R&R Hall of Fame Predictions via Cleveland.com

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2016: Predicting the nominees By Troy L. Smith, Northeast Ohio Media Group

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2016 are more than likely to be announced within the next week or two. So it's time to start guessing which acts will make it on the ballot.

Solid bets:
Nine Inch Nails, which barely missed out on last year's induction ceremony, is the closest you have to a sure thing this year. N.W.A., which has been nominated each of the past three years, is a close second, especially "Straight Outta Compton" proving a huge success at the box office this past summer.

Worthy newcomer:
Of all the newly eligible acts this year, Smashing Pumpkins has the best chance of receiving a nomination. Billy Corgan's popular and highly influential band meets the all of the requirements for serious consideration for the Rock Hall.

Other newbies:
The list of other major, newly eligible acts includes A Tribe Called Quest, Blur, Ice Cube (as a solo artist), Hole, Alice in Chains and Mariah Carey. Each has a shot. But I wouldn't be too shocked if none of them made the ballot, at least not this year.

Returning contenders:
Sting received his first nomination as a solo artist last year. He'll probably be back on the ballot. The same goes for Chic, the most nominated artist in Rock Hall history. Kraftwerk is also another strong contender, considering the pioneering electronic group's influence on today's music. Also look out for War, LL Cool J, The Zombies, The Spinners, The Meters and The Marvelettes, who have all been nominated recently.

Recently deceased:
Legendary singers Joe Cocker and Ben E. King both passed away within the past 12 months, which shines a spotlight on their longtime status as Rock Hall snubs. King is already in the Rock Hall as part of The Drifters, but has been nominated twice as a solo artist. If you're wondering if passing away matters, maybe it shouldn't. But Lou Reed didn't make it in as a solo artist until after his death.

Other surprises:
The Rock Hall has a tendency to come out of nowhere with some of its nominations (Think Linda Ronstadt or Donna Summer). One name that springs to mind is Janet Jackson, who has routinely been overlooked as a solo artist and has a number of fans pushing for her induction. It's also been a little while since the Rock Hall has truly honored the heavy metal genre. Perhaps the committee goes with longtime snub Deep Purple, or finally shows Judas Priest some love. The Rock Hall also likes to have a diverse group of nominees. If they want, say, a folk artist, look for Joan Baez.

Final Predictions:
Here are the 15 acts I think will be nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2016. [Note: This is not the list of who I think should be inducted. It's a list of who I think the committee will nominate]:

N.W.A. – This is the group's year. If a major movie does get N.W.A. in, nothing will.

Nine Inch Nails – Reznor and company could win the fan ballot, pushing NIN over the top.

Smashing Pumpkins – If there's a newly eligible rock act getting nominated, this is probably it.

Sonic Youth – I'm hedging my bets on both Sonic Youth and Smashing Pumpkins being nominated. I think recent changes on the nominating committee will see more 90s acts on the ballot.

Kraftwerk – The electronic pioneers are regulars on the ballot. Don't expect that to change.

Ben E. King – King's death really shined a light on just how great he was as a solo artist.

Sting – The Rock Hall likes distinguished solo acts that are still relevant. Sting, who had a musical on Broadway last year, fits that role.

Chic – The committee will keep nominating the funk/soul pioneers until they get in (which may be in 2016).

Deep Purple - You have to appease the classic rock fans, don't you? Plus, Deep Purple was shockingly left off the ballot last year.

The J. Geils Band – So many respected artists are pulling for the 1960s/1970s rockers.

Rufus and Chaka Khan - I really, really wanted to write Mariah Carey in this spot, but that might be crazy. There's also a lot of push for Janet Jackson, who has certainly been overlooked and has a new album coming out. But Chaka Khan is the safe play for the Rock Hall in terms of big-voiced divas.

The Spinners – Either the Spinners or the Marvelettes (or both) have been nominated on the past three Rock Hall ballots.

Warren Zevon – 2016 may be Zevon's time, especially if you're looking for a singer-songwriter to make the cut.

LL Cool J – The nominating committee likes to sneak another hip-hop act in there. This spot could also go to Eric B. & Rakim or De La Soul.

Bon Jovi – This final spot was a toss up for me. I thought about Yes, War, The Smiths or The Cure. In the end, I'm going with Bon Jovi, a band that just released yet another top-20 album and has sold more records than any other act on this list.

Source link:  http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/10/rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame_pre.html

Edited by The Game Forever
Spacing and such

Janet should have been in her first year eligible. Anyone who has seen her perform (especially with the RN tour, UCAP, and the current tour) can see the rock influences. Outside of her hot 100 and mainstream rock #1 black cat, she consistently has rock influences on her albums. And the biggest pop rock artist right now, P!nk, owes a lot of her swag to the ground Janet laid. Induct, Janet!