In your opinion, what's the best HBCU??

Kaleidoscope Eyes

Xavier University of Louisiana. They have gotten more blacks into med school than any other university in the past 30 years. Look it up.

You may now close and lock this thread.

True tea. :yep::cheers:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oprah-Winfrey-is-greeted-by-Morehouse-College-students-Oprah-Winfrey-Dress-in-her-farewell-party.jpg

"When you empower a Morehouse Man, you empower the world." -- Oprah Winfrey

In the picture above: On her second to last show: Oprah Winfrey showcases the Morehouse Men and Men of Morehouse that she collectively call the Sons of Oprah. Over 300 men that she has helped to gain an education at Morehouse College. This is the only time during her last three shows that she would ugly cry.

Did Oprah speak at Morehouse before or after Howard? Seems like another HBCU playing second fiddle to Howard. :filenails:

All jokes aside, Howard is easily the best HBCU. The fact that it's nicknamed "The Black Harvard" (although they've really let this go to their heads :umm:) speaks to the credibility and reputation of the university. Howard is pretty well-rounded in the majors and all of the schools have a level of distinction that ranks among the national level. If you look at the HBCU inclusively, Howard outranks them all.

Did Oprah speak at Morehouse before or after Howard? Seems like another HBCU playing second fiddle to Howard. :filenails:

All jokes aside, Howard is easily the best HBCU. The fact that it's nicknamed "The Black Harvard" (although they've really let this go to their heads :umm:) speaks to the credibility and reputation of the university. Howard is pretty well-rounded in the majors and all of the schools have a level of distinction that ranks among the national level. If you look at the HBCU inclusively, Howard outranks them all.

:lol: Oprah spoke at Morehouse and became it's largest single endower in 2005. She didn't speak at Howard University until 2007. But Oprah doesn't legitmize an HBCU's legitmacy.

To claim that Howard is easily the best HBCU and outranks all other HBCU'S defiles the ranking of HBCU's that places Spelman as the number 1 HBCU. However, everyone knows that rankings weight heavily the size of school's endowments; which of course Howard's is about double the size's of Morehouse. And for those wondering why their endowment is so much more than Morehouse's currently; it's because they recieve federal funding thanks to Mordecai Wyatt Johnson, a Morehouse Man, and first African-American President of Howard University. #payhomage

And no one takes the idea of the Black Ivy's seriously; and if they did, I mean, would it be better to be called the Black Harvard; or better for Harvard to be called "The Morehouse of the North." :lol: :lol:

If you look at the societal contributions of the graduates of Morehouse College vs. the societal contributions of graduates from Howard you will see that Howard pails in comparison. It's not to say that Howard isn't a great institution, because of course it is. I love Howard University. I mean, I was even the 2006 President of Howard's Summer High School Program. :filenails:

:lol: Oprah spoke at Morehouse and became it's largest single endower in 2005. She didn't speak at Howard University until 2007. But Oprah doesn't legitmize an HBCU's legitmacy.

To claim that Howard is easily the best HBCU and outranks all other HBCU'S defiles the ranking of HBCU's that places Spelman as the number 1 HBCU. However, everyone knows that rankings weight heavily the size of school's endowments; which of course Howard's is about double the size's of Morehouse. And for those wondering why their endowment is so much more than Morehouse's currently; it's because they recieve federal funding thanks to Mordecai Wyatt Johnson, a Morehouse Man, and first African-American President of Howard University. #payhomage

And no one takes the idea of the Black Ivy's seriously; and if they did, I mean, would it be better to be called the Black Harvard; or better for Harvard to be called "The Morehouse of the North." :lol: :lol:

If you look at the societal contributions of the graduates of Morehouse College vs. the societal contributions of graduates from Howard you will see that Howard pails in comparison. It's not to say that Howard isn't a great institution, because of course it is. I love Howard University. I mean, I was even the 2006 President of Howard's Summer High School Program. :filenails:

When you look at the grand scheme of things, Howard does outrank all of the other HBCUs. Yes other HBCUs are more skilled in certain areas, but no other school is as well-rounded as Howard. Just look at our alumni list. There's a good amount of successful people who come from arts and sciences, business, engineering, and architecture just to name a few. Might I add that the Howard business school was ranked as the #1 business school for minorities in the nation.

The idea of Black Ivy leagues isn't taken seriously by lesser HBCUs. Why? Because they pale in comparison. The others aren't seen as being in the level of "The Mecca", or "The Black Harvard" if you will. They aren't premiere schools that are deemed culturally or historically relevant. What other HBCUs have been mentioned in songs, "...make sure I don't miss the homecoming at Howard..."?

And if we're speaking on contributions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Howard_University_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Morehouse_College_alumni

It's clear whose alumni have been more productive members of society. There's clearly no comparison. Howard outranks them all inclusively.

When you look at the grand scheme of things, Howard does outrank all of the other HBCUs. Yes other HBCUs are more skilled in certain areas, but no other school is as well-rounded as Howard. Just look at our alumni list. There's a good amount of successful people who come from arts and sciences, business, engineering, and architecture just to name a few. Might I add that the Howard business school was ranked as the #1 business school for minorities in the nation.

The idea of Black Ivy leagues isn't taken seriously by lesser HBCUs. Why? Because they pale in comparison. The others aren't seen as being in the level of "The Mecca", or "The Black Harvard" if you will. They aren't premiere schools that are deemed culturally or historically relevant. What other HBCUs have been mentioned in songs, "...make sure I don't miss the homecoming at Howard..."?

And if we're speaking on contributions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Howard_University_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Morehouse_College_alumni

It's clear whose alumni have been more productive members of society. There's clearly no comparison. Howard outranks them all inclusively.

That's all I needed. Like I said earlier, I wasn't discrediting Howard University. I actually love Howard University, and as mentioned earlier was the President of their high school summer program. I also earned a full ride for them, but turned it down to attend Morehouse College, which is also deemed as a "Black Ivy," which is taken as a grain of salt by everyone, even at these so called "Black Ivys" except those students who are inferior and subpar. Truth be told, Howard, Morehouse, Spelman, Hampton, nor any school has anywhere near the endowments or the output that a school like Harvard, Yale, or Stanford has.

And you are making Howard look bad. "What other HBCU can say they were mentioned in a Ludacris son?" :blink: I hope that's not the most prideful thing that you have in your institution. I mean Morehouse has been in movies & television shows. Hell, even the Oprah show. It's no big deal to us. :filenails:

But what is remarkable is that Morehouse as an institution does comparable things if not more commendable things than Howard who gets more from the federal government than Morehouse's entire endowment. I mean, even your own alum, Ambassador Andrew Young said in his appearance this semester with Salman Rushdie that "No one institution has done more to advance society than Morehouse College."

I mean, I don't make these things up. It is what it is. Kudos to you and Howard though. Hopefully outside of the homecoming that Ludacris said that everyone can't miss, they've prepared you to be successful in this world. After all, that is what is the most important aspect of college, huh?

That's all I needed. Like I said earlier, I wasn't discrediting Howard University. I actually love Howard University, and as mentioned earlier was the President of their high school summer program. I also earned a full ride for them, but turned it down to attend Morehouse College, which is also deemed as a "Black Ivy," which is taken as a grain of salt by everyone, even at these so called "Black Ivys" except those students who are inferior and subpar. Truth be told, Howard, Morehouse, Spelman, Hampton, nor any school has anywhere near the endowments or the output that a school like Harvard, Yale, or Stanford has.

And you are making Howard look bad. "What other HBCU can say they were mentioned in a Ludacris son?" :blink: I hope that's not the most prideful thing that you have in your institution. I mean Morehouse has been in movies & television shows. Hell, even the Oprah show. It's no big deal to us. :filenails:

But what is remarkable is that Morehouse as an institution does comparable things if not more commendable things than Howard who gets more from the federal government than Morehouse's entire endowment. I mean, even your own alum, Ambassador Andrew Young said in his appearance this semester with Salman Rushdie that "No one institution has done more to advance society than Morehouse College."

I mean, I don't make these things up. It is what it is. Kudos to you and Howard though. Hopefully outside of the homecoming that Ludacris said that everyone can't miss, they've prepared you to be successful in this world. After all, that is what is the most important aspect of college, huh?

Well you can't compare the HBCUs with schools that have upwards of 3 or 400 years of service to America. That just doesn't make any sense. Not to mention it's Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. :mellow: The three schools that consistently rank in the top 10 - or even top 5 - on Newsweek every year. :umm::lol: You may not think Black Ivy's aren't taken seriously, but based on the exposure Howard gets to ivy league schools, I would say that Howard is definitely taken as the premiere Black university. Professors from ivy leagues have all come to Howard to study, to recruit, etc students from Howard to participate, study, research, etc at those ivy schools. Seen time and time again. That may come as a result of being in such close proximity to those ivy league schools, but it is what it is.

And you obviously took the superficiality route of the Ludacris quote. As someone who is on their way to passing the bar (:cheer:), I hoped that you'd see beyond the denseness of that statement, but it's clear that failed. -_- But maybe when you think about it, it'll hit you. ;)

At the end of the day, all I'm saying is that Howard is perhaps the most well-rounded school when it comes to HBCUs. Degree programs, the Northern/Mid-Atlantic location, the prestige, the social life, and the benefits of having "Howard University" on the resume, are all ingredients to making Howard superior to the rest.

Well you can't compare the HBCUs with schools that have upwards of 3 or 400 years of service to America. That just doesn't make any sense. Not to mention it's Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. :mellow: The three schools that consistently rank in the top 10 - or even top 5 - on Newsweek every year. :umm::lol: You may not think Black Ivy's aren't taken seriously, but based on the exposure Howard gets to ivy league schools, I would say that Howard is definitely taken as the premiere Black university. That may come as a result of being in such close proximity to those ivy league schools, but it is what it is.

And you obviously took the superficiality route of the Ludacris quote. As someone who is on their way to passing the bar (:cheer:), I hoped that you'd see beyond the denseness of that statement, but it's clear that failed. -_- But maybe when you think about it, it'll hit you. ;)

At the end of the day, all I'm saying is that Howard is perhaps the most well-rounded school when it comes to HBCUs. Degree programs, the Northern/Mid-Atlantic location, the prestige, the social life, and the benefits of having "Howard University" on the resume, are all ingredients to making Howard superior to the rest.

Well you can't compare the HBCUs with schools that have upwards of 3 or 400 years of service to America. That just doesn't make any sense. Not to mention it's Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. :mellow: The three schools that consistently rank in the top 10 - or even top 5 - on Newsweek every year. :umm::lol:

Well, that's what it means to be an Ivy League, being at the top of the game. :unsure:

You may not think Black Ivy's aren't taken seriously, but based on the exposure Howard gets to ivy league schools, I would say that Howard is definitely taken as the premiere Black university.

Howard gets exposure from Ivy League schools because it has a boatload of African-Americans and other minorities that can help with their diversity efforts. Same as Morehouse and any other HBCUs that get heavily recruited. But to say that Howard is at the top of the recruitment game is laughable because clearly according to the Wall Street Journal and it's list of Top 50 Feeder Schools, which means the 50 best schools in the nation to go to if you want to get into the highest rated Masters, Doctorate, Law, Medical, and any other professional schools, Morehouse seems to get the most exposure to Ivy League Schools, as they were #29 on the list of 50; and the ONLY HBCU on the list.

That may come as a result of being in such close proximity to those ivy league schools, but it is what it is.

What Ivy League is near Washington, D.C.? :blink:

And all I'm saying, unless you got some facts or figures to back up your sentiments; your argument doesn't hold up at all. I mean the Wall Street Journal doesn't agree, Washington Monthly doesn't agree, Huffington Post doesn't agree, Fobrs doesn't agree, Newsweek and Kaplan doesn't agree. It's like besides those who rank based upon endowment, who agrees with your statement?! :blink:

Archived