HITS DAILY DOUBLE FINAL SALES

DCNATION

I don't understand how they were able to. I thought they stopped artists from doing that after Prince and a couple of others did it years ago to keep their album sales high.

Me neither. When Prince tried it with Nielsen, they shut his business savvy ways down right quick. :lol:

So unless they found a loophole, or the rules have changed, or HITS is just reporting it wrong, then I dunno what's going on. :umm:

That's what I thought, but here's a blurb from HITS:

THRONE WATCHING: Jay-Z and Kanye West's Roc-a-Fella/Roc Nation album Watch the Throne broke the U.S. iTunes one-week sales record with nearly 290k downloads through Sunday night (8/14). The set was exclusively available at the Apple store from Aug. 8-11 before going on sale at digital and physical retailers Friday (8/12). The previous one-week iTunes record was set by Coldplay's 2008 album Viva La Vida, which moved 282k in its first week, and a total of 288k from all other digital retailers. With physical sales falling off over the weekend, Watch the Throne will debut at #1 tomorrow with 425k, which is less than had been predicted. Fully 75% of the total sales will be digital, including Ticketmaster, which is offering the option of a digital copy with every ticket purchased for the upcoming tour. (8/15p)

:unsure:

That's odd. Didn't Soundscan not count the sales of Prince's last album because it was being sold at the shows? :unsure:

Billboard Sours On Prince's Musicology Sales Experiment

"The new policy states that customers 'must be given an option to either add the CD to the ticket purchase or forgo the CD for a reduced ticket-only price,' with the CD price 'comparable to reasonable and customary retail pricing,' " wrote Billboard's Mayfied, announcing the revised rule in the magazine's June 5 edition.

"We're not going to let them sell the album for two bucks," Mayfield clarified. "If someone was trying to pass off an album that sells for $18.98 in stores for a two-buck premium ... No, I don't think so.

"If it's a new artist, and their album sells for five bucks," he added, considering the lower price tags some labels give to emerging artists, often under $10, "then I could see that."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1488027/billboard-sours-on-musicology-experiment.jhtml

----

They must've pulled something fishy. :umm:

Me neither. When Prince tried it with Nielsen, they shut his business savvy ways down right quick. :lol:

So unless they found a loophole, or the rules have changed, or HITS is just reporting it wrong, then I dunno what's going on. :umm:

Soundscan must be affiliated with the Illuminati :excited:

Archived