Uptown v. LaFace

Illi

Most Impactful Urban Label  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Label that made the most impact?

• LaFace
    • Uptown

So I was watching Life After with Andre Harrell last night and it came to the point where it was discussed the LaFace was snatching uptowns wig, e.g. Toni selling 7 million compared the Mary's 2.5 mill. However, LA Reid conceded that though LaFace had the numbers, Uptown had the impact. Do you think that's true?

I kinda agree. Though I will cherish Babyface/LA Reid songs/productions, they tend to be big followers who were able to find more marketable artists. Though most of Uptown artist had moderated success, with Mary the only one having any type of longevity, they did help mold the urban music landscape more than LaFace artist did.

That was nice of LA to say, but truth be told, Laface had the numbers and the impact. :coffee:

Uptown was influential in the creation of hip hop soul, through Mary and Jodeci. But Laface was pretty much the Motown of the 90s. Toni, Usher, TLC, Donnell Jones, Goodie Mob, Outkast, Pebbles, Pink and Ciara were all signed to laface. Uptown had a strong roster as well, but they didn't have the crossover appeal Laface had. To be honest Laface help put Atlanta on the map as a urban entertainment hot spot as well. Much of the attention Atlanta gets today comes from how huge Laface was in the 90s.

• Upvote 1

But Uptown was also a major player in the New Jack Swing movement, with Teddy Riley, Guy, and Co. However, as you said, the problem was the Uptown was never the mainstream. The label doesn't even have a number one some.