Kishi's Top 20 Singles of 2013

Kishi

#1. YOUNG & BEAUTIFUL - Lana Del Rey (The Great Gatsby Soundtrack, Interscope)

2013 is the year I discovered Lana Del Rey and took interest in her music, not realizing the haunting quality of her work. "Young and Beautiful" wins because it's lyrics and arrangement creep into your head slowly but surely. The piano, violins, and drums play together sparsely in the background as she shines in the forefront with silky smooth vocals.

#2. COME & GET IT - Selena Gomez (Stars Dance, Hollywood)

Indian music is my favorite genre, so upon first listen of this song, I lost my mind during the intro: the tabla drum playing and the voice of a man humming and scaling. Stargate originally composed this song for Rihanna's Talk That Talk album, but it would have been overlooked as a single choice, so it's great that it was saved and became the first solo hit for Selena Gomez.

#3. HURT YOU - Toni Braxton & Babyface (Love Marriage Divorce, Motown)

The union of Toni & Babyface was a smart choice. These two have a history of making irresistibly catchy music. At first listen, it may seem dull, but this is the biggest grower of the year for me. Toni's voice has held up extremely well over the years and she excels. I love the groovy, mid-tempo arrangement as well as the ad-libs.

#4. DO WHAT U WANT - Lady Gaga & R. Kelly (ARTPOP, Interscope)

My expectations for ARTPOP weren't necessarily high, but I hoped for less EDM/electro-pop and more emphasis on other genres. "Do What U Want" is a blend of 80's pop, electronica, R&B, and hip-hop, which is a step in the direction I prefer. I was hesitant at the idea of Gaga collaborating with R. Kelly, but the duo aren't so bad as a team.

#5. PRIMETIME - Janelle Monae & Miguel (The Electric Lady, Bad Boy)

Harmonies. The vocals. The stripped down arrangement. These two young and talented R&B newcomers, who have clearly graduated from The Purple Institute of Prince, gave 2013 a scorching hot slow burning jam. The simplicity is sexy and I want more!

#6. IT WON'T STOP - Sevyn Streeter & Chris Brown (Call Me Crazy But, Atlantic)

This is how it should be done. I don't know whether to get freaky or light incense and meditate, but this song cannot be denied! The light production compliments the gentle and understated vocals. A winner.

#7. WRECKING BALL - Miley Cyrus (Bangerz, RCA)

Premiering the day after her now infamous VMA performance, "Wrecking Ball" completely took me by surprised not just by how vocally strong it is, but the lyrics are honest, gut wrenching, and easy to relate to. The chorus (probably the best of the year) is what takes the cake for me.

#8. ONE TWO THREE FOUR - Vishal-Shekar & Hamsika Iyer (Chennai Express, T-Series)

I'm not the biggest fan of mixing English with foreign languages. But not only is this song trilingual (Hindi, Tamil and English), it's South Indian influence and energy is infectious. Bollywood, which is based in Mumbai and mostly caters to North Indian film fans, has taken lots of inspirations from the South Indian film industries not only in it's music, but also in story lines and choreography. They should continue!

#9. LOSE TO WIN - Fantasia (Side Effects Of You, RCA)

Fantasia has the gift of singing about heartache and pain, yet making it sound so good! What makes "Lose To Win" special is that it's clearly about the downside of a relationship, the message is simple: you win some, you lose some. Somewhere through the pain, you can tell she's over it and ready to move on, because there's better out there. Definitely the best picker up-er song for anyone dealing with matters of the heart.

#10. SWEATER WEATHER - The Neighbourhood (I Love You, Columbia)

Alternative music has helped kick out the repetitive and headache inducing sounds of EDM and electro-pop. "Sweater Weather" is a mellow tune with a pulsing beat, about needing to be with someone so they can warm each other during the cold season. It makes me feel like I'm cruising down the beach in a sports car, ironically. Look forward to hearing more from this band and this sound.

#11. STAY - Rihanna & Mikky Ekko (Unapologetic, Def Jam)

After releasing what is now my favorite lead single "Diamonds", Rihanna struck gold and gave her best ballad so far. Mikky Ekko's vulnerable voice is a new and welcome addition. A somber detail of needing the one you love, it will definitely continue to be a fixture at karaoke nights and talent shows for years to come.

#12. APPLAUSE - Lady Gaga (ARTPOP, Interscope)

Her first single in over a year and a half, it was too dancey for me at first. But the catchiness of the chorus was inescapable. My favorite part of the song her spelling of "A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E" throughout the chorus and "A-R-T-P-O-P" at the end. Every Gaga song has several layers within it, masked with a loud dance beat and this is no different.

#13. KISSES DOWN LOW - Kelly Rowland (Talk A Good Game, Republic)

Miss Kelly loves sex. This should be a surprise to none by now. Except with "Kisses Down Low" and it's accompanying video, it's more fun, light, and teasing rather than being explicit and graphic. She's found her lane and is owning it.

#14. REPLAY - Zendaya (Zendaya, Hollywood)

Being in the spotlight for the last few years with being on a Disney show and almost winning the previous season of Dancing With The Stars, this beautiful 17-year-old of West African and Dutch lineage has a striking resemblance to Cassie. She also released a video similar to "Me & U". This song is beat driven, mid-tempo, and has an ambiguous nature. We're not sure if she's talking about music or sex. But this tune will get stuck in your head.

#15. HOLD ON, WE'RE GOING HOME - Drake & Majid Jordan (Nothing Was The Same, Republic)

A little Michael Jackson, a little steppers jam. Whatever inspired Drake and company to produce this track must have been great, because he gives his best vocal delivery and it appeals to a wide audience. Hopefully this is a taste of more things to come.

#16. DARTE UN BESO - Prince Royce (Soy El Mismo, Sony Music Latin)

Prince Royce is hot, so hot, but also a talented songwriter. Born in New York to Dominican parents, he's become one of the youngest successful new artists in the Latin industry. This catchy song about giving a kiss to his loved one is the biggest Latin airplay hit of the year and rightfully so.

#17. FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE - Mel B (For Once In My Life, SSB)

My favorite Spice Girl returns with her first single in 8 years, an uptempo dance track that sounds slightly dated, but gets the job done. She sounds decent and the lyrics are cliche, but it's great to have her back!

#18. HOW MANY DRINKS? - Miguel & Kendrick Lamar (Kaleidoscope Dreams, RCA)

Miguel specializes in being smooth, the only way to describe "How Many Drinks?". It reminds me of 90's R&B, yet gives me vibes of Marvin Gaye and Babyface. Kendrick Lamar appears in the video version and gives it his fresh, hip-hop charm.

#19. GORILLA - Bruno Mars (Unorthodox Jukebox, Atlantic)

Bring on the sex Bruno! Mr. Peter Hernandez takes a departure from his usual romantic ballads and delivers a Purple Rain, stadium rock inspired, baby-making anthem. Refreshing to hear him get a little dirty, a shame it didn't click with radio. I like him rough and nasty.

#20. FIRE WE MAKE - Alicia Keys & Maxwell (Girl On Fire, RCA)

In 2001, Alicia opened for Maxwell on tour. Then 11 years later, he honored her once more by making this song his first duet. Many say this is the duet that Janet Jackson and Prince should have made. It's musical intercourse.

OTHER PICKS FROM 2013

HARD OUT HERE - Lily Allen

BURN - Ellie Goulding

WE CAN'T STOP - Miley Cyrus

POWER TRIP - J. Cole & Miguel

STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM - Drake

GONE WITH THE WIND FABULOUS - Kenya Moore

BITCH DON'T KILL MY VIBE - Kendrick Lamar & Lady Gaga

INDIAN GYAL - Machel Montano & Drupatee Ramgoonai

FREAKS - French Montana & Nicki Minaj

LOVEEEEEEE SONG - Rihanna & Future

BUBBLE BUTT - Major Lazer, Bruno Mars, Tyga & Mystic

SUIT & TIE - Justin Timberlake & Jay-Z

THIEF A WINE - Kes

CYAN BOTHER WE - Lil Rick & Benjai

POETIC JUSTICE - Kendrick Lamar & Drake

I'M OUT - Ciara & Nicki Minaj

CLOSER - Tegan and Sara

TKO - Justin Timberlake

QUEEN - Janelle Monae & Erykah Badu

THE WAY - Ariana Grande & Mac Miller

MIRRORS - Justin Timberlake

SAFE AND SOUND - Capital Cities

WAKE ME UP - Avicii

TAKE BACK THE NIGHT - Justin Timberlake

HEART ATTACK - Demi Lovato

GET LUCKY - Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams & Nile Rogers

BODY PARTY - Ciara

TONIGHT - Jessica Sanchez & Ne-Yo

CAMBIO DE PIEL - Marc Anthony

HOLY GRAIL - Jay-Z & Justin Timberlake

SAY SOMETHING - A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera

DIFFERENTOLOGY - Bunji Garlin

CROOKED SMILE - J. Cole & TLC

BRAVE - Sara Bareilles

UNCONDITIONALLY - Katy Perry

TRUE LOVE - Pink & Lily Allen

RADIOACTIVE - Imagine Dragons

• Upvote 2

Lady Gaga twice B) when will your fav :coffee:

Because she's great! ;)

There's a lot of great stuff here. I recently got to know 'Sweater Weather' and I love it. :wub:

Thanks. Yasss for the "Sweater Weather" love, it caught my ear on first listen and I probably play it everyday now. :)