The Official JJ Concert Review Thread

Reyna ♔

Janet Adds New Show!

It’s out of ‘Control’! Due to overwhelming demand, pop superstar Janet Jackson has added more dates to her highly anticipated Australian Tour.

According to her website, Michael Jackson’s little sister will be extending her ‘Up Close And Personal’ tour at Melbourne’s State Theatre to October 29, after her first two shows at the venue sold out.

Janet Jackson gives Cincinnati a No. 1 show

This will be the show that Janet Jackson brings to her inevitable multiyear Celine Dion-style Las Vegas residency sometime in the future, maybe 2015 or 2020 or so.

Jackson put forth at PNC Pavilion Thursday night a performance that seemed to concede that her hitmaking heyday is in the past. There weren’t obligatory new songs, no automatic built-in opportunities for patrons to sneak off and grab a fresh light beer.

Instead, she opened her songbook to the best parts and aimed to please. The selections in the pop singer’s 90-minute show were number-one hits on one chart or another, in one country or another. The tour, called “Number Ones: Up Close and Personal,” is an extension of the concept of her 2009 best-of two-disc CD “Number Ones,” programmed in the same chart-toppers-only manner.

And though there was a certain nostalgic tinge to many of the songs – some of those sweet Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis-produced Janet hits are a quarter-century old – there was nothing nostalgic about the energy and immediacy of the performance. Jackson, 45, and her merry troupe of seven dancers did choreographed routines throughout nearly the whole show, keeping the audience engaged. (A venue representative said the 4,100-seater was nearly sold out. There were a few empty rows in the back corners of the pavilion.)

Backed by an eight-piece band of keyboard players, a guitarist, a drummer and backup singers, Jackson performed her hit songs in bunches of medleys. It kept things moving. These are pop songs, after all. All that’s needed is a minute or so of each and a dance beat.

• Photos: Janet Jackson through the years

The show opened with a medley of “The Pleasure Principle” into “Control” into “What Have You Done For Me Lately” (all from the 1986 album “Control) into 2007’s “Feedback” into “Alright” from the 1989 smash “Rhythm Nation 1814.”

Jackson sported an all-black outfit accessorized with a white denim jacket – sleeves rolled up. She donned a headset microphone, freeing her hands for the dance routines. She wore her hair back. Miss Jackson, as always, looked good.

“We’re just getting started, y’all,” cried Jackson at the end of the medley. Good thing, because at that point she was only eight minutes into the show.

She then launched into “Miss You Much” – her finest hour from “Rhythm Nation” – and from that point on, she was rolling. The only thing that stopped her was her. Jackson went backstage a couple of times for breaks lasting a few minutes each, while the band vamped or videos played on the screen. These weren’t for wardrobe changes; she stuck with the all-black look. She probably needed a breather from the dancing.

Another breather came in the form of a four-song block of ballads in the middle of the show. She sat on a stool, lost the headset and sang into a handheld mic.

After that, it was back to fast tempos, choreographed dancing and classic tunes, like “Escapade,” “Love Would Never Do Without You” and “Black Cat.” It culminated with “Scream,” the 1995 single she did with her late brother Michael.

“I want to thank you guys of all the love and support,” she told the crowd afterward. “Not just for me but my entire family.”

Janet Jackson, gifted vocalist and hellified hoofer, gets "Up Close and Personal" at the Orpheum Theatre

Janet Jackson never had much range, yet always made up for it with some of the most gifted phrasing this side of Smokey Robinson. It’s held her in, to say the least, excellent stead. That and her bell-like clarity. Since 1982’s debut Janet Jackson, yielding the sultry anthem “Come Give Your Love to Me,” she’s prevailed, an R&B artist of singular consequence, velvet vocals ensconced in snake-hipped ambiance, largely courtesy of producing team Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Charting multi-platinum, Jackson is an industry unto herself.

The veritable goddess graced Minneapolis’ Orpheum Theatre July 19th, swinging through on her international Number Ones, Up Close & Personal tour, performing to, of course, a packed auditorium: you couldn’t get anyone else in the 2,400+ house with a shoehorn.

Like the tour’s title says, it’s a concert of Jackson performing her best-selling singles. And it’s well done. Slick, a bit of a ripoff, but, hell, you get some pretty good music. Too bad there weren’t fewer videos and more Janet Jackson live in the flesh (after all, you can watch videos at home for free instead of spending between $67.50 and $199). A troupe of dancers doubled background for Jackson and as filler when she cooled her heels offstage between some of the songs. Between the video after video and drawn-out choreography, Jackson maybe sang half the night. When she did, though, the woman made magic.

Jackson's pitch wavered on “Let’s Wait a While.” In fact, it was wobbly. Other than that, she was dead-on and her full-head-of-steam prowling around the stage mesmerized. Her band isn’t much to write home about: great technicians who recreate the studio sound on stage but don’t exactly play with a world of feeling. As well, the formulaic choreography—even when the constantly whirling, strutting, and gyrating Jackson was at her most alluring—soon began to get old. By the end of the night it was actually repetitive. There were moments that waxed downright eerie. For instance, while she can’t move like Michael did, you can tell by the way her body turns almost liquid that her brother wasn’t the only hellified hoofer in the family.

Jackson’s set list skipped all her early stuff and stuck close to albums like Rhythm Nation 1814, Discipline, and The Velvet Rope for cuts like “The Pleasure Principle,” “Control,” “What Have You Done for Me Lately,” and “Nasty.” On the down side, she pretty sang note for note what was on the records. On the other hand, they were some damned good records. With an encore of “Diamonds” and “The Best Things in Life Are Free,” the evening was a tidy 90 minutes that began and ended on time.

When you see Jackson in an arena, from all but the best cheap seats she’s just a dot roving around the stage and you wind up with a stiff neck from watching a gigantic television screen. This was a rare opportunity to get a good look at an icon. And, slick ripoff or not, a memorable look at Janet Jackson.

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/arts/janet-jackson-orpheum-theatre-review

GAME'S REVIEW

I went to see Janet for the 2nd time in my life but in my hometown of Cleveland. (I wasn't born in Cleveland.. that was just a writing effect).

I picked up my tickets around 5 at "will call"... i walked through "gun down blvd." to get them so i can avoid the 3 dollar parking. Time was moving so slowly for the next few hours. We left the house at 8:00. There were a lot of people there. It was near capacity. It was a mixed crowd, mostly young adults (25 and up)... I think i was the youngest LOL... mixed races... 50/50 I'd say.... a lot of love in the audience for sure. The person sitting next to me was annoying.. but he's a Janet fan.. I had to spoil it for him... i told him what song she was opening up to...

OOOO and the background.. Was the city of cleveland... she was right on the water (river) and the city lite up behind her...

Janet was on CPT. She started around 9:20-9:30... She came out electrifying... to TPP... Her voice and dance moves were sooo good.. soo smooth... she danced more than Britney Spears (my boyfriend said), I concurred... Janet did her thing and the crowd LOVED them some JANET JACKSON...

I rate this show 3/5... I know it was low-budget.. no costume changes, no pyro... which is why i knocked off .5

but i was triple disappointed she didn't perform MAKE ME & IGL... but she did BEST THINGS & DIAMONDS :&

Janet Jackson: Still the queen

Janet Jackson’s career has gone through many stages. She started as a child actress with minor roles on TV before breaking out of her family’s shadow with her 1986 album, “Control.” In the 25 years since that album’s release her career has hit dizzying highs and Super Bowl derailing lows. Sunday night she reminded 8,900 fans at the Iowa State Fair just how high those highs were.

Jackson is touring in support of her 2009 greatest hits, “Number Ones,” focusing on her 33 chart-topping singles. The show touched on songs from every era of her career (minus her first two albums), though not always the full versions. During portions of the show Jackson ran through medleys of her hits, hitting the most familiar portions of songs like “You Want This,” “All Right With Me” and “Miss You Much.” She also did a portion of”Scream,” her duet with her brother Michael, with the late singer appearing on the giant video screen behind the stage.

Disappointingly, some songs were handled purely by the backup singers, like “Got Till It’s Gone” and “Any Time, Any Place.”

The show was a stripped down version of the grandeur of past productions like her “Velvet Rope” tour. Seven dancers, five musicians and three backup singers joined her on stage. There were no costume changes, and Janet left most of the heavy dancing to her dancers. But that freed her up in the singing department, making for a pop show where the singer actually was singing her own songs. Strong live vocals win out of heavy choreography any day.

There were video segments running through Jackson’s acting career, including a very dark clip from the sitcom “Good Times,” a scene as Willis’s sister on “Different Strokes,” a raunchy exchange between herself and Tupac Shakur in “Poetic Justice” and a powerhouse scene from “Why Did I Get Married?”

She ran through her slower love songs together, alone on the stage without her dancers. “Nothing,” “Come Back to Me,” “Let’s Wait Awhile” and “Again.” It was a nice quieter stretch mixed in with her livelier songs.

If you were hoping for some more less known tunes or even hits like “Black Cat,” this wasn’t the show for you. This was a Janet Jackson sampler, designed to keep things moving. Ms. Jackson clearly knows how to work a crowd, and they showered her with affection. A number of artists have been tagged with the honorific “Queen of Pop” title over the years, but Jackson’s longevity and body of work make it clear that she is worthy of it.

Source: http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/08/21/janet-jackson-still-the-queen/

Kansas City

Review: Janet Jackson

Janet Jackson’s Number Ones Tour will be remembered for several things, most notably how it portrayed her hit-studded career, now in its fourth decade. For more than 90 minutes, Jackson rained hits and favorite songs upon an affectionate crowd of about 7,000 fans at Starlight Theater. It was a can’t-miss formula.

But the show was also notable for what it wasn’t. Unlike her October 2008 spectacle at the Sprint Center, this show wasn’t lavish or loaded with visual treats or special affects. There wasn’t even an opener. Or a wardrobe change. For the entire night, the headliner wore a black tank top, black jeans and black boots.

She was backed by six dancers, three backup singers and a five-piece band. A large video screen behind the band broadcast a variety of images: some of her most famous music videos; some of her more famous roles in TV and movies (including the salacious scene with Tupac Shakur from “Poetic Justice”); and old photos, including some of her late brother).

Other than that, her only devices were her songs and her dancing, which stopped only during a few brief interludes and during the mellow segment of the show. She is 45 but still graceful and athletic; and she can still pull off some of the more memorable moves from her videos.

The tour is based on the release of 2009’s “Number Ones,” her second greatest-hits compilation, and she touched upon most of that album. The show was primarily a progression of medleys, though some songs were featured longer than others. It caused some bumpiness in the flow now and then, but that’s a minor complaint. A larger complaint: the sound, which was rough from start to finish and not at all what Starlight can deliver on its best nights.

As she has done in each city on the tour, she opened the show by dedicating a song to Kansas City: “What Have You Done For Me Lately.” After that video was aired, she and her band appeared and bounced and bobbed into “The Pleasure Principle,” then “Control.”

As much as she moved and danced/pranced across the stage, it would seem that some lip-synching would have been necessary. At least from where I was sitting, that didn’t appear to be the obvious case, though she may have been singing live with some pre-recorded help.

Not that it mattered. This was a celebration of a star whose music and personae, like her brother’s, draws a crowd that crosses every demographic line: age, race, ethnicity. They showered her all night with affection: dancing in the aisles, singing-along, cheering each song. On a night like this, all the satellite stages, drawbridges, flashpots and wardrobe glamour in the world wouldn’t have outsparkled what shone on this night: one woman’s long and impressive music career, cast vividly in all its funky, soulful and melodic glory.

Setlist: The Pleasure Principle; Control; What Have You Done for Me Lately; Feedback; You Want This; Alright; Miss You Much; Nasty; Nothing; Come Back to Me; Let’s Wait Awhile; Again; Doesn’t Really Matter; Escapade; Love Will Never Do (Without You); When I Think of You; All For You; That’s the Way Love Goes; Scream; Rhythm Nation; Diamonds; The Best Things in Life Are Free; Together Again.

| TImothy Finn, The Star

Source: http://backtorockville.typepad.com/back_to_rockville/2011/08/review-janet-jackson.html

State Fair Grandstand Review: Adoring crowd gets taste of Jackson

Janet Jackson’s career has gone through many stages. She started as a child actress with minor roles on TV before breaking out of her family’s shadow with her 1986 album, “Control.” In the 25 years since that album’s release her career has hit dizzying highs and Super Bowl derailing lows. Sunday night she reminded 8,900 fans at the Iowa State Fair just how high those highs were.

Jackson is touring in support of her 2009 greatest hits album, “Number Ones,” focusing on her 33 chart-topping singles. The show touched on songs from every era of her career (minus her first two albums), though not always the full versions. During portions of the show Jackson ran through medleys of her hits, hitting the most familiar portions of songs like “You Want This,” “All Right With Me” and “Miss You Much.” She also did a portion of “Scream,” her duet with her brother Michael, with the late singer appearing on the giant video screen behind the stage.

Disappointingly, some songs were handled purely by the backup singers, like “Got Till It’s Gone” and “Any Time, Any Place.”

The show was a stripped down version of the grandeur of past productions like her “Velvet Rope” tour. Seven dancers, five musicians and three backup singers joined her on stage. There were no costume changes, and Janet left most of the heavy dancing to her dancers. But that freed her up in the singing department, making for a pop show where the singer actually was singing her own songs. Strong live vocals win out over heavy choreography any day.

There were video segments running through Jackson’s acting career, including a very dark clip from the sitcom “Good Times,” a scene as Willis’s sister on “Different Strokes,” a raunchy exchange between herself and Tupac Shakur in “Poetic Justice” and a powerhouse scene from “Why Did I Get Married?”

She ran through her slower love songs together, alone on the stage without her dancers. “Nothing,” “Come Back to Me,” “Let’s Wait Awhile” and “Again.” It was a nice quiet stretch mixed in with her livelier songs.

If the crowd had been hoping for some less well-known tunes or even hits like “Black Cat,” this wasn’t the show for it. This was a Janet Jackson sampler, designed to keep things moving. Ms. Jackson clearly knows how to work a crowd, and it showered her with affection. A number of artists have been tagged with the honorific “Queen of Pop” title over the years, but Jackson’s longevity and body of work make it clear that she is worthy of it.

Source: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110822/ENT/308220057/?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Review: Janet Jackson sparks a rush of nostalgia

By Amanda Ash, Vancouver Sun

Janet Jackson

When: Friday night

Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre

When you’ve got 34 number one songs to your name, you’re allowed to celebrate any way you want.

As the title of Janet Jackson’s current Number Ones: Up Close & Personal tour suggested, the 45-year-old R&B pop star chose to look back at her fertile career with a wine-and-sweatpants type of affair rather than an elaborate princess party. The iconic artist, born Janet Damita Jo Jackson, reveled in retrospective glory simply by hanging out with her closest fans in Vancouver’s living room. All that was missing was a tub of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream.

Jackson, often singularly known as Janet, brought her hits and her swagger to Queen Elizabeth Theatre Friday night, but it was an experience decidedly different than any of her standard live show spectacles. Janet could’ve easily swept us away with opulence, going the route with flying dancers and blazing fireworks, exotic stage setups and sexy costumes. Instead the Gary, Indiana-born songstress opted to put herself in the spotlight first and foremost.

Janet’s intention for the tour was to unplug. She wanted to perform in intimate settings for every stop on her largest international jaunt ever and stoke the embers of nostalgia. And overall, it was probably a smart move.

Janet sang exclusively from 2009’s Number Ones, a double-disc album that features her 34 number one singles that topped charts everywhere from North America and Europe to Japan and South Africa. Not only was it Janet’s way of looking back on her illustrious reign as the hip-swiveling Queen of Pop, but it was also a means of re-connecting with a fan base that really hasn’t heard anything new from her since 2008’s Discipline.

The audience consisted of both young and old, although the 20-somethings seemed to be the most enthused of the bunch. As an appetizer for the show, the video for Miss You Much, from the album Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814, played on a big screen. Janet dedicated it to the city of Vancouver (she dedicated one song to each stop) and stilettoed fans screamed their thanks, pointing their fingers in the air as they danced along.

Janet, looking casual but lovely in a black tank and black jeans, was welcomed to the stage by a wall of cheers. The sound was deafening. The fans were unconditionally devoted to their Janet, so they weren't fazed when there was no opener for the show. It was all Janet for 90 minutes. Heaven.

As would be expected, the hits proved they had lives of their own. The Pleasure Principle, Control, What Have You Done For Me Lately, Feedback, Alright, Escapade--Janet lobbed them out one-by-one. It wasn't clear whether she was lip synching or not, but she did sound good. Not that it mattered to the fans. After becoming so entangled with the audience’s memories and emotions over the past 30-odd years, the songs practically sung themselves. All Janet had to do was smile her sweet smile and let her (still!) tight dance moves handle the rest.

One big let down, however, was the completely rushed feeling of the show. The songs weren't always performed in their entirety; Instead, snippets of each were pasted together in an extended medley that never paused, save for a few short interludes. At some points, it felt like Janet tried to shove too many eggs in her basket, often mangling them and creating one giant goopy pile.

However, listening to Janet punch out each song was incredible. You forget how many hits Janet has had, and how many lyrics you know by heart. As a woman who championed her sexuality, pioneered pop music and figured prominently in popular culture, it’s no wonder Michael Jackson’s little sister has been ranked as one of the top ten best-selling artists in the history of contemporary music.

Although the show was humble by comparative standards, there was no shortage of dancing. It was really impressive (let's see you dance like that in 15 years, Britney). Janet, accompanied by six backup dancers, popped and locked her way around the stage almost the entire night, save maybe for when she sat and performed Nothing, Come Back To Me and Again. She has a delicate wisp of a voice, but it carried a world of emotion.

The height of Janet's saintly status was evident in the little stationary bunny-hop fans did out of pure excitement throughout the night. Their idol had paid them a visit, and they were more than happy to reminisce about the good ol' days.

Nothing but love for Janet Jackson at McCaw Hall

At Janet Jackson's well-oiled, sold-out, 90-minute show at McCaw Hall Monday night, the 45-year-old performer dedicated her hit "Nasty" to Seattle. Jackson is on a 35-city tour, showcasing her 35 No. 1 hits, which include "Rhythm Nation," "Miss You Much" and "Again."

At each of the 35 stops on Janet Jackson's current tour, the pop megastar dedicates one of her 35 No. 1 hits to the city of the night. No word on why we got "Nasty," but no one was complaining about that or anything else at Jackson's well-oiled, sold-out, 90-minute show at McCaw Hall Monday night. It was a "best of," giving a nostalgic quick-cut look at Jackson's career.

The 45-year-old performer, leading a band and seven dancers, zipped through dozens of songs from her 2009 album "Number Ones." It was great to hear "Miss You Much" all the way through and groove on "Rhythm Nation." But other songs appeared only fleetingly. It would have been nice to take longer looks at hits such as "What Have You Done For Me Lately."

Jackson split the show into four parts, with an intimate ballad section in the middle. The sound levels made it hard to hear her at times. Only on an intimate number like "Again" did her strong, girlish voice cut through.

The musical sections were spliced with video clips from some of Jackson's acting moments (including her delightfully sassy turn in "Poetic Justice") and a sexy photo montage.

As a woman who has never been afraid to strut her sexuality, her oh-no-you-didn't dance moves are always a delight. "If's" crotch grabbing and finger licking were classic Ms. Jackson (if you're nasty).

The tour is billed as Up Close And Personal. And yes, McCaw Hall is decidedly more intimate than Jackson's usual arena stops; costumes were simple and theatrics kept to a minimum. But there was still a raucous light show and a sense of every moment being perfectly scripted. Jackson hardly spoke, instead connecting via a few meaningful audience stare-downs.

The most genuine intimacy came at the end as Jackson, toying with her glittery suspenders, reminded the crowd that Monday would have been her brother Michael's 53rd birthday.

"Thank you all for all your support," she said. "Not just for me but for every member of my family."

The fans roared deafeningly, cupping their hands in the shape of hearts.

There was nothing but love for Jackson.

Source: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2016055976_cr31jackson.html

Video: Janet Jackson Completes Second Leg of Up Close & Personal Tour

Last night Janet Jackson completed the final performance of the second leg of her North American tour at The Greek in Los Angeles. Nearly 8 months ago, the legendary performer announced her “Up Close and Personal” Tour — stating that she would hit the road for what seemed like an anemic 35 cities to start. But demand far outweighed supply, causing the singer to more than double her show dates as last night’s performance marked the 71st show in North America.

I had the distinct pleasure of watching her perform 3 stellar, sold-out shows at New York City’s Radio City Music Hall back in March. Read past coverage of the opening night show and watch video footage of Ms. Jackson in action. One thing is certain, this tour proved yet again that Ms. Jackson is not ready to take her final curtain call.

After the cut — enjoy video highlights of Janet Jackson’s final performance of the “Up Close and Personal” tour from The Greek in Los Angeles, CA — including “Rhythm Nation” and “Together Again.” You can tell an obviously touched Janet has thoroughly enjoyed herself with this tour as she spent nearly 3 minutes thanking the LA crowd.

Source: http://www.theroundtableonline.com/2011/09/video-janet-jackson-completes-second-leg-of-up-close-personal-tour/

Review: Janet Jackson at the Greek

There was a lot of Janet Jackson at the Greek Theatre Thursday night before Janet Jackson arrived onstage.

First she appeared in music-video form, as depicted in the futuristic 1995 clip for “Scream,” her aggrieved duet with her brother Michael. Next we saw her name darting across the wraparound screen at the rear of the stage; the visual was accompanied by Jackson’s disembodied voice delivering gnomic pronouncements on life, love and the nature of art.

And then, finally, the singer herself, a tiny, denim-wrapped woman surrounded by an extensive supporting cast: eight musicians, seven dancers and innumerable images of Jackson over the course of her long career in show business.

If her physical presence seemed overpowered by the accumulation of so much archival information, well, perhaps that was the point: Thursday’s concert was the final North American date of Jackson’s Number Ones: Up Close and Personal tour, a globe-circling production dedicated to showcasing her 25 years’ worth of number-one hits. (A best-of collection, Jackson’s second, came out in 2009.)

Unlike previous Jackson tours—think of her baroque late-’90s trek in support of “The Velvet Rope”—this one carries no discernible theme, no implied narrative beyond her own pop-star ubiquity. Indeed, the show has been pared down further since it first stopped in Los Angeles, at the Gibson Amphitheatre, for three nights in April; Jackson’s sole costume change Thursday was the removal of a white jean jacket.

The result, on one hand, served as a refreshingly straightforward accounting of Jackson’s music, much of which is vivid enough to withstand the transparent presentation. “Again,” a winsome ballad from 1993’s “Janet,” floated with an airiness befitting Jackson’s feathery voice (which she appeared to be using for most of the show). In contrast, “I Get Lonely,” from “The Velvet Rope,” plumbed relatively raw neo-soul depths.

Jackson made slight adjustments to several tunes, including “Miss You Much,” in which she accented the blocky dance-pop rhythm differently than she did in the 1989 studio version. But like many changes in Jackson’s life, these were cosmetic, inspired less by the desire to retrofit the songs, it seemed, than to revive her interest in material she’s performed countless times before. That they also flattered her fans’ attention to detail only strengthened Jackson’s claim that she owed it all to us.

As expertly as she moved through these proceedings, though, Jackson withheld much of what has made her a compelling personality for so long: her complicated notions of sex and romance, for instance, or the obsession with control that is an inevitable idée fixe in a life as examined as Jackson’s. A more meaningful experience—one better suited to her appealing idiosyncrasies—seemed to lurk within Thursday’s show, and maybe Jackson knew it. Why else would she have inserted a lengthy montage of film and TV clips (from the likes of “Good Times” and “Why Did I Get Married?”) in which she portrayed characters threatened by extreme circumstances? They were doing the heavy lifting Jackson declined to, and if you couldn’t blame her for taking the break, you couldn’t help noticing the lightness of her load, as well.

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/09/review-janet-jackson-at-the-greek.html

Archived