The news thread...

RedSimba

Was there ever a news thread created? :unsure: If not, there is now lol

Students get on high ledge of building to protest budget cuts!

BERKELEY (KRON) -- U.C. Berkeley and Berkeley police are monitoring a growing number of protesters in front of Wheeler Hall. Six to eight student protesters chained themselves to an antenna on the fourth floor of the building earlier Thursday evening.

The act of civil disobedience is the latest chapter in a series of demonstrations over the last day on the Berkeley campus to protest budget cuts to public and higher education.

KRON 4's Jonathan Bloom says protesters are holding signs that demand higher California taxes instead of higher tuition.

Witnesses say another two or three demonstrators are on the building's ledge.

"This is a serious safety issue," university spokesman Dan Mogulof said.

Witnesses say the demonstrators are also using a bullhorn to criticize the arrests of 17 protesters at Berkeley Wednesday night. 14 of the earlier demonstrators were released after book. Three were held for arraignments.

KRON 4 crews are on the scene. Stay tuned to KRON 4 and KRON4.com for the latest on this developing story.

(Copyright 2011, KRON 4, All rights reserved.)

http://www.kron4.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=453

Dang... a lot of, um, crazy events happening near where I live. I was actually passing by the site for the minute, but I left before it got even more chaotic.

Archived