Snoop Dogg, Mick Jones (The Clash!), Lou Reed etc. They're all so varied and some are just quietly amazing in their own right. I think it's further testament to the brilliant mind of Daman Albarn. He envisions these people on his songs and seeks them out, and it's hard to imagine anybody else in their place. We're so bombarded with features these days that the art of collaborating can be completely lost on a lot of records, but they play an integral part in the Gorillaz' discography.

My ranking:

1. Plastic Beach

2. Demon Days

3. Gorillaz

Thanks TE, and your write-ups are always top class. I can't wait to read yours. ^_^

"El Mañana" is a great choice (darn helicopters shooting down the windmill tho <_< lol)

Thanks, Andy. That's much appreciated.

I know. -_-

• Upvote 1

Excellent overview! :clapping:

tumblr_ml2n0d9H391ql5yr7o1_500.gif

I was also indifferent to the characters at first, but after watching their videos a few times they grew on me. ^_^

Yeah you're right, Damon has a great ear for collabs. Maseo of De La Soul nailed that evil taunting laugh, nobody else could have done it like him. I'm not too familiar with his band Blur's music though, so that will likely be one of my next transitions. Basically I transitioned through Boomerang soundtrack --> A Tribe Called Quest --> De La Soul --> Gorillaz. lol

That gif. :asham: Thanks, Andy.

That's so cool you can trace your path to discovering an artist. I don't think I could remember if I tried. :lol:

Blur are fantastic. I never got into their albums but they had some amazing singles. You might already know this one, but it's my fave song and video of theirs.

:wub:

Yeah I guess they're collaboration chains. :lol: I also branched off in another direction with Del tha Funkee Homosapien since he featured on two songs lol

Cool song and video, I like its message on family. Oh wow I definitely recognize that milk carton! I've seen a dancing gif of it before but never knew where it was from! :asham: Aw, he died happily after ~ that was cute! ^_^ As he was ascending, I was saying "C'mon, reunite with the girl carton!" and sure enough there she was. Them poor things only have a two week life span anyway lol