Ten years on: September 11

cnd

Raw audio reveals 9/11 chaos

RECORDINGS made during the terrifying chaos of the 9/11 hijackings have been made public for the first time.

"Did you just say somethin' hit the World Trade Centre?" an incredulous military official asked shortly after the beginning of America's terrorism nightmare on September 11, 2001.

Minutes later, with air traffic authorities warning that another commercial jet was off course and just 10km from the White House, Washington ground control sounded in denial, saying it was "probably just a rumour".

Moments later American Airlines Flight 77 slammed into the Pentagon.

The stunned reactions by authorities to first reports about 9/11, in the full exchanges between ground control, pilots and military authorities during the hijacking chaos of 10 years ago were made public yesterday. They illustrate just how unprepared the United States was for the audacious plot.

While portions of the audio recordings have circulated before, the document published by the Rutgers Law Review allows an unprecedented blow-by-blow recreation of the brief period on September 11, 2001, when four airliners were hijacked and slammed into New York, the Pentagon and a Pennsylvania field.

The raw recordings released in the run-up to the 10th anniversary of the tragedy show air controllers desperately trying to understand what happened to the planes, where they were, and where they were going.

In one exchange, a controller at New York Centre says that there were reports of a fire at the Twin Towers. "And that's, ah, that's the area where we lost the airplane," the controller says.

At the same time, an unidentified pilot is asking over the airwaves: "Anybody know what that smoke is in lower Manhattan?"

At Boston Centre control, a worker says: "We have, ah, a problem here, we have a hijacked aircraft headed towards New, New York and we need you guys to, we need someone to scramble some F-16s or something up there to help us out."

The answer, revealing the astonishment at what was happening, is: "Is, is this real world or exercise?"

Even at 8:43, a full 19 minutes after suspected American Airlines Flight 11 hijacker Mohamed Atta broadcast to air traffic control that "We have some planes", and nine minutes after Boston Centre notifies controllers of the flight's hijacking, Major James Fox, leader of the Northeast Air Defense Sector who is patched in to the breaking developments, expresses disbelief.

"I've never seen so much real-world stuff happen during an exercise," Major Fox said, according to the transcript.

As millions of Americans tuning in to news broadcasts watched the second jet hitting the World Trade Centre, New York air traffic controllers sounded dumbfounded at the events.

"Another one just hit, just hit the building," a controller said, according to the transcript.

New York Centre: "Wow."

New York Terminal Radar Approach Control (TRACON): "Oh my god."

New York Centre: "Another one just hit the World Trade."

New York TRACON: "The whole building just, ah, came apart."

New York TRACON: "Oh my god."

New York Centre: "Holy smokes. Alright. I guess you guys are going to be busy."

Even at 9:38, 35 minutes after the second plane hit the Twin Towers, controllers in Washington sounded sceptical about hijacked Flight 77 bearing down on the US capital.

When asked whether they knew anything about controller reports that a rogue jet was near the White House, Washington Centre responded: "No, we do not and it's probably just a rumour.

"But ah, you might want to call ah, ah, National (airport) or Andrews somebody (Andrews Air Force base) somewhere like that and find out, but we don't (know) any thing about that."

The recordings, which also include tragic exchanges with flight attendants on Flight 11 about how two of their colleagues had been knifed and hijackers were in the cockpit, were first reported by The New York Times yesterday.

The full Rutgers report and audio can be accessed at: http://wwww.rutgerslawreview.com/2011/a-new-type-of-war/

http://www.news.com.au/features/september-11-anniversary/raw-audio-reveals-911-chaos/story-fn9pvfio-1226132752775#ixzz1XRqjxeA0

9/11: The Photographs That Moved Them Most

On September 11, 2001, photography editors across the world, overcome with a deluge of devastating imagery, faced the daunting task of selecting photos that would go on to define a catastrophe like no other. A decade later, TIME asked a wide variety of the industry’s leading photo editors, photographers, authors, educators, and bloggers to tell us which image moved them most—and why.

See the photos: http://lightbox.time.com/2011/09/08/911-the-photographs-that-moved-them-most/#1

I was home that day over my grandparents' house. All four were at my dad's parents' house. I remember dadima just grabbing me and holding me as close as possible, and abuela ran over and the three of us embraced. The five of us shed tears like floods.

It doesn't feel like 10 years.

I was home that day over my grandparents' house. All four were at my dad's parents' house. I remember dadima just grabbing me and holding me as close as possible, and able ran over and the three os us embraced. The five of us shed tears like floods.

It doesn't feel like 10 years.

I know right! It has flown by so fast...makes me feel old. I was in my 8th grade homeroom and our extremely obese English teacher came in crying and told our teacher to turn it to the news. Then the principal came on the intercom and instructed the teachers to turn on the news. We basically ended up searching what happened online, because all the news channels were a hot mess and stumbling over information.

I know right! It has flown by so fast...makes me feel old. I was in my 8th grade homeroom and our extremely obese English teacher came in crying and told our teacher to turn it to the news. Then the principal came on the intercom and instructed the teachers to turn on the news. We basically ended up searching what happened online, because all the news channels were a hot mess and stumbling over information.

Everybody was in a total fit that day. This really proves that there is a tragic event in every generation that everyone remembers where they were. For my parents, it was MLK's assassination. For my grandparents, it was Pearl Harbor. This was ours, and all are beyond belief and will bring you to your knees with shock and sadness.

Everybody was in a total fit that day. This really proves that there is a tragic event in every generation that everyone remembers where they were. For my parents, it was MLK's assassination. For my grandparents, it was Pearl Harbor. This was ours, and all are beyond belief and will bring you to your knees with shock and sadness.

-_- I believe one of the future generations will have WWIII. -_-

Such a sad event in history, the effects of which we're still dealing with. Though I'm over it (do they need to replay the same documentaries every year?) my heart goes out to every person who lost a loved on one that day.

And a big +1 to the firemen, police officers and all the other people that worked their ass off trying to rescue people around that time!

I'm not posting this to stan, but this performance was so powerful:

I remember when she got so much shit for being a Canadian and singing that song. And then of course the whole "you're either with us or against us" mentality kicked in. Such bullshit. :filenails:

9/11 reflection pools the new soul of New York

CARVED into simple bronze plaques around the edges of two gigantic reflecting pools, the names march on in quiet dignity, each memorializing one of the nearly 3000 lives taken on September 11, 2001.

All around the names, what was once the site of the World Trade Centre is a mammoth, pulsing construction plaza as thousands of workers toil 24 hours a day to erect new skyscrapers, a new transportation hub and a museum in the space that ten years ago was a crater of rubble and sorrow.

But the soul of the brawny space on six hectares in downtown Manhattan is The National September 11 Memorial, a green plaza within a noisy, dust-filled building zone, a monument to loss and absence symbolised by watery voids where the two soaring towers once stood.

Now, you have to look down where once you looked up.

Above all, the Memorial - opening to family members September 11 and the public September 12 - is a tribute to all those who died that day in New York, Washington and a Pennsylvania field, their lives and names forever joined.

It's the names, some 2982 meticulously choreographed around the edges of the waterfalls cascading into the granite-lined abyss below, that are at its heart.

They have been stencil-cut into the bronze in specially arranged order: instead of a litany of names listed alphabetically, or chronologically, they are grouped according to those who actually died together.

In the place of a river of names, there are islands - or what designer and architect Michael Arad has called "archipelagos."

So the crew and passengers of each flight are together, those working in each tower and as far as possible, each office, are together, the first responders are together, those at the Pentagon are together. There's also an "island" for those killed in the February 26, 1993 attack on the WTC.

And within each grouping of names, there's often a more personal and usually entirely private note: the families of those lost could request "meaningful adjacencies" - in other words, two people who were perhaps relatives or close friends or longtime workmates or even met in their last minutes but died together could be listed side by side.

More than 1200 adjacency requests were made and all were filled.

One of the more poignant adjacencies is that of Victor Wald and Harry Ramos, who began the morning of September 11, 2001 as total strangers.

Wald, a 49-year-old stockbroker at Avalon Partners on the 84th floor of the North Tower, managed to get down as far as the 55th floor - where he encountered Ramos, head trader at the May Davis Group, a small investment bank.

Ramos, 46, stopped in the stairwell to aid Wald, who had suffered from rheumatic fever and was long bedridden as a child. Witnesses said Ramos told Wald: "I'm not going to leave you."

They were last seen sitting together before the building collapsed; now they are united once more at the request of both families.

Abby Ross Goodman is another family member who requested an adjacency. By the cruelest of coincidences, her father, Richard Ross, a 58-year-old Massachusetts businessman, was aboard American Air Lines Flight 11, which struck the North Tower where her best friend, Stacy Sanders, 25, was working on the 96th floor.

"It is heartbreaking and beautiful to think of them together that way," Goodman said about their now-adjoining names. "And it will be so special to be able to reflect on them so closely."

Family members have been reunited as well - even when it takes special solutions. John Vigiano, a 36-year-old New York firefighter, is the last name in the Fire Department section of the First Responders "island." Next to him, his brother Joseph, 34, a detective, leads off the Police Department section.

"The Memorial is evidence that we will go on and the terrorists' effort to destroy only made us stronger," said Denise Kelly.

Kelly, who lost her brother, three-year-old nephew and brother's partner, all passengers aboard the flight that hit the South Tower, said: "It is so important to our family that Daniel, David and Ron's names be together on the memorial. They were such a beautiful family and we appreciate that they will be remembered that way."

Arad, the architect, said some families were unable to recover any remains, so where their loved one's name is inscribed "becomes the spot where they perished. It's not a space in a listing, it's a physical place."

And while he didn't deal directly with those placing adjacency requests, "you see the names of the people and you think for example, 'oh, they must be from the same country.' You sort of imagine narratives and that's important too.

"I don't think anyone will ever know completely what happened that day but you can hear their individual stories one by one and be moved by them."

He said he still doesn't know the reasons behind many adjacency requests "but it's not for us to ask. It's for us to make it happen."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/features/september-11-anniversary/reflection-pools-the-new-soul-of-new-york/story-fn9pvfio-1226131251161#ixzz1XXsjOcSC

We know of the day Pearl Harbor was attacked

We remember when Kennedy was killed

We remember the day the towers fell: and think back

At how our patriotism was fully refilled

We remember the days, those tear-flooded days

Where our faith was shaken and still we said

“Unite! For all!” with our star-banner raised

And there hope and faith began to spread

Archived