Help Me With This Janatics

Idrag4mj

so I have been having this debate . with a friend of mine who is a madonna fan/stan ...i have been trying to tell her that janet dragged madonna's dry weave through the mud from the time control hit the shelves till 2004 Superbowl (she thinks im delusional and that janet never dragged that dry weave )..she genuinely believes that janet has had close no success in europe and is known because of michae ... just knows perhaps 2 three of her songs ...

she thinks that madonna is a better performer and an artistic genius especially when it comes to the tour creation and such stuff..

she gave me this documentary to watch to prove her point

are there some great janet documentaries on youtube that shed light on her artistry .and such . she wants me to enlighten her..

so please post links to janet documentaries ,articles stating janet's impact and success anything you of significance ..thanks in advance

so I have been having this debate . with a friend of mine who is a madonna fan/stan ...i have been trying to tell her that janet dragged madonna's dry weave through the mud from the time control hit the shelves till 2004 Superbowl (she thinks im delusional and that janet never dragged that dry weave )..

Madonna has obviously been more successful, but Janet was giving the bitch hell from the time Control dropped. Janet was already an establish celebrity who was famous when Madonna was living on the streets in New York. However, Madonna did outsell Janet in the 80s. She had 3 successful albums to Janet's 1 (not counting their 1989 releases). Janet did set a number of record with Control - first to have 5 #1 R&B hits, first female to have 5 top 5 hits from one album, first artist to have a single from one album peak in each of the top 5 slots, made Janet the youngest artist since Stevie Wonder to hit #1, the youngest female to have a #1 album, youngest artist to be nominated for Album of the Year at the Grammys, and a total of 12 AMA nominations for one album (the most for ANY artist EVER). Control outranked all of Madonna's albums on Rolling Stone's decade end charts, and it is the second female album listed behind Tracy Chapman's.

As time progressed, Janet just kept stomping on her. Like A Prayer and Rhythm Nation 1814 were both released in 1989. LAP did 11 million. RN1814 did 14 million plus. I don't need to in depth there, because we all know how massive the RN1814 album was. In 1992 Madonna released Erotica, which did 5 million, and has long been considered a flop. Janet released janet. which sold 20 million. In 1997/1998 they were both out again with albums, Velvet Rope did 10 million, Ray Of Light did 15 million. This is the album that saved Madonna from obscurity because she was the doormat of the 90s. Everybody was wiping their feet with her. Janet, Whitney, Celine, and Mariah were all out pacing and shitting on her. Even still Janet outranked her on Billboard's decade end charts at #2, while Madonna didn't even rank in the top 10. Madonna was back on the good foot with Music, which did 11 million, while AFY did 7 million. Madonna really got back up with ROL as Janet's popularity was slowly fading. They both toured in 2001/2002, Madonna grossed about $9 million more than Janet.

she genuinely believes that janet has had close no success in europe and is known because of michael ... just knows perhaps 2 three of her songs ...

She's also uninformed. Janet has 18 top ten hits in the UK. One of her hits was so massive that it hit the top ten in 1992, got remixed and re-released in 1995 and AGAIN hit the top 10. "Together Again" remains one of the UK's best selling singles, in addition to it being top 10 in nearly every European country. WHYDFML, Nasty, WITOY, TTWLG, Scream, TA, and AFY were all sizable hits across Europe. Additionally, Janet sold out ALL 34 dates of the TVR tour in Europe including the then 30,000 capacity Gelredome. She also sold out all 22 dates during the janet. Tour, and the dates during the RN1814 Tour. Keep in mind, she hit all the major cities in Europe and sold out. Janet shouldn't be selling out arenas and stadiums if she quote-unqoute "never had much success in Europe". Being Michael's sister did help her status, but it doesn't guarantee success. People aren't going to buy your music just because you're related to a bigger star. They have to like it and enjoy it.

she thinks that madonna is a better performer and an artistic genius especially when it comes to the tour creation and such stuff..

she gave me this documentary to watch to prove her point

Who is a better performer is contingent upon what each person enjoys. But the fact that ppl say the only person that can compete with Michael IS Janet speaks volumes. Madonna is nobody's artistic genius. She, just like every other artist, swallows their influences and regurgitates it to create their own lane. Her "genius" lies in her image. Her career has been based on her image, and that's what has kept her relevant over the years. She has been changing it with each album, just like Janet. All she has to do is change her hair, her make up, and wardrobe, and folks act like she's just been baptized in the Jordan. I think Madonna and Janet are about even when it comes to tours. Madonna uses overly elaborate staging to mask the fact that she lacks stage presence. You see this in artists like Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Kesha for example. Janet does the exact opposite and just has herself, her band, and the dancers. You see this in artists like Beyonce, Ciara, Usher, and Britney.

:lol: @ that "Daring" part. Thank GOD nobody does that on stage. Please show your friend Janet's "Would You Mind" performance, and then have her read this article http://globalgrind.com/music/celebrity-lap-dances-photos-videos?page=2

are there some great janet documentaries on youtube that shed light on her artistry .and such . she wants me to enlighten her..

so please post links to janet documentaries ,articles stating janet's impact and success anything you of significance ..thanks in advance

I haven't seen any interviews that specifically focus on Janet's artistry, but if you have any questions I'm sure I can find an interview for you. There are so many artists that are referencing Janet's albums, and recreating her formulas for success. It's obvious in artists like Britney, Usher, Chris Clow, Beyonce, Ciara, Christina Aguilera, J. Lo, and so many more. Janet's impact knows no boundaries. She has influenced artists, singers, dancers, choreographers, actors, actresses, and other television personalities. That said, Janet is the most successful Black female artist of all time, and only behind Madonna.

And if you need receipts for anything stated thus far, I have them.

Archived