Billboard Hot 100 or UK Singles

Illi

Better charting methodologies?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which chart most accurately measures a song's popularity?

• Billboard Hot 100 - sales and airplay
    • UK Singles - sales only

Which chart most accurately measures the popularity of a song?

The Billboard Hot 100 - Airplay, sales, and a few other thing not as significant.

UK singles - Sales only

I'll probably say Hot 100. You have to work your way for your song to be popular. It also emphasize a song's longevity. It also lends a hand to genre's where sales are dire, which makes lower position more important than on a sales on chart.

Throw your 2 cents in!!!!!

I'd honestly say neither are more accurate. Before downloading I'd have voted for UK but these days it's much too easy to own your fav song without purchasing it or turning on the radio.

But try to leave illegal downloads out of the equation.

But try to leave illegal downloads out of the equation.

You can't really leave illegal downloads out of the equation though. If there were no illegal downloads, people would actually be forced to support the artist/song, thus adding more potential numbers for charting purposes. The fact that there are illegal downloads effects charting because those downloads obviously don't count toward charting. A ridiculously popular song that's being illegally downloaded 10x as much as "the #1 song" -- that's being legally downloaded -- is getting absolutely zero credit for its 'achievement'. That throws accuracy in terms of legitimate charting into question.

You can't really leave illegal downloads out of the equation though. If there were no illegal downloads, people would actually be forced to support the artist/song, thus adding more potential numbers for charting purposes. The fact that there are illegal downloads effects charting because those downloads obviously don't count toward charting. A ridiculously popular song that's being illegally downloaded 10x as much as "the #1 song" -- that's being legally downloaded -- is getting absolutely zero credit for its 'achievement'. That throws accuracy in terms of legitimate charting into question.

I understand that. What I mean is what does a better job of doing what it's intended to do.

BUt if you want to talk about that, I think that airplay helps to kinda offset that, especially for genre where sales are dire in the first place (mainly R&B)

The reason I ask this because I read a few stories about UK artists bailing on singles to save face for bad airplay. ie The UK system gives artists leverage to save face if the single is not exactly catching on to radio. I rather an artist face the music and chalk that single as a flop. Hope I'm clear.

^ Is all of UK radio public?? That's what I'm getting as I'm researching.

I believe so. They do have request shows every now and again but often they don't play certain songs 'because they don't have them'....

Both have their flaws, but I've always believed sales are a far greater measure of a song's popularity. So, sales only/UK singles.

But the UK number ones seem so random to me. It probably has more to do with that fact that I'm not completely familiar with the UK music industry, but I find many of these number ones very forgettable. With the BBH100, an artist has to work to win us over. Most number ones in the U.S. seem at least somewhat memorable.

I do like the UK charts is more of an event there than in the US.

Archived