Question for the UK fans

LyricalLesson

I am truly, 100% impressed with this kid's vocals...when I first heard it on some random radio station here in Spokane, WA -- I swore this was some late 90's, early 2000's alternate universe Usher song that I had shockingly never heard. When I Shazam'd it, and saw it was the scrawny kid from "The Wanted", I flipped out! Who would have known he had chops like that?! Honestly, his vocals (on THIS particular song at the very least) are FAR superior to his UK and North American Urban Pop counterparts: Chris Brown, Nick Jonas, Zayn, Sam Smith, Jeremih, Justin Bieber, etc. The runs, the falsetto, the strong chest voice, THAT BRIDGE! Haven't been this hyped about a R&B vocal in a minute.

My question to y'all...was this a hit, by any means over there in the UK? And if not...WHY?! This song (though slightly Disney-like in some regards compared to a lot of his peers' music these days) is something of a vocal clinic, a 'fuck all of y'all, I do this MUCH better' vocal showcase to virtually every young male singer out there today. Why doesn't/didn't he get shine over there?

• Upvote 1

Not from the Uk but Daley >> 

Nathan has a good voice but it lacks soul to me.

Edit: Oh and Vince Kidd. Now THAT'S someone who i really want to drop an album :wub: 

Daley is ILL, I'll give you that "Look Up" was one of THE most played songs on my mp3 player in 2004 + last year, and I wish it would have garnered more interest than it did. But...vocally...(even though Daley put it down)...Nathan Sykes shined brighter. IMO, of course. I'm not privy to who Vince Kidd is. Is he in a group as well?

I'm US, but I agree. I was VERY impressed with his vocals on this song. (I don't mind his looks either, but I digress). This actually went #1 on the US club dance charts, so it got some love here.

Wow, I had NO idea! Well, at least the song has some kind of notoriety. -_-

You know dude normally got a unibrow.. I can tell just by looking at them ?? he's got above his eyes.. ?

:lol::lol::lol: You're savage, Dal! That's messed up, lol.

I'm from the UK

never heard of it /him

Confirms my state of bewilderment...I'm shocked that a talent like this can go unheard of and unnoticed. :blink:

I just can't stand him and I think it's because he was in The Wanted. 

Is/was The Wanted...unWanted and unliked in the UK? lol :huh:

• Upvote 1

Just as a little funny anecdote..

my wife and I went to a taping of Jimmy Kimmel Live a while ago.. It was the episode that Oprah was on and gave a way a new car to some randomly chosen audience member (not us tho!).. And The Wanted was the musical guest..

Then they were about to introduce the musical guest.. Everyone was getting the stage setup and all that.. Then the band started to walk out and take their spots along their respective instruments, and when that happened my wife and I cheered hella loud (thinking this was The Wanted) and everyone looked at us like wtf?! Lol..

we realized once The Wanted actually took the stage that they were a 5-member boy band and we had never heard of them up until that point.. 

Daley is ILL, I'll give you that "Look Up" was one of THE most played songs on my mp3 player in 2004 + last year, and I wish it would have garnered more interest than it did. But...vocally...(even though Daley put it down)...Nathan Sykes shined brighter. IMO, of course. I'm not privy to who Vince Kidd is. Is he in a group as well?

No daley has a great falsetto but Nathan does have a bigger voice. My prob is that i don't feel a thing when Nathan sings, it's a good voice and that's it :lol: Daley though can make me feel something, that's why i say Nathan has no soul in his voice.

Vince isn't, he was a uk x-factor contestant YEARS ago, dropped a few covers a few tracks but never managed to drop an album -_- He kinda made urban music for the most part. 

Is/was The Wanted...unWanted and unliked in the UK? lol :huh:

They were kind of just there....but I think their personalities rubbed many the wrong way. They had hits though and I like some of their songs. But I'm never here for newbies dissing other musicians. The way they spoke about people like One Direction, you'd think they were on an Oasis success level :lol:

Edited by Dammn Bu

This was a Top 20 hit in the UK, so it did OK but nothing amazing.

I've always liked The Wanted (they were one of the more acceptable boybands of recent years IMO) and Nathan was by far the best singer in the group, but I haven't really enjoyed his solo outputs.

I do quite like what I've heard of his next single though (Give It Up) which samples my favourite Blackstreet song (Don't Leave).

• 1 month later...

Ok I didn't know I'd like his song Give It Up. I was listening to it and I bopping - didn't know who it was but I lowkey thought it was him because he has a distinct tone. I was pissed when I found out it was him but giving credit where it's due - this is catchy

• Upvote 1