Chicagoist Music Video Of The Day: Janet Jackson 'Rhythm Nation'

bu.

February is Black History Month and while there are numerous events to celebrate in Chicago, we are going to take a daily moment to recognize some of our favorite exceptional black artists in music with our 'Music Video Of The Day' column this month.

The Jackson family is chock-full of talent and while we always have a soft spot for early Jackson 5 and Michael wrote some of the best pop songs to ever exist, the Jackson we keep coming back to as time goes by is Janet. Her cool and light voice, the impeccable dance moves and stage production on tour keeps us constantly revisiting Jackson's body of work year after year. The Velvet Rope sounds just as fun and fresh each summer we put it on the stereo, a perfect seasonal hit for carefree sunny afternoons. And where would pop music be without "Control" and "Rhythm Nation," one of our favorite music videos that we showcase today.

Since you apparently can't watch music videos on television anymore, we'll showcase one here daily. There's no rhyme or reason, time or season, to which video we'll choose. Have a suggestion? Contact us at tips@chicagoist.com.

http://chicagoist.co...anet_jackso.php

Yesss! Rhythm Nation is such a classic album. And is accompanied by one of the greatest music videos ever made. They don't make em like this anymore guys. No other female especially in today's music industry could pull off an album like this. I see Jonelle Monae trying but even she can't capture the mainstream audience the way that Janet so beautifully did with this album.

This was the Janet I first fell in love with, because it was all about the music, the videos, and the massage. She wasn't sexed up and she was still killing the game. She owned the industry with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

So you do that too uh? I do that and have her on Google alert.

Haha!

Google alerts is probably your best option just bc it emails you updates right away

It's fun how one story gets spun around so many times (the recent divorce stories)

I feel like if I search her everyday then maybe she'll go into the top 10 most searched or something :lmao:. Off cours I'm just one in a billion so that's unlikely lol.