I really need to move somewhere else

LyricalLesson

...I've got some bills, but I am financially stable where I'm at. I live on my own, have two jobs (one of which I just got a nice promotion at) and I'm slowly getting school done. Where I live, is around my immediate family whom I love to death (we're tight-knit), there's not much crime at all, the people are very nice, considerate, and hospitable. It's a great place to start a family and have your kids grow up.

...BUT...

I know I don't belong here. I've got so many goals and aspirations to fulfill, and I know I'm just not going to be able to do it from here. I love my fam, but I know I could survive without living close to them. As well as friends: I've got lots of acquaintences here, but very few friends. I'm working 95% of the time, there's not much to do here for fun, so at 23 I feel like I'm kind of wasting my youth away.

I've decided that after I pay my bills off (I'm giving myself a deadline of early 2013, no later than my 25th birthday in March) I'm moving somewhere else.

I have ALWAYS wanted to move to NYC, I just feel like it's a good fit for me. I know it's expensive. I know the crime rates are high. I know it's tough to find a job and "make" it over there. But I almost would feel like a chump for not trying.

Unless...there's somewhere else that's a well-rounded place to live.

And that's where you come in, buddies :) Is your city a great place to live? Throw some places at me. I'm dead serious about this.

I'm moving out of here the first chance I get. Which is college. If I don't go to NYC myself by going to Columbia University, I'm going to Columbia College Chicago. Specialty Arts school. I'm still learning myself so I can't help all too much, :lol: But if I had any advice to give, I say move to a place well suited for your craft. Since you're nearly done with school, maybe a place that has a recording studio or two. Which requires some searching.

...I've got some bills, but I am financially stable where I'm at. I live on my own, have two jobs (one of which I just got a nice promotion at) and I'm slowly getting school done. Where I live, is around my immediate family whom I love to death (we're tight-knit), there's not much crime at all, the people are very nice, considerate, and hospitable. It's a great place to start a family and have your kids grow up.

...BUT...

I know I don't belong here. I've got so many goals and aspirations to fulfill, and I know I'm just not going to be able to do it from here. I love my fam, but I know I could survive without living close to them. As well as friends: I've got lots of acquaintences here, but very few friends. I'm working 95% of the time, there's not much to do here for fun, so at 23 I feel like I'm kind of wasting my youth away.

I've decided that after I pay my bills off (I'm giving myself a deadline of early 2013, no later than my 25th birthday in March) I'm moving somewhere else.

I have ALWAYS wanted to move to NYC, I just feel like it's a good fit for me. I know it's expensive. I know the crime rates are high. I know it's tough to find a job and "make" it over there. But I almost would feel like a chump for not trying.

And that's where you come in, buddies :) Is your city a great place to live? Throw some places at me. I'm dead serious about this.

a few things, at a younger age you are better able to pull a big move off, because the longer you stay in one spot the harder it becomes to leave, secondly your family doesn't have to be far away, I could move to Chicago which would be a huge step and my family would be 4 hours away. Secondly know where you want to go and why, everyone thinks the best of NY, but I have never been but from those i know that have they say people are just plain rude, and to top it off they are happy to come back from NY.

NYC is safe....i think we are the safest largest city in America :)

some neighborhoods arent the safest, but thats just like anywhere else u go....

for me NYC is a bit overrated, but i couldn't see myself living anywhere else (except maybe San Francisco).

a few things, at a younger age you are better able to pull a big move off, because the longer you stay in one spot the harder it becomes to leave, secondly your family doesn't have to be far away, I could move to Chicago which would be a huge step and my family would be 4 hours away. Secondly know where you want to go and why, everyone thinks the best of NY, but I have never been but from those i know that have they say people are just plain rude, and to top it off they are happy to come back from NY.

we arent rude, we just have diff priorities than ppl from the rest of the country, and we value our time. I have noticed that in other parts of the country (as well as other parts of the word), people are way more relaxed. In NYC, we hate when things go slow. We need things to happen ASAP. People that walk slowly in the street annoy us b/c that could cause us to miss the light, which might cause us to miss the train, which could cause us to be late for work etc. Also, we just dont care about other people. Our city is so huge that we hardly know our neighbors, so it's not like u can knock on the door for a cup of sugar or something. It's not rude, in a city w/ 10million people there are a lot of crazies, it's about being safe and keeping one's guard up @ all times.

I definitely encourage moving if you have the desire - I think there's something really refreshing about getting out and being in a new place (I tend to feel reinvigorated when I live somewhere else - when I'm in my hometown, I get stuck in a rut).

In terms of where you should go - I feel like different cities have different personalities. If you feel like New York is the place for you, go for it!

Archived