Just watched "Donnie Darko" . . .

LyricalLesson

I had never seen the movie before...my friend was trippin. He let me borrow it.

I just got done watching it, and overall I think I really liked it.. I thought everyone played their parts well: Jake Gyllenhaal, Drew Barrymore, Katherine Moss, Patrick Swayze, Jena Malone, Noah Wyle, the under-used and heralded Maggie Gyllenhaal etc.) And the story was refreshingly different, albeit VERY weird. A few very short times it dragged a bit, mostly in the beginning. And there were a few scenes that were unnecessary. But as a whole, I was very impressed. Especially with Jake, this was some of his finest acting I've ever seen. Some of the characters cracked me up (Donnie's friends, the chubby Asian girl, Grandmother Death, that bitchy ass teacher especially :lmao:) And the second to last scene where "Mad World" by Gary Jules plays -- it's perfection -- the simple panning imagery combined with that eerie and vulnerable vocal was artistically stunning to me. I can honestly say that I went through the movie thinking I knew what was gonna happen in the end, only to find out that I was dead wrong. Very unexpected, and melancholy ending.

Have you seen it? How do you feel about it?

Archived