In your opinion, what's the best HBCU??

Kaleidoscope Eyes

I always wish I had gone to a historically black college. I'm from Cali, and there's no HBCU's out west and I didn't wanna to too far east away from my family and friends. However, I think it would've been a positive, enriching experience to be amongst other young black men and women like myself. My first choice would've been Howard but I here the area it sketchy. I wanted to go with Morehouse but the tuition is fucking high and the atmosphere on campus is rather snooty, from what I've heard.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spelman as being a good school Austin, not me actually wanting to go there...

Spelman is a very good school. It actually outranks Howard and Morehouse nationally. But its an all girls school, so that poses an issue for the men. :lol:

Overall though, Spelman, Morehouse, Howard and Xavier seem to be the ones I hear the most positive things about. Hell, the first three are damn near Icons in the black community.

I'm stating that I'm a little biased because I went to Howard Austin... not stating that Spelman is one of my choices for schools I would have attended but stating that Spelman would be one of my choices as a top school.

Historically black colleges? :unsure: You guys differentiate between who goes where? :huh:

There was a time when black students couldn't go to the same universities as everyone else, so HBCU's were created so black students could also get an education. Today people of any race can go to an HBCU

There was a time when black students couldn't go to the same universities as everyone else, so HBCU's were created so black students could also get an education. Today people of any race can go to an HBCU

Yes and each huge white state school has a black counterpart under seperate but equal.

For instance, University of Maryland Eastern Shore is the black version of University of maryland College Park.

Its called land grant institutions.

I was berfed at one. The greatest HBCU of all. UMES. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Xavier University of Louisiana. They have gotten more blacks into med school than any other university in the past 30 years. Look it up.

You may now close and lock this thread.

Doesn't the fact that I attended UMES hold any weight with you XU or all you consider is these 'blacks that go to med school'? :unsure:

Doesn't the fact that I attended UMES hold any weight with you XU or all you consider is these 'blacks that go to med school'? :unsure:

Well that one of the many things that stands out about the university. I was a business grad, but I liked the small classes, helpful instructors, focus on learning not partying, and career advice I recieved.

I don't know enough about this UMESS (typo but it stays, lol) to comment on them as a school.

Of course, I am a bit bias, but I would have to say Morehouse College, as a 2011 graduate.

It's the only school in the country to produce a Nobel Prize Winner, Olympic Gold Medalist, and a namesake of a national holiday, Rhodes Scholar.

It's also the only HBCU to be featured on Wall Street Journals Top 50 Feeder Schools list, which means the best 50 schools to go to in order to get into top notch business schools, law schools, med schools, and Ph.D. programs; as well as Huffington Post's Most Grueling Schools.

And I mean, just look at our alumni roll call. It's like, lay your degrees down. :lol:

Archived