Kony 2012

Reyna ♔

It's too well produced and shiny and slick, I feel like more than anything this filmmaker is out for personal glory. It's a powerful message but somehow feels artificial to me.

HIS SON GAVIN THOUGH. I AM GOING TO KIDNAP HIM IN THE NIGHT :wub:

Oh wait that was unintentionally inappropriate -_-

I get it, and I hope he's brought to justice, but I'm not getting swept up in the hype. It's kinda formed an angry mob with pitchforks who don't have all the facts and it's embarrassing reading some of the comments from people who think watching a 30-min YouTube video makes them a social activist. But if at the end of the day it helps to catch a predator then my hat goes off to them.

I asked several times on Twitter what Kony was when people were constantly tweeting about it...not one person could tell me. That to me shows that they all just jumped on a bandwagon.

It's too well produced and shiny and slick, I feel like more than anything this filmmaker is out for personal glory. It's a powerful message but somehow feels artificial to me.

This crossed my mind as well. Not necessarily the part on the filmmaker, but the production. Also, like how could they get all those photos of the guy(I could see like one or two)? It does seem like a very good cause, but there is something eerie(for lack of a better word) it seems that could be a part of this as well.

I'll be researching this more and if all findings go well, will be taking part in it to help these kids. Even if it turns out to be a lie, my heart was in the right place. But hopefully people also realize in the middle of all of this that these things happen everyday and everywhere. It's not enough to just stop one. We should be done with them all.

IC is, in my opinion, a scam. Only 31% of their $8,894,632 of donations actually reach charities. Seeing that the three owners of IC drive expensive cars and wear expensive clothes, it can be inferred that most of their revenue is spent on their personal lives. Yes, they do donate a portion of their money. However, many non-profit organizations donate so much more money, and personally, I would rather donate my money to a charity that would put all of it to use.

IC gives their 31% of the donations to support multiple troops, including the Ugandan and Sudanese troops. The Ugandan troops continue to rape and kill innocent civilians, and the Sudanese troops recruit child soldiers. Donating your money to fund rape, killing, and further the recruitment of "invisible children" is extremely bad, especially since it's what IC claims to be against.

Charity Navigator has rated IC 2 out of 4 stars on accountability. In addition, IC has refused to submit the data about their transactions to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which seems a little sketchy.

In addition, IC is teamed with the Ugandan president, President Museveni. President Museveni's cabinet members have been involved with countless scandals, whether it be financial or social. However, Museveni has defended each one, even with a large amount of evidence pointing towards their guiltiness. Though I cannot confirm the accusation that President Museveni has been involved with multiple scandals himself, I have heard multiple people say that he has (Again, don't quote me on this, because I couldn't find an article).

Obama volunteered to send 100 troops to Africa. That you are correct on. However, they weren't sent in to help. President Museveni told them that "his country did not need others to fight for them." Thus, the KONY 2012 movement to "raise awareness to make the government do something" is invalid, as the government HAS already "done something," but were turned around by President Museveni--who the IC is teamed up with.

In fact, Joseph Kony left Uganda in 2006 and has moved on to Sudan. Why, then, is IC promoting the donation of money through care packages to Uganda? Possibly (or possibly not) coincidentally, IC has been losing popularity recently. I do not have any sources to back me up on the theory that IC is promoting the capture of Kony in Uganda, who's not in Uganda, to gain more revenue, so you can think what you want on that point.

I would like to address your statement that "They weren't a scam two years ago.. Why now? Just because they made a viral video? " This is not true. Many people at my school have been aware of the fraudulence of IC for quite a while; my friend left the IC club at my school 5 years ago because of it. I think the reason why all these things are being exposed now is that many more people are talking about IC, and thus others feel the need to point out the fraudulence of the organization.

I don't mean to force your opinion on this; you can believe whatever you choose to. Just keep in mind, if you choose to donate, you should read these articles before you decide what organization to donate through.

I hope this helps to answer your question[:

Source(s):

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12429

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/children-and-youth/invisible-children-in-san-diego-ca-4469

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/history-of-the-war

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/08/uganda-museveni-obama-troops

http://allafrica.com/stories/201110100362.html

Something I found in Yahoo! answers that gives some food for thought on the subject. In general, I'm just not here for social networking humanitarians. What's going on is horrible, and at least this has brought awareness, but the whole thing seems shady, IMO. And check out this.

Archived