If Janet hired you to put together a Greatest Hits disc...

iMacourey

Hey everyone,

l'm feeling a bit bored at the moment so I've pinched this idea from another forum. Now that the Unbreakable era is over, if Janet hired you to put together a single-disc Greatest Hits CD for her whilst she's busy planning her family, what songs would you include?

Remember, it's only a 80-minute disc so we're looking at 18 - 20 songs max depending on which edits you use. Yes, you must be brutal! :P

Mine would probably look something like this:

1. What Have You Done For Me Lately

2. Nasty

3. Control

4. Let's Wait Awhile

5. Miss You Much

6. Rhythm Nation

7. Escapade

8. Black Cat 

9. Love Will Never Do (Without You)

10. The Best Things In Life Are Free

11. That's The Way Love Goes

12. If

13. Again

14. Together Again

15. Get Lonely

16. All For You

17. Someone To Call My Lover

18. Feedback

19. No Sleeep

Of course I'm absolute devastated that I couldn't find space for The Pleasure Principle, Come Back To Me, You Want This, Scream, Doesn't Really Matter (even though it was a #1), Son Of A Gun & All Nite (Don't Stop)! :(

• Upvote 1

Hey everyone,

l'm feeling a bit bored at the moment so I've pinched this idea from another forum. Now that the Unbreakable era is over, if Janet hired you to put together a single-disc Greatest Hits CD for her whilst she's busy planning her family, what songs would you include?

Remember, it's only a 80-minute disc so we're looking at 18 - 20 songs max depending on which edits you use. Yes, you must be brutal! :P

Mine would probably look something like this:

2. Nasty

3. Control

4. Let's Wait Awhile

5. Miss You Much

6. Rhythm Nation

7. Escapade

8. Black Cat 

9. Love Will Never Do (Without You)

10. The Best Things In Life Are Free

12. If

13. Again

14. Together Again

15. Get Lonely

16. All For You

17. Someone To Call My Lover

18. Feedback

19. No Sleeep

Of course I'm absolute devastated that I couldn't find space for The Pleasure Principle, Come Back To Me, You Want This, Scream, Doesn't Really Matter (even though it was a #1), Son Of A Gun & All Nite (Don't Stop)! :(

that's actually a pretty solid list right there! Although I feel that since DRM was a bigger hit than STCML, that I would switch it out and put DRM in its place (maybe right before AFY actually)...

well done! ??

• Upvote 1

Although I feel that since DRM was a bigger hit than STCML, that I would switch it out and put DRM in its place (maybe right before AFY actually)...

Yeah DRM was a tricky one for me. On the one hand, it was a bigger hit than STCML as you said, and I did also think about including it over The Best Things In Life Are Free. But on the other hand, even though it was a big hit at the time I do feel like it's one of her more forgettable hits. I know the same can be said for STCML but in the end it just came down to personal preference I guess!

I did also think about replacing STCML with All Nite, so that all her naughties albums are represented* with one track.

*Disclaimer: I like to pretend that 20YO never happened! :P

Yeah DRM was a tricky one for me. On the one hand, it was a bigger hit than STCML as you said, and I did also think about including it over The Best Things In Life Are Free. But on the other hand, even though it was a big hit at the time I do feel like it's one of her more forgettable hits. I know the same can be said for STCML but in the end it just came down to personal preference I guess!

I did also think about replacing STCML with All Nite, so that all her naughties albums are represented* with one track.

*Disclaimer: I like to pretend that 20YO never happened! :P

ya know what.. I didn't even realize you put TBTILAF on there.. I'd def take that one off lol.. And in its place I would put DRM (not in the same slot tho).. I'd of course leave STCML still and I'd put DRM before AFY.. Otherwise you got a pretty flawless 1-disc greatest hits set there.. Lol 

It's probably because I'm from the UK... The Best Things In Life Are Free was a huge hit over here - in fact I think it was her highest charting hit (it peaked at #2).

ohhhh makes sense then.. For me, I'm not much of a fan of it.. It sounds too dated and just waaay to early 90's for my taste..

i damn near cringed when I found out she included it on the Unbreakable tour... Like really..? Lol there wasn't any other feel-good song that she could've played while the Littles got their moment to shine..? 

1. Pleasure principle 

2. Control

3. Rhythm Nation

4. Let's wait awhile 

5. Love will never do 

6. Again

7. If

8. That's the way love goes 

9. Nasty 

10. I get so lonely 

11. Got til it's god 

12. What have you done for me lately 

13. Comeback to me 

14. All for you 

15. Anytime any place 

16. Alright 

17. Doesn't really matter 

18. Unbreakable 

2. Nasty
  3. When I Think of You
  4. Control
  5. Let's Wait a While
  6. Miss You Much
  7. Rhythm Nation
  8. Escapade
  9. Black Cat
  10. Love Will Never Do (Without You)
  12. If
  13. Again
  14. Any Time, Any Place
  15. Runaway
  16. Together Again
  17. I Get Lonely
  18. Doesn't Really Matter
  19. All For You

Dangit, already full before Damita Jo era lol. She'd fire me because I at least need an exclusive Target deluxe edition with a special bonus disc. :P

Based on that amount of time...I'd pass, or attempt to negotiate for a long playtime Nothing pisses me off more than a Greatest Hits album for a artist with 5+ albums & a large number of hits & over 20 years of work are narrowed down to 1 "20" (at most) GH CD lol, If it's not more than 1 disk I don't have use for it and feel like you can't really get enough of a feel of the artist. I only like that kind of GH when it like represents them at a certain career time or label

Edited by jarrylf

Based on that amount of time...I'd pass, or attempt to negotiate for a long playtime Nothing pisses me off more than a Greatest Hits album for a artist with 5+ albums & a large number of hits & over 20 years of work are narrowed down to 1 "20" (at most) GH CD lol, If it's not more than 1 disk I don't have use for it and feel like you can't really get enough of a feel of the artist. I only like that kind of GH when it like represents them at a certain career time or label

Yeah I know what you mean. Obviously for artists like Janet, Madonna, Whitney, Mariah etc... who have had multiple decades of hit singles and albums, a single disc GH is never going to be able to do them justice.

But sometimes it's nice having a single CD that showcases only the best of the best. For example, I personally prefer listening to Whitney's Ultimate Collection (which was a single disc release) than her 2-CD Greatest Hits set.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it was painful for me having to omit CBTM, Scream, and GTIG. That's why Number Ones is so great -- it's a solid overview of her catalog up to that point.

Yeah I know what you mean. Obviously for artists like Janet, Madonna, Whitney, Mariah etc... who have had multiple decades of hit singles and albums, a single disc GH is never going to be able to do them justice.

But sometimes it's nice having a single CD that showcases only the best of the best. For example, I personally prefer listening to Whitney's Ultimate Collection (which was a single disc release) than her 2-CD Greatest Hits set.

I kinda wish Whitney's Greatest Hits used the original versions instead of dance remixes (at least aside from "Its Not Right..." as its remix was more popular) At least I got the original albums though.

I kinda wish Whitney's Greatest Hits used the original versions instead of dance remixes (at least aside from "Its Not Right..." as its remix was more popular) At least I got the original albums though.

I never understood why the US version of that GH included all those dance remixes. The UK/EU version with the originals was much better.

The Ultimate Janet Jackson Collection:

All of her singles + Deep Cuts

Funny How Time Flies

Lonely

Someday Is Tonight

The Knowledge

Where Are You Now

Throb

This Time

One More Chance

And On And On

Velvet Rope

My Need

What About

Free Xone

Anything

Can't Be Stopped

Feels So Right

China Love

When We Ooo

Truth

SloLove

Sexhibition

Island Life

I'd actually do a Janet version of Madonna's celebration deluxe version. PERFECTION . 

For the set list, i can't name songs but in a nutshell id just put every single she released minus the bad ones like nothing, ad a couple of new tracks and some stand out album tracks. 

• Upvote 1