Would you sacrifice going for something you love for money?

bu.

Right now I'm working at an accountants office but I HATE it. I hate the work. It's not something I ever wanted to do but due to employability issues in the UK it was the only job I was offered (and good pay). I'm not qualified to go further with this though (and earn even more money) as I need a professional accreditation to further a career in accountancy.

Personally I'd love to go into buying (or working with clothes in some form). This too however requires another qualification AS WELL AS a break in retail somewhere...someone needs to basically give me a job that allows me to work with clothes so I can garner experience.

I just don't know whether to sacrifice my love for clothes and want to work in retail and work my way up or to go with accounting (something I'm being pushed into by parents) but wouldn't mind doing just for the money.

Right now I'm working at an accountants office but I HATE it. I hate the work. It's not something I ever wanted to do but due to employability issues in the UK it was the only job I was offered (and good pay). I'm not qualified to go further with this though (and earn even more money) as I need a professional accreditation to further a career in accountancy.

Personally I'd love to go into buying (or working with clothes in some form). This too however requires another qualification AS WELL AS a break in retail somewhere...someone needs to basically give me a job that allows me to work with clothes so I can garner experience.

I just don't know whether to sacrifice my love for clothes and want to work in retail and work my way up or to go with accounting (something I'm being pushed into by parents) but wouldn't mind doing just for the money.

Hmm...Well right now, I don't know how the economy is over there. But I always go with following my passion. Just leave room for dissapointment and don't give up.

Hmm...Well right now, I don't know how the economy is over there. But I always go with following my passion. Just leave room for dissapointment and don't give up.

It's tough right now with spending cuts being made by the government and employers only employing the whites best. I'm convinced my name isn't helping. Do they really want someone that sounds like he could be a member of Al Qaeda? Sometimes I've thought of adding a western name to my name just to see if it helps.

It's tough right now with spending cuts being made by the government and employers only employing the whites best. I'm convinced my name isn't helping. Do they really want someone that sounds like he could be a member of Al Qaeda? Sometimes I've thought of adding a western name to my name just to see if it helps.

WOW that's fucking horrible. :mellow:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: omg i know how u feel

ugh it's tough, cuz i really love my name, but @ the same time i know ppl do think that when they look @ my resume -_-

If you have a passion for clothes then find some way.

I have a passion for food and wanted to go to culinary school to eventually become a chef and possibly open my restaurant. I know I can cook good but I wanted to further my techniques and doing so, I had to enroll at Le Cordon Bleu. The moment you get accepted you are already $40,000 in debt. Not to mention the interest that comes with it. It will take me years to pay it off but at the end of the day, this is what I wanted to do and I am having a blast.

Well if he has good fashions sense and has a Gucci man bag to hold the bombs...then why not!

• Upvote 1

Stick with ur current job...tho u hate it... Since it has good pay and this risk if u left to follow a dream is risky

You may need to change ur name to become successful Many people do it including a lot of celebs

The thing is...I could always come back to the job as it's a family company. The only problem is no one wants a reference from a family member. Pisses me off SO much.

I might call myself Brandon from now on or something. has gotsta go. I bet theres a study on what names are the most employable laugh.gif

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: omg i know how u feel

ugh it's tough, cuz i really love my name, but @ the same time i know ppl do think that when they look @ my resume sleep.gif

OMG it's a complete bitch right? laugh.gif!! UGH! So frustrating. May Osama be cursed forever!

If you have a passion for clothes then find some way.

I have a passion for food and wanted to go to culinary school to eventually become a chef and possibly open my restaurant. I know I can cook good but I wanted to further my techniques and doing so, I had to enroll at Le Cordon Bleu. The moment you get accepted you are already $40,000 in debt. Not to mention the interest that comes with it. It will take me years to pay it off but at the end of the day, this is what I wanted to do and I am having a blast.

See going for the accountancy course would put me in a £15,000 debt. Going for my dream would cost less but riskier due to no guaranteed job after. I'm so torn.

Well if he has good fashions sense and has a Gucci man bag to hold the bombs...then why not!

:lmao:!!!

The thing is...I could always come back to the job as it's a family company. The only problem is no one wants a reference from a family member. Pisses me off SO much.

I might call myself Brandon from now on or something. 'Abubakar Ahmad' has gotsta go. I bet theres a study on what names are the most employable :lol:

See going for the accountancy course would put me in a £15,000 debt. Going for my dream would cost less but riskier due to no guaranteed job after. I'm so torn.

ooooooooooh... there are studies.. and, at least for Americans, names play a role... that's why i would never name my child some ghetto name

You're worried about debt? almost every college grad in American has debt :lmao:

ooooooooooh... there are studies.. and, at least for Americans, names play a role... that's why i would never name my child some ghetto name

You're worried about debt? almost every college grad in American has debt :lmao:

I'm actually reading a study right now titled 'Are Emily and Greg more employable than Lakisha and Jamal' :lol:!!

I'm already in debt from my first degree...I'm worried about going into further debt lol.

Blah... Debt is imaginary... My student loans are up to 25k... I don't give a flying fuck right now... But I will when they make me pay em back :lol:

:lol:. Do they make you pay it back? In the UK they only take payments if you're earning above £15000.

:lol:. Do they make you pay it back? In the UK they only take payments if you're earning above £15000.

for my school, 6 months after graduation, you will have to start paying back no matter what your income is. And if for whatever reason you have to quit school, you have 30 days to pay it all back.

If you truly know what your passions and aspirations are and if the opportunity is there, however complicated or problem-prone, chase your dreams or they'll chase you back.

I had to swallow my dreams for money, and I am now choking on them.

Bu and yourself are very young... And have a long time to follow a dream... Unless ur dream was to become a model... You both shouldn't be worried about a dream

Just get ur money situated and then follow ur dreams... But have the money or support to back u up if anything happens

Bu and yourself are very young... And have a long time to follow a dream... Unless ur dream was to become a model... You both shouldn't be worried about a dream

Just get ur money situated and then follow ur dreams... But have the money or support to back u up if anything happens

What are you trying to say about Bu and I?! :umm:

No, I get you. It's not always so simple though.

• 2 years later...

I just wanted to revisit this. Three years later and I'm still at the accountancy firm. I've gone through 3 pay rises and developed A LOT of skills. I still feel like I somewhat wasted my time however I think now that in hindsight I made the right choice in sticking with it. Working here has put me in the top percentile of employability to get a job in Canada apparently - if that's the case then I'm on course to WINNING!

• Upvote 1