What Makes a Great Music Video?

Reyna ♔

First and fore most the music needs to be good. Sometimes we get caught up in all the glamor surrounding an entertainer, and forgot that the song just isn't really that great.

However a good video can make you enjoy a song a little more (See Ciara's "Gimme Dat" video), but at the end of the day you will be remembered for your music.

In 2011 there are certain things your video MUST HAVE.

1. Dance - It is unacceptable now to be an artist who can't dance. How can you be a creator of music and not have any rhythm? Either take lessons or don't bother. Walking around in a music video looking cute, or on stage doing nothing won't work.

2. Fashion - You need a look. I'm not saying go Gaga crazy, but give it some STYLE. Especially rappers. Simple white tees don't cut it anymore. The gangster look is old, its tired, its boring. And every video doesn't have to be shot in a nightclub. I'm not a fan of Diddy, but if there's anything that he's taught us, it's that you can be a gangster with STYLE. He made it ok to rock the ties, the suits, the jump suits, the wrist watches, the boat cruising. Also add some ART. There are a few rappers with unique music video works of ART. (See Busta, Missy, Timberland, Pharell, Lil Kim)

3. Creativity - Just because its a slow song doesn't mean you have to put us to sleep. Artists in Japan are kicking our butts in the creative department! They're doing anime themes, space themes, fight themes, funny themes, religious themes, ect. All of Kelis's latest videos have been works of ART too.

4. Sex - I don't mean a credit card down a strippers ass crack sex. I mean raw, passionate, mind, body, and soul sex! Smooth, classy, love making. And you don't have to take your clothes off to do it people. How can you run around half naked in your video and I'm STILL NOT TURNED ON? Cause you're not doing it right!

Archived