The Review of Unbreakable By Kishi

Kishi

I've had the pleasure of listening to this album 15 times since Tuesday September 29 and I'm glad that it's the #1 album in the nation. Here's my review! 

1. Unbreakable - 10/10
Reminds me of: The mid-tempo tracks on Damita Jo with throwback samples.
Thoughts: A great way to start off the album, it's a dedication to her fans and our support. 

2. BURNITUP! - 8/10
Reminds me of: Justin Timberlake "SexyBack" and "Feedback"
Thoughts: This song is for the clubs, especially the ballroom kids. It's begging for a vogue remix.

3. Dammn Baby - 10/10
Reminds me of: Her awesome B-sides & bonus tracks from the 2000s.
Thoughts: Funky jam. Another song for the clubs. Love the "I Get Lonely" interpolation in the middle.

4. The Great Forever - 8/10
Reminds me of: Adam Lambert "For Your Entertainment" & Christina Aguilera "Keeps Getting Better"
Thoughts: The lyrics make the song for me. A great message about living your life on your own terms.

5. Shoulda Known Better - 10/10
Reminds me of: If "New Agenda" had a love child with "Don't You Worry Child", more so in the message rather than the production.
Thoughts: Janet's had plenty of songs about social issues and world problems, but the pop/dance/slightly EDM production is new for her. The live version is one of the highlights of her tour.

6. After You Fall - 8/10
Reminds me of: Sade
Thoughts: This is another different sound and track from Janet. Very emotional.

7. Broken Hearts Heal - 8/10
Reminds me of: MJ's Off The Wall album and The Jacksons' 80's material.
Thoughts: Very heartfelt throwback sound about missing Michael and dealing with his loss.

8. Night - 10/10 
Reminds me of: A superior version of "Rock With U"
Thoughts: Tranquil, smooth, and smooth. I love the harmonies on this song.

9. No Sleeep - 10/10
Reminds me of: The Velvet Rope album.
Thoughts: This song never gets old, it's like all of Janet's strengths rolled into one song.

10. Dream Maker/Euphoria - 10/10
Reminds me of: Some of her 20 Y.O. album mixed with Diana Ross and slight trap influences.
Thoughts: This song is something else. It feels like this is what they should have done for 20 Y.O., this track alone slays that entire album.

11. 2 B Loved - 10/10 
Reminds me of: Her albums from the 2000's, a better version of "Daybreak".
Thoughts: I feel like this could've been from any of her albums in the 2000's, especially 20 Y.0., except it's fresher.

12. Take Me Away - 10/10
Reminds me of: Her All For You album.
Thoughts: This would be a great addition to her setlist. It has that same pop/AC influence that was on some of her All For You tracks.

13. Promise - 10/10
Reminds me of: Sade and "The Body That Loves You"
Thoughts: Can't wait for the full version on the Target deluxe edition. It's got a tropical, Brazillian jazz influence like "The Body That Loves You".

14. Lessons Learned - 10/10
Reminds me of: The Velvet Rope album.
Thoughts: Seems very introspective and relaxing, beautiful harmonies and great instrumentation.

15. Black Eagle - 8/10
Reminds me of: The Velvet Rope album and Tinashe's Aquarius album.
Thoughts: The last song slips into this one without notice. About midway into the song, the shift in production is melodious. 

16. Well Traveled - 10/10
Reminds me of: 90's country.
Thoughts: There's a bittersweet feeling towards this song, reflecting on her life's journey so far.

17. Gon B Alright - 10/10
Reminds me of: The Jacksons' 80's albums & "What'll I Do" & "Black Cat"
Thoughts: I love her vocals here, funky, rock, soul, 60's, 70's, Motown all rolled into one. Guitar, drums, harmonies, delicious.

18. Promise Of You - 10/10

Reminds me of: Safe.

Thoughts: The full version of "Promise", it's beautiful, sensual, romantic, and soothing.

19. Love U 4 Life - 10/10

Reminds me of: Jackson 5, Maxwell, stepper's music.

Thoughts: Such a nice, early 80's inspired groove. 

This album is a must buy for Janet fans and music lovers. This easily trumps her last few releases and will be a great listen for those that aren't familiar with her music. I'd rank it up high with her best....Rhythm Nation 1814, janet., and The Velvet Rope. 

Edited by Kishi
  • Upvote 4