14 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Alicia Keys album

• Songs In A Minor (2001)
    • The Diary Of Alicia Keys (2003)
    • Unplugged (2005)
    • As I Am (2007)
    • The Element Of Freedom (2009)

I'm mad you didn't know about Savior!!!

Hey I love Alicia, but I aint in love with her enough to wonder about her unreleased stuff, I love her enough to when suggested to (as you see) I'll check it out lol, theres some...well alot of artist who I wouldnt even give that to.

Haha I get it. I'm like that with other artists too. But with Alicia I feel like sometimes she keeps the best tracks either unreleased or as a "bonus". Pray For Forgiveness for example is one of her best ballads...I'm mad she didn't put it on the regular of TEOF.

Ok I decided to do a song by song review of each album. I might go back to previous editions and do them too (especially since I haven't replied to some yet...eek!)

Songs In A Minor:

51O6hIQLiqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1) Piano & I - you already know how I feel about this. It's pure genius to me. I fucking love it. The way it starts of classical and then the opera like vocals come in (remind me of Candyman for some reason) and then the hip-hop beat kicks in. It's fucking awesome!

2) Girlfriend - It's a great way to start an album. A nice up-tempo where the chorus just gets ingrained into your mind. I love that they filmed the video in London – I never realised until I went on Wikipedia recently lol. Those don’t look like London streets to me haha. I love how in the middle of the video they broke down into that classical interlude. Anyway this song is hot. I love the clever play on the word girlfriend too.

3) How Come You Don’t Call Me – The first time I heard this I didn’t like it. I don’t know why but I’m glad it grew on me. Not many people can pull off doing Prince but Alicia does it so effortlessly. The soul and funk that oozes off her in this track is simply mesmerizing and so believable.

4) Fallin’ – I already said what I had to earlier. Having witnessed this song live I have to say that Alicia puts so much more soul (if that’s even possible) into it live than on the studio version. Beautiful song.

5) Troubles – my favourite from the album. I have many memories attached to this from over the years. It’s one of the few songs I go to for ‘escapism’. Most recently I remember listening to this whilst walking the streets of Oslo in the dead of the night, not knowing where I was going, and I just let go of everything…all my troubles. It’s truly got magical properties.

6) Rock Wit U – Not one I like to be honest. I like how it starts but other than that I find it boring.

7) A Womans Worth – another favourite. I often feel like this song suffered because Fallin’ doing so well. The chorus is everything! That build up and then it just stops…and she sings again. I love it. The composition is great.

8) Jane Doe – cute. A little cheesy. I remember loving it at the time. It’s forgettable amongst the others though.

9) Goodbye – this one used ot make me cry. It wasn’t until about 2005 when I learnt to love the beauty of it. I actually forgot about this until now – and it’s made me cry because I’m going through this right now. Wow. I need a moment.

10) The Life – It has a nice groove to it but…next

11) Mr. Man - :yawn:

12) Never Felt This Way – I like the piano intro to it. She sings it nicely. But to be honest the song does nothing for me.

13) Butterflyz – the album picks up again after the last 3 “fillers”. It’s so sweet. I like the simplicity of it. Her voice sounds so beautiful with just the ‘stripped back’ feel of the song.

14) Why Do I Feel So Sad? – Another song I can relate too lyrically. At times I don’t like it though and other times I do. I guess it’s one of those “Have to be in the right mood” type songs to appreciate it.

15) Caged Bird – stunning. Beautiful. Amazing. I LOVE how she switched it up during the Freedom Tour…and it made it sound so much more darker! A brilliant tour opener!

I bought the re-release the day it came out! Here’s the “new” tracks:

Songs%2Bin%2BA%2BMinor%2B%2528Collector%2527s%2BEdition%2529%2B%2528Official%2BAlbum%2BCover%2529%2BOut%2BJune%2B28.jpeg

16) A Womans Worth ft Nas – no!

17) Juiciest - I’ve always liked this since it leaked many years ago. I feel like it’s missing Missy though.

18) If I Was Your Woman (Original Demo) – It’s great to hear she was working on this song so early on especially since it’s my favourites from Diary. It sounds so different…so “country”…so “Nashville”. Does that make sense? I love this though. I prefer the Diary version obviously but I think this does Dionne proud! Alicia knows who to take someone’s song and do it justice! Is this an exact cover?

19) Ghettoman – this starts off so boring but then the chorus saves it. I like the chorus!

20) Fallin’ (Ali version) – I never liked this version of it to be honest. It feels too dramatic.

21) Typewriter – I love this! It’s pretty sexy! I love the old 60/70s vibe to it

22) Butterflyz (Drumline Mix) – no thank you

23) I Won’t (Crazy World) – cute but I see why it was left off. I think it actually really becomes a nice song once the hip-hop beat kicks in. Somehow that brings more ‘soul’ to it.

24) Girlfriend (UK Video Mix) – I don’t need to speak on it as I’ve already stated it earlier. I’m just glad they put the audio of the video version in purely for the classic interlude itself!!!

The rest are just live tracks and well Alicia always gives a great concert!

Overall, my love for Songs In A Minor has actually been renewed. It has some hot songs – and some I forgot about. I still feel it’s her “weakest” album but this can be forgive for the fact that it was her first and she was new to the game.

I'll do the rest tomorrow

I love alicia but i really have no order for fav albums because they change all the time :lol: right now TEOF is my fav but it's probably going to change in a matter of days -_-

Have you done a Sade one ? I think we already talked about her in a thread but not sure :lol: My response would be something like the one i gave on this one but i just wanna express muh love for Kiss Of Life somewhere :rolleyes:

Nope havent done a Sade 1, but she's coming, like alot of these artist, a heads up I gave TE, if anyone wants a Madonna 1, I'm not your guy, I dont know enough, like enough, or care enough about her to rundown her entire discography, I can contribute with the hand full of songs I like, but I am the WRONG person to make 1 for that chick.

Nope havent done a Sade 1, but she's coming, like alot of these artist, a heads up I gave TE, if anyone wants a Madonna 1, I'm not your guy, I dont know enough, like enough, or care enough about her to rundown her entire discography, I can contribute with the hand full of songs I like, but I am the WRONG person to make 1 for that chick.

No don't do a vadge one cuz lawd knows how nasty that would turn ._.

YAY for a Sade one :wub: :wub: :wub: I love these threads :lol: Don't post much cuz everything is always said and done but read them all :P

No don't do a vadge one cuz lawd knows how nasty that would turn ._.

YAY for a Sade one :wub: :wub: :wub: I love these threads :lol: Don't post much cuz everything is always said and done but read them all :P

Yea thats what he said too, so I'll just leave it alone until I run low on ideas, doing these twice a week does kinda speed them through, so maybe starting after next sunday I'll do them once a week (on the regular, twice a week only sometimes) so I dont run through all of my artist by like October, but I'm pretty sure I have enough through 2013 at least lol

Well thats good to hear, I'm lovin the good feedback from you guys, and how generally they're really good discussions, but with certain people I can predict, like I saw what happend in the TLC thread coming from the 1st negative post and I was ready....just like I'm ready for the Bey 1, but that wont be for a little while lol.

So I got alot in store, this Sunday will be Aaliyah, I'm thinking of either giving you guys a heads up to the next 1 so you guys can brush up on the artist discography if it's been a while, or if it's always been someone you maybe wanted to check their discography.

The_Diary_Of_Alicia_Keys_album_cover.jpg

1) Harlems Nocturne – another brilliant intro. I always loved it when she did the classical into hip-hop piano intros. I prefer Piano & I but this was dope

2) Karma – kick ass song. I love the attitude and the whole ‘fuck you’ feel to the song. Eventually I did get sick of it when it was released and overplayed lol but I’ve learnt to love it again.

3) Heartburn – this was one of my favourite from the album when I first heard it and still is. It’s so funky and I love how it translates live on Unplugged too. The other day I said it was different for a Timbo production (which I still stick too) but I realised today that when it starts I actually get reminded of Afrodisiac (the album). Is it just me? Anyway yeah hot song.

4) If I Was Your Woman / Walk On By – Ch. I don’t even know how to express my love for this song. It’s one of her best covers. I don’t think Alicia has a single bad cover. She knows how to take a song and make it her own. For the life of me I’ve never known why it’s also called Walk On By…I could never see where Dionnes Walk On By is used – or am I missing something :unsure:.

5) You Don’t Know My Name – even today this song slays. I get my life every time. There’s no “build up” or simplicity. It just kicks in straight away and from the moment those first piano notes play I am HOOKED! I fucking love this song. For a while I didn’t curr for any of the other songs because this one was in control. That phone conversation is sexy! It actually turns me on :umm:. It’s like phone sex without the sex. I love it. Alicia just has a hot speaking voice tbh. And that violin ending – so cool!

6) If I Ain’t Got You – one of the bets ballads of all time tbh. The lyrics are just so honest and beautiful. I agree with TE – this is a classic. It works at a wedding and a funeral – what song does that lol!! I dedicate it to everybody that means something to me.

7) Diary – the ultimate Alicia song. It has everything that Alicia is known for. Soul. Piano. Vocals. It’s sexy. It’s hot. It’s relaxing. I just love it. I can’t say anymore because I just have no words…but it’s definitely a song I look forward to seeing live again next time she tours.

8) Dragon Days – the first song from the album I’m not too keen on. It starts off promising but it does nothing for me.

9) Wake Up – I forgot that I liked this song. I can feel old-school soul inspirations in here…but that’s actually apparent throughout the whole album tbh.

10) So Simple – one of the best from the album. 2003 was the year when that high-pitched sampling thing (Boy, Through The Wire etc) was popular and I loved every song that did it :lol:. I still love this. I find myself grooving to it every time.

11) When You Really Love Someone – I forgot how this sounded. It’s definitely one of the forgotten ones. The piano playing reminds me of Fallin’ and A Womans Worth combined lol. I actually like this. But I wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to it – like I’d probably only listen to it when I play the album like I am today.

12) Feeling U, Feelin Me Interlude – I always loved this and wished it had become a full song. I think it would be amazing as a full song.

13) Slow Down – This is the same as When You Really Love Someone to me – not in the sense of sounding the similar because they don’t…but at how forgettable it is when you have masterpieces like Diary/IIAGY/YDKMN etc. But I actually love this one. There’s something about it that moves me inside and I can’t quite put my finger on what that is.

14) Samsonite Man – Don’t like it…never did

15) Nobody Not Really – does anyone else get Stevie Wonder vibes from this lol? I think it was 2 or 3 years ago I REALLY discovered this song. You ever had a song where you knew it and liked it all along but it took you years to really discover it and when you do it’s like you’re listening to it for the first time? This is one of those songs to me lol. The lyrics were so me around 2009/2010. Love it!

16) Streets Of New York – I never liked this. I know critically it got acclaim but it just wasn’t for me.

Overall Diary is a strong solid album. She clearly didn’t suffer the sophomore jinx and if anything I feel she was bigger than she was with her debut. Every single released is memorable and are modern day classics. This album truly put Alicia on the map and showed people that you don’t have to show skin to be interesting or cutting edge.

AliciaKeys-AsIAm.jpg

1) Intro – yay another classical/hip hop intro :D! I prefer this to the Diary one.

2) Go Ahead – a brilliant opener. I’m telling you guys – this song KILLS live!! The fucking energy in the crowd when this plays is beyond immense!!

3) Superwoman – a simple beautiful song about empowerment. I always loved this and the lyrics. I know she wrote it for the women but it makes me feel like Superman lol. I thought the video is cute with all the guest spots. Isn’t it a weird placement on the album though? It would have suited being later on in the album imo.

4) No One – A little overplayed but TE said everything I wanted to! PS No One live >>>> studio!

5) Live You’ll Never See Me Again – I remember when this leaked and everyone going on about Purple Rain :lol:. It does sound very Prince-like but we all know how much she’s inspired by him anyway. This song is gorgeous though. I love it so much and I don’t think I will ever get sick of it. It actually makes me cry sometimes lol. This song is pure genius to me.

6) Lesson learned – an absolutely stunning song. I love John Mayers appearance too! It’s one of the best songs she’s ever written. You can feel the agony and pain her voice in this – the emotion comes across well.

7) Wreckless Love – love this! It sounds like it belongs on The Diary though haha. This to me is a song that gets better with every lesson! I love the MJ reference too :lol:

8) The Thing About Love – I’m always hooked to this the moment she starts singing. This is my kind of song. Her vocals always sounded tired on this though.

9) Teenage Love Affair – such a fun song :lol:. The video was cute too. I really love this. You know whats funny is when AIA first came out I wanted this to be a single and when it became one I felt like it shouldn’t have been a single lol.

10) I Need You – this is on the same level as Go Ahead to me. I fucking love it when the ‘no no no no no noooooooooo’ starts. Once gain live >>>>>>. I wish I had a car so I could bump this loud lol.

11) Where Do We Go From Here – This song always reminded me of Lauryn Hill. It really does sound like I Used To Love Him to me. I actually forgot how much I liked this!

12) Prelude To A Kiss – one of the best songs she has written…didn’t I already say that before lol? I remember reading her book Tears For Water and this was in there and I thought – “wow…this would make a great song” and lo and behold she sung some of it lol. I hate when she sings it live – she shouts way too much. But this was the perfect lead into Tell You Something.

13) Tell You Something – I already said how I feel about this song in an earlier post and if I talk about it more I’ll cry so yeah…refer to earlier post.

14) Sure Looks Good To Me – this reminds me of something a 70s/80s rock band would do lol. Like U2 or Journey or even Freddie Mercury. It really does sound like an anthem to me and I love the inspirational lyrics.

15) Waiting For Your Love – no

16) Hurts So Bad – Cute. It’s one of those songs that starts of lame but as it proceeds it gets better and better!

17) Saviour – I always dance to this lol. Always bop my shoulders and I feel like a housewive with an apron in the kitchen dancing along to the radio whilst baking a cake.

18) Doncha Know (Sky is Blue) – A really breezy summery song. I’d expect it on a commercial or something haha. It reminds me of Corrine Bailey Rae tbh.

As I Am is a brilliant album and it truly showcases Alicia transform from a young adult to a mature woman. For the first time we see Alicia as a song writer as supposed to a piano playing singer…by this I mean that her lyrics truly shine through this time and you can tell the songs mean something. I’m not surprised why people see it as her best album. It’s my 2nd favourite. My only ‘-ve’ comments are that it sucks that only one single did well…but the fact it STILL sold well is telling a lot! Also her vocals were really hit or miss on this album. It’s like she’s not keeping her vocals in check and doesn’t get them ‘trained’ every now and again. I wish she would because I’d hate for to end up like Whitney did or like Mariah is. Anyway overall a brilliant album from an amazing artist.

• Upvote 1