Okay, about this death penality thang...

King Baby

Why do some people get it, and then people like this don't? He seems like an obvious contender and 20 years doesn't seem harsh enough.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/butcher-convicted-chopping-wife-hiding-remains-sentenced-20-years-prison-article-1.975468?localLinksEnabled=false&google_editors_picks=true

A former butcher who killed and chopped up his wife and hid her remains in a Queens park was sentenced to 20 years in prison Wednesday — as the slain woman’s sister revealed a sinister hope.

“I’m hoping that, maybe, they cut you up like you did my sister,” Marisol De Los Santos hissed at Edwin Fuentes before the plea-bargained sentence was handed down.

“Your mother must be turning over knowing she carried a demon like you in her womb. If it was up to me, you would go to hell.”

Fuentes, 44, pleaded guilty last month to choking Reina De Los Santos to death in June 2007. He copped to dismembering her body, stuffing her remains into bags and suitcases, and secreting them in a wooded area of Forest Park, near the Woodhaven home they had shared.

Queens Supreme Court Justice Gregory Lasak cut Fuentes off when he tried to suggest his wife’s relatives came between him and his wife.

“You want to go to trial?” the judge warned by way of a question. “Tell me something relevant to this sentence.”

“I’m sorry for what I’ve done,” Fuentes told the judge. “I apologize.”

Lasak was unmoved.

“It’s horrific. It’s sick,” the judge scolded. “I’ve never seen anything like this. No sentence could punish him for what he did.”

Last week, Fuentes, as a condition of his plea deal, led cops to the last of his wife’s remains that had yet to be found.

tzambito@nydailynews.com

it's not like she was ALIVE when he chopped her up :umm:

i've heard of worse crimes

He killed his wife with his bare hands and then chopped up into bite sized pieces and put her in various suit cases and scattered her through out a park.

I've seen people get the death penality to lessor offenses. 20 years seems to light. :rolleyes:

The plea deal. That's what it was. You plea guilty in exchange for a lighter sentence. Especially if plead insanity too...

A guilty plea means you don't get a trial, which means they can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt of your crime, which also means they don't see all the evidence, etc. He worked the system.

I'm sure a lot more goes into it than this though...ask Austin.

The plea deal. That's what it was. You plea guilty in exchange for a lighter sentence. Especially if plead insanity too...

A guilty plea means you don't get a trial, which means they can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt of your crime, which also means they don't see all the evidence, etc. He worked the system.

I'm sure a lot more goes into it than this though...ask Austin.

Don't you have to prove insanity beyond a doubt if you claim it now? That you're fully insane not have temporary lapses? That's what I read about a year ago.

I know about the plea.

I might ask him.

He killed his wife with his bare hands and then chopped up into bite sized pieces and put her in various suit cases and scattered her through out a park.

I've seen people get the death penality to lessor offenses. 20 years seems to light. :rolleyes:

There's about 300 seasons on basic cable about that exact same thing... Death penalty? No

Don't you have to prove insanity beyond a doubt if you claim it now? That you're fully insane not have temporary lapses? That's what I read about a year ago.

Yes.

He didn't plea insanity

That's why that part was hypothetical.

It doesn't change the fact that he copped a plea deal to soften the blow of his sentence. You're not gonna just plea out and still get the death penalty or life...he did it cause his lawyer said that's the only way he won't.

Yes.

It doesn't change the fact that he copped a plea deal to soften the blow of his sentence. You're not gonna just plea out and still get the death penalty or life...he did it cause his lawyer said that's the only way he won't.

Knew it.

I hate to admit, but his lawyer played that well. He still deserved the penalty or at least a life sentence.

Yes.

That's why that part was hypothetical.

I was asking.. I Forgot the question mark

Whole bunch of factors. One big one depends on where you're located..

The different counties in the states have the option to enforce or not enforce the death penalty if capital punishment is legal in the state. Like Gary Ridgeway the Green River Killer. Killed 48 women but because King County Washington doesn't do the death penalty he got life. Had one of those bodies been found in Pierce County Washington just 20 miles away he would have been lethally injected.

Whole bunch of factors. One big one depends on where you're located..

The different counties in the states have the option to enforce or not enforce the death penalty if capital punishment is legal in the state. Like Gary Ridgeway the Green River Killer. Killed 48 women but because King County Washington doesn't do the death penalty he got life. Had one of those bodies been found in Pierce County Washington just 20 miles away he would have been lethally injected.

Very true.

Here he avoided both, though.

Archived